Blankments

PSA: Box Office Mojo Redesign ... Numbers Saves The Day With Theater Counts

The Numbers has been my #2 site for box office info for many, many years so I'm happy to see they're picking up some of the slack from BOM (who knows, maybe they'll make even more adjustments). Really does feel like the true end of an era with what IMDB/Amazon has done with it.

• Like 2

Alright, let's be sane for a moment now.

What purpose does Mojo served, I will speak for myself,

1. Dailies: we have The Numbers or Mojo itself & fwiw we get numbers way early than anywhere else on Internet.

2. International numbers: I will argue, now international column is better than previous, much better.

3. Inflation adjustment: frankly speaking Mojo method wasn't my cup of tea but still many used it, but again not something that was exclusive to Mojo, they use MPAA & NATO ATP to estimate, and we can easily do that by own with simple divide & multiplication. That's something of left hand work.

4. Database: again numbers has it.

I don't think there was anything that was exclusive to Mojo. In fact ever since I joined forum, I have rarely visited Mojo. I know some of you have strong connection with it, but let go. Sites are supposed to die someday. Mojo did.

MeatyEnchantingAlligator-size_restricted

No surprise, Americans hated TLJ.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Alright, let's be sane for a moment now.

What purpose does Mojo served, I will speak for myself,

1. Dailies: we have The Numbers or Mojo itself & fwiw we get numbers way early than anywhere else on Internet.

2. International numbers: I will argue, now international column is better than previous, much better.

3. Inflation adjustment: frankly speaking Mojo method wasn't my cup of tea but still many used it, but again not something that was exclusive to Mojo, they use MPAA & NATO ATP to estimate, and we can easily do that by own with simple divide & multiplication. That's something of left hand work.

4. Database: again numbers has it.

I don't think there was anything that was exclusive to Mojo. In fact ever since I joined forum, I have rarely visited Mojo. I know some of you have strong connection with it, but let go. Sites are supposed to die someday. Mojo did.

MeatyEnchantingAlligator-size_restricted

No surprise, Americans hated TLJ.

*and Canadians*

Kidding, not the point of my reply. Sure, most of the data from mojo is accessible elsewhere, albeit not as accessibly as before. The thing with mojo is that, despite its warts, it let you just kinda have fun with comparing box office numbers. Because the data were all there, and you could practically manipulate it however you want, you could really do a deep-dive on box office data without much real effort, allowing you to focus on the numbers themselves rather than having to calculate said values yourself from the limited data other sites provide. 

It just facilitated the notion of "studying box office" as a hobby, a pastime where you could just switch part of your brain off and enjoy analyzing numbers if that's your sort of thing. And I think that's how a lot of people on these Forums engaged with the numbers, to some degree or another. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I drafted a quick email which I sent to mail@boxofficemojo.com.

I'm not naive, and yes, my life goes on. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't important. But I have made a hobby out of following box office for about 20 years (and discussing it for most of those years as well). I am someone who makes a habit of writing my elected representatives and various organizations to have my voice heard in this world, so I simply felt compelled to share my perspective with BOM.  If you feel compelled to do so, you're welcome to use my email as a template and revise as needed.

Dear Box Office Mojo,

I am writing to add my voice to many other consumers of your site and ask that you please revert the website to the previous design and functionality.

As a frequent and longstanding consumer of box office information, Box Office Mojo has been my go-to site for detailed box office information - including daily and weekend box office, numerous comprehensive box office records, breakdowns by year/month/day, inflation-adjusted figures, weekly theatre counts, and much more.

The previous site contained highly accessible, logically organized information. The calendar format made viewing daily box office figures intuitive.

I would be happy to purchase a paid subscription / IMDbPro in order to access any or all of the box office information that was provided by the previous version of the site. 

As it stands, I will not purchase a subscription for the site and find it difficult to use. The unintuitive redesign, the loss of functionality, and the loss of key basic information, means that the utility and accessibility of the site is severely diminished.

I welcome the rebranding and the requirement for a paid subscription through IMDbPro - but kindly ask that you revert the site to the far superior previous design and functionality.

Sincerely,

Michael

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

No WW pages ?

No WW totals per year ?

Damn.

all the categories ( actors, studios, genre, franchises etc) gone.

Damn.

Adjusted pages gone ?

Damn.

Talk about Tabula Rasa.

WW All time (top 200) and a couple of lists with biggest movies not reaching certain spots.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/charts/overall/?area=XWW

But yes, DAMN

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Numbers has been my #2 site for box office info for many, many years so I'm happy to see they're picking up some of the slack from BOM (who knows, maybe they'll make even more adjustments). Really does feel like the true end of an era with what IMDB/Amazon has done with it.

I’ve always found the Numbers website so ugly. They could actually benefit from a facelift 

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

So I'm writing a letter to Bezos then

Dear Mr. Bezos,

Why you gotta do me like that?  Please bring back OG Box Office Mojo or I’m never using an Amazon website again!  That’ll put a dent in your profit!

Sincerely,

An Angry Panda

PS: Your face is shaped like a penis

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Guys, what makes you think it’s Mojo’s choice?

Dear Amazon,

Capitalism doesnt work. Give your money to the hardworking people. The simple people. Like me.

Please,

I need that money.

• Like 4