Jamiem

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 558m OS 1.073B WW

33 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

Fear not everyone! Lets all forget about The Rise of Skywalker potentially bombing in Germany, Italy, China, and becoming the lowest grossing opening-day Star Wars film in France since 1983 - Finland will set everything right, trust me on this :3

But seriously I fear that the WOM is utterly damaging right now :( Should be interesting to see Finland's second-weekend drop ~

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Marathon said:

That's strange. The weekend showtimes at the biggest theater chain have only very little sell-outs. I guess this opening is massively OD-heavy, then.

It’s a finale everywhere, so OD heavy everywhere shouldn’t be surprising. Of course that’s not what a movie with lower than expected ODs wants to hear, so.... let’s see

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marathon said:

If it does better here than TLJ (too early to say yet) then yes, it would be an outlier vis-à-vis rest of Europe. But as I said, too early to tell just yet. Let's see the full OW (if it's OD-frontloaded) and of course the effect of WOM.

Exactly; the second-weekend is far more important in my opinion ~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

@Jedi Jat We should get the OS wednesday numbers in the next 2 hours right?

Yeah. I am not tracking this as markets we get dailies won't be big enough for this one. Also not really a breakout or something. I am not even interested in domestic tracking now as sub $500mn, which this can be is big off.

Endgame killed box office for us man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jedi Jat said:

Yeah. I am not tracking this as markets we get dailies won't be big enough for this one. Also not really a breakout or something. I am not even interested in domestic tracking now as sub $500mn, which this can be is big off.

Well yeah EG OW might be as big as TROS total WW gross :o It will take while to beat that yeah..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Last couple of days have been such a bummer. Things were looking okay up till then. I am still hoping for a positive surprise but not expecting it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Last couple of days have been such a bummer. Things were looking okay up till then. I am still hoping for a positive surprise but not expecting it.

Idk, it was low from starting tbh. See the post in Tracking thread. It was just a week back when pace seemed like upped to coming back to normal again.

5 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Idk, it was low from starting tbh. See the post in Tracking thread. It was just a week back when pace seemed like upped to coming back to normal again.

Yeah it started a bit low though not far behind TLJ, but the last two days have made "low" into "potential disaster" (emphasis on potential). And especially after like you said last week it was making up a lot of ground only to stall in release week and have disappointing ODs across markets.

PS: I thought people might be interested in this text I wrote about the demographics of moviegoing in France that isl ikely to happen in the whole western world, it really makes you think about what happens next:

It is about the French market but I feel like the trends must be similar across the Western world as a whole given the reasons have nothing to do with culture. The source of this is an article in French and I thought it was fascinating enough to deserve a discussion.

To sum it up:

-2019 will be a new record in terms of admissions for the French market, Europe's most dynamic: 215 million admissions.

-This has been a decade of box office flirting with records, holding on very well.

Then, how the hell is that a sign of decline? Well, what's interesting here is the way they go beyond these numbers and give a glance at the demographics of cinema-goers:

Between 2010 and 2019 the composition of the audience radically changed: the number of young viewers declined by 20 millions while the numbers of seniors increased by 20 millions, helping the box office to stay strong.

Why is it happening? 2 reasons according to the CNC (National Center of Cinema): The rise of digital options and ticket prices.

The thing is, seniors won't be there forever...What happens when they die while young people are increasingly deserting theaters?

I feel like we might be in the Golden Age of theaters and Box Office but it might come to an end in 5-10 years, slowly but surely....On a global level it's gonna hold on thanks to the growth of non-Western markets but the trends will also come to these countries at some point.

Firms like Disney have nothing to fear, they have digital platforms like Disney+ turned toward the young generation and the future but theaters on the other hand might end up like video game stores who started to massively decline 10 years ago with the development of online retail (Amazon and local competitors) and digital platforms (Steam, PSN, eShop..etc..).

Of course I'm open to any argument suggesting it's not gonna happen, I only suggest it from this data. Have a nice day!

SOURCE:

https://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/cinema-les-jeunes-se-detournent-les-seniors-toujours-plus-nombreux-20191205

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aristis said:

You're really obsessed with 2nd WE hold :ph34r:

I don't think it will be too bad actually - christmas eve on Tuesday seems like good position for BO.

Well it's the most important hold as you'll be able to tell so much - plus it removes a great majority of the pre-booked tickets out of the equation.

But OOOOOOO ~