sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

The 10-Figure Club

Sony reached $1B on Sunday, with a total now just over that mark at $1.001B. They become the fourth studio of the year to reach the billion-dollar mark. Disney reached it on Sunday, April 28; Universal reached it on Friday, August 16, and Warner Bros. on Sunday, September 8.

• Like 1

So Maleficent pulls ahead after all. Unless there's something I'm missing, I believe that's the first estimate/actuals #1 flip/flop since the photo-finish between Kingsman 2's second weekend and It's fourth in September 2017 (where American Made was also hot on those films' tails).

Mal 2 will drop around 80% while Joker around mid 60's at AMC. Despite losing weekend Joker will be the weekly winner. Anyway I think this is a good hold for both the movies. Mal 2 should hit 3x legs. Wont be enough to make up for disappointing OW still its having decent run after OW.

Nothing new to say about Joker beyond what we have said earlier. I am sure its gonna have a great hold this weekend as well despite dark fate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think some people like to factor in how different a landscape for a rated R film is.  Most big moneymakers these days are movies that touch on the 13 and under crowd. Kids.  No,  I'm not saying anything that we don't already know but there are zero kids at Joker. 

When you remove children you are removing the key demo from the equation.  Joker's run even in NA can only be described as outstanding. 

Well we have kids here watching Joker so

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

its a R rated movie. How can kids watch it unless they sneak in? Its BO is dominated by Adults.

Usually theater if they do not let kid in will let accompanied by an adult kids in. The rare NC-17 is when they cannot get in with their parents.

Just now, Barnack said:

Usually theater if they do not let kid in will let accompanied by an adult kids in. The rare NC-17 is when they cannot get in with their parents.

how many parents will bring their 12 years or below kids to a movie like joker. It could happen but would be a negligible part of overall BO.

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

how many parents will bring their 12 years or below kids to a movie like joker. It could happen but would be a negligible part of overall BO.

In my screening there was a good proportion, but were i am from it is rated only 13+ and there is not really that concept of movies being dangerous to kids as a degree comparable to the anglo-saxon (a bit more like france were it is rated only 12).

According to deadline second weekend looked like this, quadrant wise.

All the factors–comic book movie, great reviews and solid exits–are putting this film higher. We’re hearing that different generations are connecting with this movie for various movies. It was never meant to be a four-quad movie, but it’s pretty much turning into one, with second weekend PostTrak demos seeing men over 25 at 37%, men under 25 at 25%,  women over 25 at 25% and females under 25 at 12%.

On opening night the under 17 were 8% of the audience according to posttrack.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

its a R rated movie. How can kids watch it unless they sneak in? Its BO is dominated by Adults.

They allow it and tbh it's not rated Adult so any one can watch pretty much. 

26 minutes ago, Nero said:

They allow it and tbh it's not rated Adult so any one can watch pretty much. 

US codes are voluntary anyway.

Most R rated movies are equivalent to 15 in the UK.

US has NC-17 but not movies attain this classification, I guess they get edited down to R for US release and unedited they become 18 movies in the UK.

https://www.screendaily.com/features/what-are-the-most-successful-18-rated-films-in-the-uk/5115105.article

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

In America? Tens of thousands. We are the king of bad parenting.

I saw Terminator 2 in 1992/93 I can't remember which. I was 7 or 8

Edited by cdsacken