chasmmi

Top 100 Video Game Countdown Thread | We've Reached the Top 20

On 11/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, chasmmi said:

64th

Squirtle (86 points, 2 top 10) 

First off, I never realised until watching that video, that Eric Cartman voiced Squirtle. Interesting choice. 

Anyhow, we are back in the world of Pokemon with everybody's favourite squirting turtle. The only original starter Pokemon to make our list as The flower Dinosaur thing finished up in 122nd, and the fire dragon was down in 206th.

Wait, you have a choice of a dinosaur, a dragon and a turtle? Who picks a turtle?

WTF Bulbasaur didn’t make it

worst list ever

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2019 at 6:45 AM, chasmmi said:

47th

Doom Guy - Doom (100 points, 1 First) 

And just a couple places above Nukes is the original FPS shooter protagonist (Wait.. Wolfenstein was first? Or did I dream that?... Let me go check... oh yeah Wolfie was first, not even close.) 

Anyhow Doom became an iconic game and thus apparently this makes the bloke with the gun and iconic guy. I mean, each to his own, but personally, the fact that this and Nuke'em finished 40 places above Blazkowicz is criminal.

But that is just me. 

40th

Kirby - Kirby sucks everything and everyone 64 in the Stars. (116 points) 

I have never played a Kirby game. It just kind of passed me by as a franchise, When I was super young, it was on a slight hiatus as a home console character, and then when it came back to consoles, it just looked a little too young for me. 

therfore, I know him purely as a proto-jigglypuff that hits things with a mallet. 

• Like 4

39th

Yoshi - Also has some random franchise or two of his own now. (118 points) 

Another Nintendo darling makes the list in 40th. Yoshi was a great addition to the Mario series and many a dinosaur has perished so that a fat Italian man may live. 

We salute you all. But not enough to not happily let you die of course. 

• Like 4

38th

Elena Fisher. (119 points, 1 top 10) 

When I tried out the Uncharted game, I expected some fun adventures, cool cutscenes, maybe some memorable moments. I was not expecting the relationship of protagonist and girl that protagonist falls for to be one of the best features. 

But Naughty Dog really does do characters well (probably why everybody wants all their games to be films, and then also get sad when every film announced gets horribly brutalised and miscast). 

• Like 3

37th

Sully Sullivan, The Sullster, Big Sull - Uncharted. (124 points, 2 top 10) 

When I tried out the Uncharted game, I expected some fun adventures, cool cutscenes, maybe some memorable moments. I was not expecting the relationship of protagonist and and his mentor to be one of the best features. 

But Naughty Dog really does to characters well (probably why everybody wants all their games to be films, and then also get sad when every film announced gets horribly brutalised and miscast). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36th

Big Boss - Metal Gear Solid. (124 points, 1 first) 

I am currently playing my first Kojima Game since flirting with PS1 Metal Gear Solid. Therefore I cannot tell you a lot about Big Boss, or whether he is the same as Boss, or Solid, or Liquid, or if he is even a he and possibly maybe a she. And if he is a she, I cannot tell you how many scenes involve her declothing for very important narrative reasons. 

All I know is that the character has a lot of fans, and it's probably in part down to some nonsense thing they did in one of the games at some point. 

• Like 2

35th

Tails - Sonic (124 points, 1 top 5) 

Tails is still the original and best Side character in a Sonic Game. He is useful, different, and isn't just another kind of hedgehog like creature painted a moodier colour. Hell his name is a fun little pun, that's like the opposite of edgy (smoothy?)

I look forward to him one day getting a mansion based spin off game. 

• Like 3

34th

Cloud - Mario (126 points, 1 top 5) 

Of all the additions to the Mario universe over the years, nothing was as game changing as the Lakitu cloud. I mean whether its full fat Mario, or the go kart bonanza, The Lakitu Cloud revolutionized everything in the franchise and maybe even saved the Nintendo company at a time when Sega was looking to wipe it off the map. 

Truly an all time classic and its a shambles that it ranked so low....

Wait? What's that? What?... really... 

34th

Cloud - Final Fantasy (126 points, 1 top 5) 

It turns out the actual Cloud that was voted for was some yellow haired JRPG guy from the 90s who got all sad when some other guy stabbed a potato woman from behind. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33rd

Cortana - Halo (127 points, 2 top 10) 

Proof that nomatter what the franchise or genre, sexy, half naked, blue people from space are always popular. Cortana is from the surprisingly Angel-less Halo series and now means that we have 2 Halo characters on our top 100 list. 

Will any more follow?

P

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

32nd

Waluigi - Super Smash... oh :( umm Mario Tennis (132 points, 1 top 5, 1 top 10) 

He's Luigi, but purple... and weird. How can you ever top that? Other companies have to go to great lengths to create new iconic characters, Nintendo just has to spray paint an already spray painted design and gold is the result. 

Waluigi is Life, Waluigi is Love, Waluigi is suffering, Waluigi is despair.

Follow the purple. 

• Like 4

31st

Joker - Arkham Series (133 points, 1 top 5) 

After decades in the acting industry, who would have thought that the first good role Mark Hamill would ever have would be voice acting a Batman game? 

But I have to say, despite being the lead of rancid franchise film after rancid franchise film, it was surprising to see that he had it in him to be in something entertaining. I am genuinely glad to see him land on his feet, and hopefully proved a launching pad for a critically successful  twilight to his career. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

30th

Dutch Van Der Linde - Red Dead (135 points, 1 top 10) 

I had a really great plan for this post. It was a perfect plan, and I was positive that if I just stuck to the plan nothing would go wrong. Sure it was ambitious and true it required funds to pull off, but it was a plan all the same. 

Sadly, I never managed to raise the capital for the plan I had, as the only income available to be was the tens of thousands of dollars one gruff cowboy kept giving to be on a weekly basis. So instead I decided to just fuck off and dither about on some island for 7 hours because why the fuck not eh? 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

30th

I had a really great plan for this post. It was a perfect plan, and I was positive that if I just stuck to the plan nothing would go wrong. Sure it was ambitious and true it required funds to pull off, but it was a plan all the same. 

Sadly, I never managed to raise the capital for the plan I had, as the only income available to be was the tens of thousands of dollars one gruff cowboy kept giving to be on a weekly basis. So instead I decided to just fuck off and dither about on some island for 7 hours because why the fuck not eh? 

That was all part of the plan! 

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

30th

You gotta have FAITH

29th

Gordon Freeman - Halflife 3 (137 points, 1 top 5, 1 top 10) 

And now we have a surprise as the breakout spinoff character from Valve's upcoming VR tour de Farce, makes his way into the top 30. This is proof that underdog stories still happen.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

28th

Dante - Devil May Cry (137 points, 2 top 5,) 

IN 28th place, we get a player whose popularity stems from his smoldering good looks, combined with some super hip bragadociousness. 

It is so refreshing to see a capcom hero not be some silver haired anime model carrying a silly over-sized sword. You gotta love it.  

• Like 3

27th

Mewtwo - Pokemon Beige (149 points, 1 top 5, 1 top 5,) 

If Black Panther was designed by Deviant Art...

Mewtwo is the most Mewy of Mews in the Pokemon universe. He has at least 4 different moves, each of which are capable of doing something that negatively affects the opposing Pocket dweller. In fact if you combined Mewtwo with a red herb, it can turn into shotgun shells... I think I may have shuffled my notes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26th

Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot (156 points, 2 top 5) 

All I know about Crash Bandicoot is that Nathan Drake is not very good at it, and he is the front man for a very competent cart racing game that was ruined by horrible online matchmaking and pretty shameless monetization.  

As Knuckles already appeared in 79th ish, this also makes crash the most popular random Australian thing you never realised was based on a real animal. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1