sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

38 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

1B isn't a magical threshold, and it's not really the exclusive mark of uber-success that it used to be either. 

The last time you said this was about Aquaman so I am seeing the trend here...     I think maybe you should move on.  Joker not only made one billion (or close wherever it finishes) but it did so on a $55M budget. 

Read the article on Deadline. When its all said and done Joker will have turned as big of a profit as Avengers Infinity War.  That is far more impressive than Matrix Reloaded and all this other stuff you are throwing out there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

It's true that breaking 1 billion has lost some appeal lately, specially this year with so many films passing the threshold. But Joker would actually have a qualifier that would make it historical, as the first R-rated film to break a billion. If it happens, many R-rated films may accomplish the same thing in the future, or even beat its highest grossing record, but Joker would always have the record for the first.

Edited by TheUndertaker
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

We're pretty far off topic on this nonsense at this point, and this is Not The Franchise War Thread.gif   

If somebody really wants to continue with this, @ me over there.

It's not 'nonsense' if you can discuss this rationally.  Joker is a way bigger story than Matrix Reloaded and everything else you said. I didn't know the Matrix series was part of the "franchise war" thread,  we are discussing numbers and profitability is part of that.  

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

It's true that breaking 1 billion has lost some appeal lately, specially this year with so many films passing the threshold. But Joker would actually have a qualifier that would make it historical, as the first R-rated film to break a billion. If it happens, many R-rated films may accomplish the same thing in the future, or even beat its highest grossing record, but Joker would always have the record for the first.

Not just that but it's disingenuous to speak on 1 billion dollar gross films and not speak to the fact that China was not involved in this. 

How many billion dollar movies are there without a China release or a significant portion of the gross coming from China? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It would feel odd if the biggest box office story of the year wasn't about a new film becoming the biggest film of all time. The fact that the Joker is even in the conversation speaks volumes about its performance.

Because biggest box office story of the year is a subjective term. Plus the recency effect: obviously people in Oct-Dec are gonna say Joker cause it's fresh in their minds. Not saying those people are wrong, but any reason why all (most) the Oscar films are released so close to the end of the near?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JESUS IS KING<br>$862K Weekend (Est.)<br>372 Screens / $2,317 Avg.<br>Weekend 1 / New<br>$862K Total (North America)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JesusIsKing?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#JesusIsKing</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KanyeWest?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#KanyeWest</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoxOffice?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BoxOffice</a></p>&mdash; Boxoffice Pro (@BoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1188511330283773952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To me this was the most interesting film coming out this week that no one was talking about. Yeah it was limited release but to me it was gonna be interesting to see if one or both the  Gospel crowd and the remaining Kanye West fans would show up for this or not. 

28 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's not 'nonsense' if you can discuss this rationally.  Joker is a way bigger story than Matrix Reloaded and everything else you said. I didn't know the Matrix series was part of the "franchise war" thread,  we are discussing numbers and profitability is part of that.  

You seem pretty clueless about how huge Matrix Reloaded was, to put it mildly. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

You seem pretty clueless about how huge Matrix Reloaded was, to put it mildly. 

Its an age thing. Similar to how most of the early adult crowd has no clue just how big some of the older films in the 80s and early 90s actually were. 

Matrix may not have been in my wheelhouse back then, but it was everywhere in a way that most big films today cant replicate. Shame it was meh. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Its an age thing. Similar to how most of the early adult crowd has no clue just how big some of the older films in the 80s and early 90s actually were. 

Matrix may not have been in my wheelhouse back then, but it was everywhere in a way that most big films today cant replicate. Shame it was meh. 

I'm young 😛

I was 7 when Reloaded came out and can't really remember it at all... but I can use the wayback machine to see that it became the 13th highest grossing movie of all time. Then I can look at the current 13th place and go "holy shit." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

I'm young 😛

I was 7 when Reloaded came out and can't really remember it at all... but I can use the wayback machine to see that it became the 13th highest grossing movie of all time. Then I can look at the current 13th place and go "holy shit." 

Yup.... its crazy when you realize it could have had a 100m OW.... just a massive film then and now still. 

I was around for Matrix Reloaded.  It was a big story.  Joker is doing one billion without China and is headed towards awards season. Joker is still ongoing but between what it's already accomplished and what the future holds,  I believe it's bigger than Matrix Reloaded. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

You can't really adjust WW, but as far as R rated worldwide goes, Joker's performance isn't as strong as Matrix Reloaded from just 15 or so years ago.

5 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

1B isn't a magical threshold, and it's not really the exclusive mark of uber-success that it used to be either. 

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

k

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Not just that but it's disingenuous to speak on 1 billion dollar gross films and not speak to the fact that China was not involved in this. 

How many billion dollar movies are there without a China release or a significant portion of the gross coming from China? 

Joker is a far more impressive story than Endgame. Avatar’s record was going to fall one way or the other, as there were movies coming close already (IW, SW7). 
And doing 1B without China is equally impressive, as Endgame wouldn’t even come close to Avatar without its huge overperformance in China.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1