Blankments

PSA: Box Office Mojo Redesign ... Numbers Saves The Day With Theater Counts

tbh, I am starting to like the new design, data is still an issue but I never really used the feature you guys are talking about so well ok.

besides, if I was IMDb, perhaps I will do same too, giving all my websites similar look and data was free for too long which isn't supposed to be free.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

19 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Man, what's even going to happen to the future of Charting With Dan. I enjoy that show, but now that everything from BOM's old site is gone and has been placed into a paywall, it makes me wonder how it'll continue as the weeks go by.

He would always mention that BOM was one of his sources, obviously a main one. Even for those with IMDbPro access, BOM is a diminished resource. 

• Astonished 1

BoxOfficeMojo was free, whom they asked? IMDbPro users? So it's not about attracting new users, who are willing to pay for data access? No different subscription plans: 1) usual IMDB Pro features + BO data, 2) only usual IMDb Pro features, 3) only BO data.

There's no reasonable business logic besides to minimize resources for integration BOM database into IMDb system. Some breakdowns and other information unavailable (that's just web representation of DB queries)? That's clearly IMDb Pro users feedback, they don't want this to exist! I guess it's really hard and very expensive to maintain hyperlinks with db query results. Especially if you not considering to monetize from those who used to visit BOM on daily basis for niche BO data.

Just typical press-release bullshit.

Edited by Stas
  • Like 1

I understand part of the reason for this was mobile optimization, but i attempted to access this from the phone and the website was still completely lost in it. Would have helped if they still retained the same color scheme.

It's nice that they have more INT data available. Like now you can see a chart for the highest grossing 4th weekends in China...

still the layout is an eyesore

i don't like it, especially for the fact that some previously available data is now behind a paywall

BOM is now in an irreversible freefall and it's clear they won't be able to recover from it. It's on suicide watch and will undoubtedly implode very soon. The destruction of the BOM forums showed just how horrible customer management was. At the very least they could have warned us ahead of time to save the files from the archives but no...the Potter threads, Avatar, LotR, Pirates, Matrix, Twilight, Star Wars...they all disappeared and that really is a loss from a box office perspective.

But now this? BOM can go fuck themselves. Someone should make a new BO website with their information or just buy them out. At the very least, they could have asked for donations if things were hurting financially. Basically almost everyone here would have donated if it meant saving all the files and records. 

Fuck them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know it looks like the end of the world, but we'll be fine. We'll survive without BOM. I mean, we've lost precious paintings in the burning of museums. We've lost historic monuments. We've lost Ben Affleck as Batman. Things we'll be fine, it's gonna hurt but we'll learn how to live without it. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Noctis said:

BOM is now in an irreversible freefall and it's clear they won't be able to recover from it. It's on suicide watch and will undoubtedly implode very soon. The destruction of the BOM forums showed just how horrible customer management was. At the very least they could have warned us ahead of time to save the files from the archives but no...the Potter threads, Avatar, LotR, Pirates, Matrix, Twilight, Star Wars...they all disappeared and that really is a loss from a box office perspective.

But now this? BOM can go fuck themselves. Someone should make a new BO website with their information or just buy them out. At the very least, they could have asked for donations if things were hurting financially. Basically almost everyone here would have donated if it meant saving all the files and records. 

Fuck them. 

Agreed. Someone needs to be the new BOM.

Also, I can't find the YTD comparison chart. I'm guessing it's gone. Oh well. Sad times.

When the battle for ressources and energy start in the 21  century, the world will go insane.

You only know the value of things when it is not there anymore.

And I am not talking about box office information, I am talking food, medicine, energy to move around, Internet infrastructure , feminism ( a by-pdodcut of the electricty grid), Smartphones etc etc etc

People never take the time to ponder about how easily we live, how we have access to EVERYTHING without much of an effort.

Make of list of things that werent there 

10 years ago, 

20, 30, 50, 80, 100, 130, 150, 200, etc

and especially

220 years ago when the first coal machines appeared and everyting changed overnight for Humanity.

Then, Oil, The Black Gold, then Electricity appeared, the two major turning points in the History of Mankind.

That realization is gonna be the most brutal awakening humanity has ever lived.

Imagine the world without or even, not enough oil (coal, natural gas) & electricity.

We will have to live with way less in the future and it is gonna be ugly.

Edited by The Futurist