Blankments

PSA: Box Office Mojo Redesign ... Numbers Saves The Day With Theater Counts

Man, how are we even going to get theater counts for this thing?

At least the old BoxOfficeMojo website was up-to-date with everything, this one has a lot of wrong data and issues. Everything else is behind a paywall.

Edited by Xftg123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Not only that, the release years. The new BOM site goes up to 2020 and that's it, the old one went up to 2021 and beyond those numbers, and it was organized.

I hope there's enough of a backlash that they include all the other data (I'm assuming they didn't just turf it). I heard they were in dire need of a software upgrade so on some level I get that changes were necessary. However I refuse to believe they couldn't have closely mirrored the old layout. I also refuse to believe that they absolutely needed to monetize some of the data. This is simply a case of a corporation saying "Hey, look at all those people congregating on this website getting data for their hobby. How DARE they do it for free?!?!".

• Like 2

@JB33

I mean, if there's enough in terms of backlash, then it's possible. Seeing how there was ones with Sonic, James Gunn, and Spider-Man to get everything back in order, then Box Office Mojo can too. It just needs to be trending or something like that in order for them to take notice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I hope there's enough of a backlash that they include all the other data (I'm assuming they didn't just turf it). I heard they were in dire need of a software upgrade so on some level I get that changes were necessary. However I refuse to believe they couldn't have closely mirrored the old layout. I also refuse to believe that they absolutely needed to monetize some of the data. This is simply a case of a corporation saying "Hey, look at all those people congregating on this website getting data for their hobby. How DARE they do it for free?!?!".

I'd be stunned if anything happens. They didn't care when they shuttered the forum and they won't care with the entire site.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

They didn't care when they shuttered the forum and they won't care with the entire site

Man, they are going to lose a LOT of people. The fact that there are those who want to check out the box office numbers be it for fun, using it as a source, finding out about records, etc, has now been put behind a paywall sucks.

• Like 1

Being behind paywalls isn't too much of an issue.  Maintenance ain't free and if ads weren't supporting it I could see gating some more esoteric info to keep the site afloat.

No, it's making everything far worse to use AND removing various bells and whistles which is the problem.

If they moved that more arcane data behind a wall (and not necessarily IMDBPro's wall but a smaller scale one)?  Fine. Whatever. A lot of folks would complain... but it'd still be there.  But it's the scattering everything to the winds and removing actual useful features (as far as we know) which is the deal breaker here.

Lots of things that were drill-downable don't seem to be as easily accessed.  If they are at all.

• Like 7

Just now, Porthos said:

Being behind paywalls isn't too much of an issue.  Maintenance ain't free and if ads weren't supporting it I could see gating some more esoteric info to keep the site afloat.

No, it's making everything far worse to use AND removing various bells and whistles which is the problem.

If they moved that more arcane data behind a wall (and not necessarily IMDBPro's wall but a smaller scale one)?  Fine. Whatever. A lot of folks would complain... but it'd still be there.  But it's the scattering everything to the winds and removing actual useful features (as far as we know) which is the deal breaker here.

Lots of things that were drill-downable don't seem to be as easily accessed.  If they are at all.

They have gone from a very intuitive design in which everything led to somewhere else logically to whatever this new arrangement is. It's like they tested to find out what the most annoying interface would be and decided to use that one.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They have gone from a very intuitive design in which everything led to somewhere else logically to whatever this new arrangement is. It's like they tested to find out what the most annoying interface would be and decided to use that one.

Near as I can tell, they are going for an extremely dumbed down interface for Teh Casuals.  Basically for the folks who want to know surface level info about a movie or time period and that's it.  

Beyond that, again as I look, most of the 'next level' info is still catering to slightly more interested box office watchers, but still on the casual end.  When looked at "how can we deliver content to casually interested folks in as easy way as possible" I almost can make sense of the design.

But, yes, when it comes to any sort of power using (and I am using the loosest sense of the term power user here) it really is exceedingly annoying and counter-intuitive.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Near as I can tell, they are going for an extremely dumbed down interface for Teh Casuals.  Basically for the folks who want to know surface level info about a movie or time period and that's it.  

Beyond that, again as I look, most of the 'next level' info is still catering to slightly more interested box office watchers, but still on the casual end.  When looked at "how can we deliver content to casually interested folks in as easy way as possible" I almost can make sense of the design.

But, yes, when it comes to any sort of power using (and I am using the loosest sense of the term power user here) it really is exceedingly annoying and counter-intuitive.

The showdowns currently are pretty awful. You can either look at how much a movie made on a given day, or what the total gross was for the movie, but not both. And no weekends and weekly totals are included in the showdowns anymore. They made something that was very simple into "WTF is this nonsense"

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdown/sd456914436/

• Like 2

I can't tell what if anything boxoffice related is behind the paywall.

Also, I wish I could click say, Force Awakens, and see the related Showdowns, boxoffice records, etc.. One place, no need to go to multiple pages. 

If I go to Force Awakens and then All-Time rankings....I'm getting nothing.

Edited by lilmac