Blankments

PSA: Box Office Mojo Redesign ... Numbers Saves The Day With Theater Counts

The Q&A for BOM on IMDB is just...I don't know what to say.

Q: Is the old site still available?

A: No, the old Box Office Mojo site has been replaced with the new, updated Box Office Mojo by IMDbPro site.

I mean, this is just snarky sounding as hell. They should've at least announced or let people know that the site was changing instead of quietly doing it in an unannounced matter. If only we had the IMDB forums for that, but NOPE.

Pisses me off that so many of the little miscellaneous records are gone. I particularly liked the #1 weekend market share (ie. Avengers: Endgame's opening was 89% or whatever of the total box office that weekend).

• Like 3

At this point, we're going to have to look to The Numbers, the forums (World Of KJ or BOT), and Twitter Box office stuff, and that's mainly it.

Personally, I think they should've stated an announcement on the new design and plan to launch it in 2020. It would be better that way instead of, you know, launching it at the last minute and near the end of 2019.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Pisses me off that so many of the little miscellaneous records are gone. I particularly liked the #1 weekend market share (ie. Avengers: Endgame's opening was 89% or whatever of the total box office that weekend).

Agreed. Plus, the Weekend records are all wrong too.

• Like 2

The-Numbers is very limited.

For example, you can't look at weekly foreign grosses for movies.

The all time lists for inflated only go back to 1977.

You can't look up top grossing movies in a range of years (for example, through 1999). Thus you can't see how a movie placed on an all time list when it was released.

And it is VERY wonky, awkward and pretty much hard to use and follow.

The best thing is for it to lose millions of hits and not making any money off of greedy paid subscriptions (the word "pro" signifies that this hobby should now only be for professionals).

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

The Q&A for BOM on IMDB is just...I don't know what to say.

I mean, this is just snarky sounding as hell. They should've at least announced or let people know that the site was changing instead of quietly doing it in an unannounced matter. If only we had the IMDB forums for that, but NOPE.

They didn't let people know the Box Office Mojo forums were closing. This forum is a direct descendant from that overnight closure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1