sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

15 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Divisive Last Jedi opened to 220M so why would the Rise of Skywalker open less? (they have it at 200M). I don't see it happening especially thats it the trilogy ending film.

People didn't know TLJ was divisive on OW...

TLJ's OW was a function largely of TFA's good reception and cliffhanger. It would make a lot of sense for TROS to open even lower.

21 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Arguably the surprise run of the year. 

edit: of the summer (Joker... although albeit more people were calling for the doom and gloom of Aladdin moreso than Joker. And I doubt Joker will catch Aladdin domestically or worldwide)

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Domestically, Europe, WW Joker has got to take most surprising. In Asia definitely Aladdin though.

I mean, there were people predicting near 100M domestic total for Aladdin. I'm not mitigating how well Joker has done and how shocking its (especially international) total has been, but we can't forget just how pessimistic we all were concerning Aladdin's BO prospects right up until OW pretty much. 

IMO, Joker will make it to the Billie.By Thursday is at 785.5 considering a 16.5M weekend DOM (imo it makes more) It will be at  802M.It just had a 78M weekend internationally so i can't see Joker , baring in mind the holds it has on weekdays, it should pass 850M ( I still think it will be closer to 860M.Rest of the domestic run should get it close at 900M...It needs 100M from the rest of the world.

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean, there were people predicting near 100M domestic total for Aladdin. I'm not mitigating how well Joker has done and how shocking its (especially international) total has been, but we can't forget just how pessimistic we all were concerning Aladdin's BO prospects right up until OW pretty much. 

There's a detail here: is it about people predicting BO at the forum or other BO forums and the like (like reddit), or in general/industry experts? Because there were no experts predicting 100M domestic total for Aladdin I think, tracking was ok, and there always was a real possibility for a billion if it broke out. Meanwhile nobody who wasn't kidding predicted Joker would get close to a billion.

• Like 1

Less drunken Joker number from Deadline midday: https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-maleficent-2-black-and-blue-countdown-halloween-box-office-weekend-1202769043/  

midday estimates have it pegged for $17.7M, -39%, for a running total of $276.3M.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is second with an estimated $15.9M, -57% for a 10-day of $62.8M.

Sony’s Zombieland: Double Tap is seeing $12.2M, -54% in weekend 2, for 10-day of $47.6M.

MGM/UAR’s The Addams Family still strong in weekend 3 with $10M in 4th place, -39%, for a running total of $71M.

Sony/Screen Gems Black and Blue is seeing $8.3M in 5th

Outside the top five, STX’s Countdown is making roughly what it cost: $6.4M for the weekend after $2.4M Friday including last night’s $515K previews.

101 Studios’ Current War: Director’s Cut is seeing 1M today, for a $2.9M opening.

I still think Mal will win the weekend with 18+

BTW that would be PTAs of:
Mal 4195
ZL2 3518
CD 2393
B&B 4025

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

https://www.insider.com/photos-abandoned-us-movie-theaters-2019-10

Haunting photos of America's abandoned movie palaces reveal how streaming has killed the glamour of going to the movies

The overwhelming majority of movie palaces were killed by the multiplexes in the 1970s and 80s.

The article points this out.  The headline as is too often now is wrong - probably for click bait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The overwhelming majority of movie palaces were killed by the multiplexes in the 1970s and 80s.

The article points this out.  The headline as is too often now is wrong - probably for click bait.

If consider TV has being streaming it would make more senses, I imagine the hit started in the 50s/60s with them surviving barely to close like you said in the 70s/80s.

I would also imagine their construction pretty much stopped after the 1929 crash from that ridiculous housing/building bubble, googling them listed in that article that all seem 1928 or before.