Xillix

Well Actually... Y6 ACTUALS

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You think Mario can reach $350M?

Thinking it’ll cap at $340m, closer to 330.

A fantastic result that bodes well for future films and Nintendo adaptations nonetheless.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cookie said:

Even looking aside the Mario drop those are some steep drops for an otherwise quiet weekend.

People don't just go to the movies even if there's nothing they want to see playing. Low 40s and high 30s drops for movies that don't have direct competition is perfectly reasonable. Pandas' drop is inflated because its previous weekend was inflated for Earth Day.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2019W34/?ref_=bo_we_nav

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2018W16/?ref_=bo_we_nav
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2017W14/?ref_=bo_we_nav

I know everyone wants stuff to do well and people are trying to offer constructive criticism sometimes but like. If people were half as nitpicky about unrealistic over-performances as they were about weekend drops they think are a bit off then this game would have about one-fifth of the blockbusters it actually has :P

Edited by Xillix

Okay, I'm going to be 100% honest, without any ulterior motives. I just want to be upfront now and real with how I'm feeling before I become passive aggressive about it.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Spark's numbers.

I know it set an OW record in CAYOM and topped every weekend in March. Most films would have killed for something like that. That being said....I think it was unanimously expected to happen. It's not like I'm disappointed it didn't live up to Reddroast's Endgame esque predict. The Opening weekend was awesome for this.

Speaking of Endgame...the main reason I'm underwhelmed is the legs. The comp was obvious, but on top of opening 100m higher, it had higher profile competition, more films taking away screens, and had many more years of hype and spoiler evasion to build up to it. Hell, this actually had WORSE legs than Endgame looking at April onward. Mario is a legit threat and Thermal did take IMAX, but even Aladdin didnt kill the Avengers too much in its fifth weekend.

This multiplier is closer to Breaking Dawn or The Deathly Hallows, but those even had better legs once you get past the second weekend, not to mention summer/holiday boosts. This isn't exactly the teeny bopper saga along those lines, and even those didnt drop less than 50% before its sixth weekend. There isn't a single mega blockbuster with legs this bad, except maybe Batman v. Superman, which on top of its HUGE rush factor and fanboy hype, had wildly divisive WOM. 

I know that being disappointed about getting only the third highest grossing movie in CAYOM is silly, but I think that this had plenty of reasons to pass Rise of Lotor. Hell, nearly everyone in this community expected it to! I got my hopes up, and its reasomable to feel slightly disappointed that it won't happen. No offense to Cookie.

Again, it's just a game, and I mean no disrespect or grief to @Xillix. He has been very transparent about how he is handling actuals this year. That said, I am equally entitled to my opinion and I wanted this chance to express it.

I have no interest in throwing a fit or demanding that these numbers be changed, nor do I have the justification to do so. It's not like it couldn't even outopen Homeward. But at the same time, given everything that this film had going for it, it was well within reason for me to hope for just a little bit more than what we got.

P.S. this ain't about the JJCU. Let that saga fucking burn.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 4

Spoiler

Spoiler

Had I done Sp4rk actuals, I'd have used IW legs as opposed to Endgame (IW has been the comparison for my total estimation) from a similar OW range ($250-$270m). Maybe slightly less to account for the extra runtime.

Not that I'm disputing the current number or anything, I just thought Pasta might be interested to hear my take.

Edited by cookie

2 minutes ago, cookie said:
Spoiler

Hide contents

Had I done Sp4rk actuals, I'd have used IW legs as opposed to Endgame (IW has been my comparison for my math so far) from a similar OW range ($250-$270m)

Not that I'm disputing the current number or anything, I just thought Pasta might be interested to hear my take.

So basically it would do IW legs...from an IW opening.

:P

Tbh from what I've seen it looked that that was the consensus generally in terms of predictions.

Edited by Spaghetti

1 hour ago, Spaghetti said:

Again, it's just a game, and I mean no disrespect or grief to @Xillix. He has been very transparent about how he is handling actuals this year. That said, I am equally entitled to my opinion and I wanted this chance to express it.

I have no interest in throwing a fit or demanding that these numbers be changed, nor do I have the justification to do so. It's not like it couldn't even outopen Homeward. But at the same time, given everything that this film had going for it, it was well within reason for me to hope for just a little bit more than what we got.

You're fine. When you get into movies that open this high, well... there have literally been two, three if you count The Force Awakens which isn't useful as a comparison because it was a holiday opener and those leg out totally differently. So I'll admit I hewed pretty closely to Endgame and that might not have been accurate, but I felt like Infinity War wouldn't have been accurate either because there's no big second part looming a year from now to encourage going to see Sp4rk over and over again the way so many people did with that.

I'll also admit I didn't consciously realize it worked out to slide steeper than Endgame, and that wasn't actually my intention. So, if people are behind it, I'm actually open to reworking legs on this one to an extent. But don't expect it to be a regular occurrence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Xillix said:

You're fine. When you get into movies that open this high, well... there have literally been two, three if you count The Force Awakens which isn't useful as a comparison because it was a holiday opener and those leg out totally differently. So I'll admit I hewed pretty closely to Endgame and that might not have been accurate, but I felt like Infinity War wouldn't have been accurate either because there's no big second part looming a year from now to encourage going to see Sp4rk over and over again the way so many people did with that.

I'll also admit I didn't consciously realize it worked out to slide steeper than Endgame, and that wasn't actually my intention. So, if people are behind it, I'm actually open to reworking legs on this one to an extent. But don't expect it to be a regular occurrence.

I’m okay with a slight revision on legs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I want to assure you that if you do this, I won't ask for this any time again. 

I really appreciate you hearing me out and would be incredibly grateful if you're open to reconsidering the legs.

• Like 1

I mean I assumed above RoL was a done deal anyway so I don't really care what happens. But I agree with Xillix that it shouldn't be a regular occurrence, just so more people don’t start bargaining in the future.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cookie said:

I mean I assumed above RoL was a done deal anyway so I don't really care what happens. But I agree with Xillix that it shouldn't be a regular occurrence, just so more people don’t start bargaining.

please let all my movies bomb so Rapsittie can make $300M