Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

12 minutes ago, TMP said:

I’m not talking about quality; Mandalorian could very well be a disaster, we don’t know. I just think it’s interesting to see a studio pump so much money into a prestige TV project for the whole family, considering most are TV-MA; which could help it appeal to a large audience

"Prestige" is a bit meaningless, but it is true that sci-fi/fantasy family-friendly TV shows with a nice budget are rare - good for Disney if it is their objective.

To be fair, most network shows are family-friendly, D+ will offer better production values but some have tried something similar in the past:

Edited by MrGlass2

5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Halloween was on thursday

And ppl still celebrated it over the weekend! And yes, most movies benefited from the Halloween effect this weekend. 

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There won't be another Game of Thrones. Said this in the Classic Convo thread recently but a decade ago we got a whole bunch of mystery shows at once as Lost was ending that were hoping to become the next Lost and none of them were successful. The next show that becomes a true pop culture sensation is gonna have to carve out its own identity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There won't be another Game of Thrones. Said this in the Classic Convo thread recently but a decade ago we got a whole bunch of mystery shows at once as Lost was ending that were hoping to become the next Lost and none of them were successful. The next show that becomes a true pop culture sensation is gonna have to carve out its own identity.

Exactly. You can't predict breakout shows. They just happen. The Witcher will probably do ok and last a few seasons but any comparisons to GOT will only hurt it rather than help. Netflix is going to have to try harder than that to keep it's subscribers. 

• Thanks 2

read an article a few months ago about game of thrones being the last ever event tv show which i think is true to some extent. just in the context of streaming shows everyone watches those at their own pace not like game of thrones where everybody watches and tweets about it at the same time and is talking about it on monday morning. this is still true for sports and to an extent reality tv but what dramas are doing that these days?

also w/r/t the witcher i'm sure the first season will be bigger than GOT's first season was but GOT didn't become an actual phenomenon until like the fourth season maybe? it built up a reputation as a great show first, we'll see if the witcher can do the same thing but i have my doubts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

read an article a few months ago about game of thrones being the last ever event tv show which i think is true to some extent. just in the context of streaming shows everyone watches those at their own pace not like game of thrones where everybody watches and tweets about it at the same time and is talking about it on monday morning. this is still true for sports and to an extent reality tv but what dramas are doing that these days?

also w/r/t the witcher i'm sure the first season will be bigger than GOT's first season was but GOT didn't become an actual phenomenon until like the fourth season maybe? it built up a reputation as a great show first, we'll see if the witcher can do the same thing but i have my doubts.

IIRC, Sean Bean’s death was the first time GOT really got into the pop culture conversation since all viewers were so shocked. The Red Wedding is when it went Supernova.

6 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

With around 40M more to come from domestic and 12-15M more to come from Japan, those 2 countries alone might be enough to carry it past 1B with slightly better than expected legs. Aladdin and TS4 might not be safe depending on late legs.

• Thanks 1