sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

I hope The Current War surprises this weekend. It'd be great if a new distributor (101 Studios) is able to make their mark in the industry this weekend. The Current War is one of the most important releases of the year based on how the director was able to shake off the Weinstein influence and make his own cut. I might be seeing it this weekend.

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Among the weekend's new wide releases, Screen Gems's R-rated action/thriller Black and Blue led the charge in terms of previews, taking in $675,000 from Thursday evening previews beginning at 7PM in 1,962 locations. We are projecting $6M for the weekend. Compared to some of our pre-weekend comps, this is ahead of both the $410k Sleepless took in and the $335k for Triple 9.

As for STXfilms's horror thriller Countdown, it took in $515k last night from ~2,150 theaters. This is actually ahead of The Bye Bye Man's $400k in previews, though with previews this low it's tough to glean much information when it comes to horror films.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed3866100740/?ref_=bo_hm_hp

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

I hope The Current War surprises this weekend. It'd be great if a new distributor (101 Studios) is able to make their mark in the industry this weekend. The Current War is one of the most important releases of the year based on how the director was able to shake off the Weinstein influence and make his own cut. I might be seeing it this weekend.

It won't. It's being released with virtually no fanfare (and is being placed in the smallest auditoriums of seemingly every theater). Too bad for the filmmakers who rescued it from languishing on the shelf forever (I'm guessing the cut that was seen at TIFF that year is now a lost movie like the Kevin Spacey version of All the Money in the World), but its fate was sealed two years ago.

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

That’s does not sound good, or is it?

The budget was small so it'll turn a profit but it's clearly playing to mostly empty theaters this weekend, unsurprisingly. Even being the only true horror movie released around Halloween isn't enough when the movie in question looks so stupid.

35 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Looking around my metro theaters, I also don't see a surprise...which is too bad b/c my 3 nephews are going this weekend.  They thought the trailer looked wonderful (when their mom brought them to Downton Abbey, which apparently this attached to in their area:)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It won't. It's being released with virtually no fanfare (and is being placed in the smallest auditoriums of seemingly every theater). Too bad for the filmmakers who rescued it from languishing on the shelf forever (I'm guessing the cut that was seen at TIFF that year is now a lost movie like the Kevin Spacey version of All the Money in the World), but its fate was sealed two years ago.

Why did they make a different cut of the movie?

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

‘Black And Blue’ Takes $675K, ‘Countdown’ Clocks $515K In Previews, ‘Joker’ To Rule Sleepy Pre-Halloween B.O. With $19M+

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-maleficent-2-black-and-blue-countdown-halloween-box-office-weekend-1202769043/

I hope they're proven right, but... that is quite optimistic.

Not impossible, mind you, but it needs Fri in particular to buck its past trend.

+135% - 5.64

+45% - 8.18

-33% - 5.48

19.3, within Deadline's range. But that's high for Fri considering what it's done so far. And if the Fri increase IS higher, perhaps the Sat one will be on the lower end, similar to its second weekend?

Let's see the Fri increase.

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why did they make a different cut of the movie?

Harvey Scissorhands ruined the director's original vision, then Papa Scorsese saved the day. Very interesting read right here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-last-harvey-weinstein-movie-the-current-war-2019-10

• Thanks 1