Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

This was the first Terminator after T1 to have a conventional FSS ow and it opened under Hustlers and DA. Those 2 films have a combined prod budget of under 40. 

T2 burnt off demand on weekdays (20.5 from Tue-Thu) and still did 32 FSS in 1991.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

IIRC, Sean Bean’s death was the first time GOT really got into the pop culture conversation since all viewers were so shocked. The Red Wedding is when it went Supernova.

I remember the week after the red wedding happened, I dare say it helped, if not straight up kickstart the “reaction” video trend for not only tv shows but movie trailers as well. If you look up, a lot of YouTubers started doing reactions on movies and shows around 2013/2014.

AMC Update

Mal 2 way better than estimates. Drop in low 20's compare to yesterday and low 30'%s compared to last sunday. Joker is dropping like 33% from yesterday 28-29% from last sunday.

FYI these are raw ticket numbers. $ grosses have variables like children/senior tickets, % fo premium tickets etc. Mal 2 lost all Imax/PLF and so its avg ticket price will be lower. Plus its just one chain and so it could over/under index.

But I am sure Mal 2 will go up quite a bit from estimates. Joker may not move much may be a little bit to hit 14m if rest of the weekend do not go down(with actuals fri/sat grosses also change a bit).

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

AMC Update

Mal 2 way better than estimates. Drop in low 20's compare to yesterday and low 30'%s compared to last sunday. Joker is dropping like 33% from yesterday 28-29% from last sunday.

Sunday #s probably

Mal2 - 4-4.6M

Joker - 4M

When Joker gets to 1B, only January and September will be left without 1B grossers. I don't see that changing for a while since January will remain a dumping ground and September will mainly be for smaller budgeted movies to make profits by doing 250-400M WW.

I think Frozen is the only November release to make 1B WW despite November being home to so many big movies over the years. Frozen 2 might be second.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

When Joker gets to 1B, only January and September will be left without 1B grossers. I don't see that changing for a while since January will remain a dumping ground and September will mainly be for smaller budgeted movies to make profits by doing 250-400M WW.

IT did 700m but WB failed to make IT2 attractive enough for an increase. Something big will release in September as well. Its just a matter of time. January is bit tricky as studios like to release blockbusters during the holidays but American Sniper was Yuge domestically. We need a OS friendly product that breaks out like Joker did. I am sure both months will have 1B grossers within next decade.

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

IT did 700m but WB failed to make IT2 attractive enough for an increase. Something big will release in September as well. Its just a matter of time. January is bit tricky as studios like to release blockbusters during the holidays but American Sniper was Yuge domestically. We need a OS friendly product that breaks out like Joker did. I am sure both months will have 1B grossers within next decade.

Technically American Sniper counts as a December release. Actual biggest January movie is Paul Blart Mall Cop with 146M Domestic.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Ah k remember in 2009 when people were shocked that Paul Blart Mall Cop outgrossed a Terminator film

Terminator Salvation had some hype. Initial tracking had it at 120m over 5 days. But the movie had horrible reviews and the buzz died by the time it released. That is what happens when you let a McG direct a movie like that.

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Technically American Sniper counts as a December release. Actual biggest January movie is Paul Blart Mall Cop with 146M Domestic.

Everytime I happen to stumble on that gem of trivia it cracks me up.... 11 years later and we still haven't gotten a bigger genuine January release.