Jamiem

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 558m OS 1.073B WW

1 hour ago, Bart Allen said:

With the WOM being ABSOLUTELY POOR, this isn't looking good - especially when you factor out the Asia market ~

Should be fun 😂

Well, you don't know WOM yet. You know critics opinions. They were great for SW8 though and you know what happened...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Well, you don't know WOM yet. You know critics opinions. They were great for SW8 though and you know what happened...

Yeah, I know what happened: it bombed in China, and made over $700 million less than The Force Awakens, and didn't exactly give any good-faith with Solo's box office nor some of the attractions at Galaxy's Edge, not to mention Rise of the Resistance - which opened a few weeks ago - landed significantly below what Disney had expected ~

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Yeah, I know what happened: it bombed in China, and made over $700 million less than The Force Awakens, and didn't exactly give any good-faith with Solo's box office nor some of the attractions at Galaxy's Edge, not to mention Rise of the Resistance - which opened a few weeks ago - landed significantly below what Disney had expected ~

What I meant: good critics don't translate to good WOM and maybe it's the same the other way round. Audiences could like the amount of fan service the movie seems to offer (I won't see SW9 before Monday so I can't really say much on that untill then) or the damage that SW8 did is irreversible.

At this point SW is dead in many parts of the world and SW9 relies heavily on a few countries that (after the predecessor) might want opinions of fans rather than critics. We'll see...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Aristis said:

What I meant: good critics don't translate to good WOM and maybe it's the same the other way round. Audiences could like the amount of fan service the movie seems to offer (I won't see SW9 before Monday so I can't really say much on that untill then) or the damage that SW8 did is irreversible.

At this point SW is dead in many parts of the world and SW9 relies heavily on a few countries that (after the predecessor) might want opinions of fans rather than critics. We'll see...

Oh no, you're absolutely right there :3

But in this case I believe this scenario is where the critics and the audience converge on many points - or at least in agreement that TROS is not a particularly well made film. You're right and I agree, but when social media plays a rather crucial role as of late it's somewhat interesting. But I very much am anticipating the second-weekend drop, and it would be rather funny if Joker ends up getting close to TROS' final total - stranger things have happened 🤣😂

Paris 14H numbers :

-18% comp. The Last Jedi

-33% comp. The Force Awakens

Paris Peripherie :

TFA: 36 360 (73 theaters)

TLJ: 29 063 (83 theaters)

TROS: 25 621 (114 / -29.5% / -12%)

Important to note that Paris subway system is still exposed to important strikes that lead 10 metro lines to not working.

Edited by Bastien
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bastien said:

Paris 14H numbers :

-18% comp. The Last Jedi

-33% comp. The Force Awakens

Important to note that Paris subway system is still exposed to important strikes that lead 10 metro lines to not working.

How much do you think the strikes may affect things?

34 minutes ago, Menor said:

How much do you think the strikes may affect things?

Hard to say...

It didn't really impact last week's releases but those were much tinier movies... 

Looking to the peripheric numbers I added to my previous post, it seems the strikes did affect the movie since those numbers are slightly better !

Edited by Bastien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Strikes aren't blocking theaters though and people not being able to work might have time for watching the movie so I don't think there's a noticeable impact.

In that case it seems like a poor sign...already starting at 18% under TLJ and then with possibly bad reactions.

21 minutes ago, Menor said:

In that case it seems like a poor sign...already starting at 18% under TLJ and then with possibly bad reactions.

Well, if people didn't like The Last Jedi then it might suffer from it even if it's not its fault...Wait&See.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, if people didn't like The Last Jedi then it might suffer from it even if it's not its fault...Wait&See.

If people didn’t like TLJ or TROS, then that’s double trouble. Open on the low side due to TLJ and leg on the low side due to TROS itself. A very plausible scenario atm.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

8 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

If people didn’t like TLJ or TROS, then that’s double trouble. Open on the low side due to TLJ and leg on the low side due to TROS itself. A very plausible scenario atm.

Exactly :( That's why I said I won't be surprised if it doesn't make more than Joker ~ 

3 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Yeahhh ~ But any new projections? I just can't wait for the second-weekend numbers eek they need to hurry up lol ~

I didn't try to make projections for that one as I'm not very interested in the movie itself...However I must say I'm more confident Frozen 2 will beat it worldwide while it was closer to 50/50 before these reviews.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fullbuster said:

I didn't try to make projections for that one as I'm not very interested in the movie itself...However I must say I'm more confident Frozen 2 will beat it worldwide while it was closer to 50/50 before these reviews.

Yeah, I agree ~ I'm really sure too that Frozen 2 will beat it - yeah, I don't think TROS will come close to Frozen 2 at this rate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Frozen will get close to 1.4B (1.37B or so) so that was always a pretty tall order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1