Parasite (2019)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Have you ever gone to see a great film by yourself? And after you've seen the film, have you gone back home to hear nothing but a quiet whir, the film's imagery still enduring in your mind? I hear that same quiet whir. I feel that same stillness.

With Parasite, Bong Joon-Ho has made a significant work. This is a work of art with iconic set-pieces and well-rounded characters. Classic cinema with a distinct message to share--in others words, a film that manages to say something.

Do not miss out on this one.

• Like 4

This is the korean-version of Us, only the film is better and way less pretentious.  

The movie is super well-paced and hugely unexpected, the plot twist serve very well and they do not feel the surprise are there to serve the theme and plot, instead of being arrogantly showing off like MI:Fallout and TLJ, both of that film feature some of the most mindless plot twist which Parasite successfully avoided.

Most of my problem with the film happened in last 10min. The overuse of odour as the symbol of class conflict. Also, it is not quite convincing that the father will be the murderer but not the son. The son started it all and he is one that received large rock. Emotionally he supposed to carry much more emotional weight that can lead him to killing. Not the father. 

Overall a very engaging cinematic experience that grab your attention throughout the film,

The film suggests that rich-poor relationship is parasitic in the society. Some may disagree including me but that conclusion was greatly delivered within the film context. 

9/10   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This is the korean-version of Us, only the film is better and way less pretentious.  

The movie is super well-paced and hugely unexpected, the plot twist serve very well and they do not feel the surprise are there to serve the theme and plot, instead of being arrogantly showing off like MI:Fallout and TLJ, both of that film feature some of the most mindless plot twist which Parasite successfully avoided.

Most of my problem with the film happened in last 10min. The overuse of odour as the symbol of class conflict. Also, it is not quite convincing that the father will be the murderer but not the son. The son started it all and he is one that received large rock. Emotionally he supposed to carry much more emotional weight that can lead him to killing. Not the father. 

Overall a very engaging cinematic experience that grab your attention throughout the film,

The film suggests that rich-poor relationship is parasitic in the society. Some may disagree including me but that conclusion was greatly delivered within the film context. 

9/10   

the son barely interacted with Mr. Park iirc (and he was on his way to kill the dude in the basement). he also never had any issue with Mr. Park's disdain to the smell of the poor class. which was so bad that even when people were literally dying Mr. Park was still being grossed out by it more than anything. 

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

the son barely interacted with Mr. Park iirc (and he was on his way to kill the dude in the basement). he also never had any issue with Mr. Park's disdain to the smell of the poor class. which was so bad that even when people were literally dying Mr. Park was still being grossed out by it more than anything. 

Plot wise, the son should not be the one but thematically the son, also the lead of the movie, is more likely to kill than the father, just like how he attempt to kill them with the rock.

Also, care so much about the smell in that circumstances is little bit unrealistic and doesn't look very convincing beside the director trying too much to sell the symbolism of smell to drive the plot.   

I went into this knowing not much about it (didn't even see a trailer beforehand) and have to say it completely amazed me. I'm not as well-versed in the movies of Bong Joon-ho as others (Snowpiercer is the only other one I've seen), but this is masterful and is easily the best movie I've seen all year to date. It's a universal tale of the haves and the have-nots that refuses to fit neatly into any single genre, as it starts as a social satire about a lower class family that weasels their way into the lives of an upper class one before becoming something much more twisted once it's revealed what is hiding in the Park family's basement. In a day and age in which movies are becoming increasingly predictable and familiar, here's one where I had no clue where the story was gonna go and was enthralled watching it all unfold as it builds up to the gruesome climax. It's just flawlessly made as well: the filmmaking is on a level in which the story could've been told with just the body language of the actors (all of whom are great) with no dialogue and it would've been just as effective. This isn't to be missed, even if you're averse to movies entirely in subtitles. A

• Like 3

Arriving on a wave of hype since its Palme d’Or win in May, Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite is every bit as mesmerizing as the buzz surrounding it suggests. With a razor-sharp script and excellent contributions from all players involved on both sides of the camera, it sunk its hooks into me within the opening minutes and never let go. Bong aims for many thematic and aesthetic targets over the course of the film, and he hits virtually every one with stunning precision. As a satire on social climbing and the aloofness of the upper class, it’s dead-on and has parallels to the American Dream that American viewers are unlikely to miss; as a dark comedy, it’s often laugh-aloud hilarious in its audacity; as a thriller, it has brilliantly-executed moments of tension and surprises that genuinely caught me off-guard; and as a drama about family dynamics, it has tender moments that stand out all the more because of how they’re juxtaposed with so much cynicism elsewhere in the film. Handling so many different tones is an immensely difficult balancing act, yet Bong handles all of it so skillfully that he makes it feel effortless. Though I often had the sense that something horrible was just seconds away from happening, the film plays its twists and turns close to the vest and I found myself surprised and startled by numerous developments. The acting is superb across the board, particularly from Song Kang-ho as the deceptive family’s patriarch and Cho Yeo-jeong as the naïve mother of the wealthy family. Song is convincing as an embattled opportunist who seems like he’s just one push away from cracking, and Cho’s obliviousness to the Kim family’s grifting and the ways in which her privilege have sealed her off from the real world often make for effective humor. Taken as a whole, Parasite covers so much ground and leaves viewers with so much to unpack that it’s tough not to get swept up in it as it runs and continue to ponder its messages and implications after it ends. It’s an experience unlike any other I’ve had at a movie this year.

A

Stray Thoughts:

- While watching all the Kim family's schemes and cover-ups, I couldn't help but think of them as what the It's Always Sunny gang would look like if they were actually clever and resourceful.

- Much like when I saw The Lighthouse earlier this week, I was glad that there was an audience laughing as much as I was (more, actually) at the film's dark humor. Otherwise, I might have worried that I was a bit of sociopath (or maybe all of us in those audiences were?). :lol:

- That climax was N-U-T-S!

• Like 7

What a movie this is. I'd recommend this to pretty much anybody, even if you're put off by foreign films / subtitles, give this a chance. The story is an absolute rollercoaster, I had no idea where it was going but I was completely 100% along for the ride. I'd consider it a pretty accessible film, the story's just wickedly fun and themes of class and family are pretty much universal to... anyone with a family or socioeconomic status. 

The movie starts as a relatively fun story about a poor, scrappy family doing what they have to do to survive and running a scheme on a pretty dopey but well-meaning and extremely wealthy family in order to get a taste of the good life. This section of the movie, compared to what comes after, is relatively light hearted and a whole lot of fun. There's a bit of a sense of foreboding in every scene in that you're waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the family's secret to be exposed (and also from knowing the director's work and waiting for something fucked up to happen, and of course it does). It's in the film's second half when the family's scheme truly goes tits up that you realize (not to get all Joker) that the film is a tragedy.

There were a few scenes in this section of the film that were just so completely heartbreaking. When the family is together on the rich family's couch, getting to live their fantasy in this big beautiful house, and it's right in their moment of bliss that shit goes south and you realize this is going to be the last time they'll be happy together as a family, and what a happy moment it was. Then when the son is watching all the rich people at the garden party with contempt, and just wanting what they have so desperately that he asks if he fits with there, just wanting affirmation that he belongs with them. Finally that ending, when he's reading his letter to his father, promising to buy that house for them so they can all be together again as a family. God just thinking about it know is kinda breaking my heart all over again. It's rare for a film to be this fun, thrilling and intense and to also make me feel this deeply. I really think this film is something special, there's not a wasted moment, every scene is so well thought out and full of detail, the cast is perfect, there's not a single weak link and every member of the ensemble has multiple moments to shine, the movie looks gorgeous and is packed with beautiful images, has a fantastic score, it's got everything. Hell of a movie. Highly recommend.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

I saw this last night and it is fantastic: thematically rich; superbly crafted, weaving between genres effortlessly; excellent acting that feels grounded and real even as things quickly shift; great comedy and tension; visually interesting. The film just gives and gives. Like others here, highly recommended!

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

A-, 8/10

excellent work, deserved the award imho ... perfectly paced, well shot, good acting, simple setup (it's practically a chamberplay, would also be perfectly adaptable to the stage) and an intelligent plot which never gets convoluted. Also great use of music.

The one thing I didn't like that much was the grade of violence ... now I've seen some korean movies over the last years and they sure like their films bloody, but in this case I thought the murderous resolutions were kind of a cop-out ... dead people don't ask and don't have to answer questions. There could have been a more intelligent resolution, with less bodily and more emotional harm. But that's just me I guess; overall highly enjoyable - big recommendation!

When I went into the theaters to see Parasite last October, the cinematic landscape felt fairly barren.  Blockbusters for the year were mindless barrages of VFX trying to get a rise of your senses, Disney kept releasing the same product and slapping a ‘new’ label on it and there was very little mainstream cinema that felt like it could truly excite.  Needless to say, Parasite restored my excitement in potential for originality and the capability of a filmmaker to push boundaries while also provide something entirely crowdpleasing.

For a Korean film to catch the lightning in a bottle that Parasite did is nothing but spectacular, and that’s because of the striking vision of the man behind it all.  Bong Joon-Ho is one of the great modern voices of the cinematic landscape, and prior to Parasite had never failed to deliver something original and fresh.  Yet with Parasite he really managed to top all of his impressive filmography to come before.

Parasite took a topical issue in class differences specific to South Korea, yet managed to also be something universal for audiences across cultures.  I loved the phrase that called the film “a magic trick”, because it’s exactly that.  It sets the audiences up with specific expectations of what they’re about to watch, and then proceeds to lead them down an unexpected and wild ride.  It manages to evoke empathy for its large cast of characters, both poor and rich alike, and give each of them a dynamic range exploring how the conditions of your economic environment effect the human psyche.  It’s a film that manages to challeng, make you feel and entertain like nothing else I saw this year.

Parasite is masterclass innovative filmmaking that will be studied and enjoyed for years to come.