Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

What is the estimated budge of Dark Fate?

I think it's crazy that pretty much every Terminator film from T3 onwards has bombed. I guess T3 broke even, but it's budget was way too big back then. Anyway, I think this is truly game over for the franchise.

Edited by CloneWars

My favourite thing was when someone in the Youtube comments of one of the Dark  Fate trailers quoted the "Men like you speech" Sarah makes in T2 and so many replies underneath were like "Agreed look how SJW this series has become" not knowing the person was quoting T2 in the first place to make a point lol 

• Like 2

with 27-28 ow it could aim for 70 total.

is looking at 40 total in china. possibly less.

110 from these 2 markets combined.

haven't paid much attention to os-china but i don't think it gets to 300 ww.

40*0.25 + 70*0.55 + 165*0.40 = 114.5 theatrical returns on 275 ww

Unless this film has great legs everywhere I can't imagine that another one will be made. I never thought I would say this but I truly think that it is over. They have shown that they are incapable of making one of these movies without spending a crap ton on it. It never makes enough so the series has to end now.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

I blocked several people. The Terminator series was "woke" from the beginning but this new hysteria from man-children on the internet loves to ignore actual themes in older films. 

I am probably one of the people you consider "man-children", which is fine (better than some of the other names going around).  I just wanted to add that most people, when they complain about movies being "woke", aren't complaining about diversity or female empowerment.  They are complaining about the bait and switch that always seems to come with it.

-----------------------------

Examples of "Woke" Bait and switches

Wreck it ralph.  I watched the sequel on a plane ride and I couldn't finish the movie.  They made Ralph, the fun character I wanted to see more of, into the villain of the sequel (because of "Toxic Masculinity"). 

Lego Movie.  On the same plane, I tried watching the lego movie sequel and half way through I realized it is the same thing.  They take the male protagonist of the first film and turn him into the villain of the second.  I don't watch sequels to see characters that I love turned into bad jokes.

Star Wars.  I went to see TLJ in theaters based on the promise of the return of Luke Skywalker.  What I got was Luke throwing away his light saber and drinking green milk (that scene was absolutely disgusting and unnecessary).

Last season of game of thrones. 

Terminator Dark Fate.  Can't say anything here because of spoilers, but it definitely fits the list.

ETC...

I have started to think of all this as DFC (diversity-flavered cr@p).  That  it makes clear that It isn't the diversity that is the problem, it is the stuff that always seems to come with it.

If you want to know why "woke" movies are starting to bomb harder and faster at the box office, this is the reason.  There is only so many times you can pull off a bait-and-switch before people get wise to you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 9

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Unless this film has great legs everywhere I can't imagine that another one will be made. I never thought I would say this but I truly think that it is over.

Salvation was a huge opportunity lost - Bale added credibility, action was well designed (imo inspired by Transformers in part), and a good 6 year gap from T3 - but the movie seemed empty; dour for the sake of it. Genisys was completely unnecessary and DF could have done better if Genisys hadn't sucked up any remaining life out of the franchise.

They need to go off track like how TF did with Bumblebee or Sony did with ITSV to earn trust for this IP again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Still not as dumb as people review bombing the Watchmen show for being... political. Despite being based on source material that's incredibly political

But politics didn't exist in movies, TV shows, and comics before the year of 2017. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But politics didn't exist in movies, TV shows, and comics before the year of 2017. 

Whats funny to me is that the ultimate fanboy series - Star Wars - is also one of the most political film series in blockbuster history. But i hardly see anyone on the Internet complain that Return of the Jedi is anti-USA, despite the Battle of Endor clearly beeing a Vietnam metaphor (and the Ewoks aint the Americans) or Revenge of the Sith literally showcasing the downfall of Republics like the Roman Republic or the Weimar Republic. Or Revenge of the Sith beeing critical of the Iraq War, which was personally stated by George Lucas.

Nobody got a problem with SW beeing political.

Except if your name is The Last Jedi lol.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There can be connections made between milk and politics -

1. Nomadic tribes that survived on dairy (and cattle) primarily organised and governed differently compared to those that were predominantly agricultural. 
  2. story of milk revolution in India
  3. Milk :)

But don't know how milk connects to woke/not-woke debate in TLJ 😕

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Whats funny to me is that the ultimate fanboy series - Star Wars - is also one of the most political film series in blockbuster history. But i hardly see anyone on the Internet complain that Return of the Jedi is anti-USA, despite the Battle of Endor clearly beeing a Vietnam metaphor (and the Ewoks aint the Americans) or Revenge of the Sith literally showcasing the downfall of Republics like the Roman Republic or the Weimar Republic. Or Revenge of the Sith beeing critical of the Iraq War, which was personally stated by George Lucas.

Nobody got a problem with SW beeing political.

Except if your name is The Last Jedi lol.

Funny how something being political only becomes a problem for people when they no longer agree with the politics

• Like 3

2 hours ago, a2k said:

with 27-28 ow it could aim for 70 total.

is looking at 40 total in china. possibly less.

110 from these 2 markets combined.

haven't paid much attention to os-china but i don't think it gets to 300 ww.

40*0.25 + 70*0.55 + 165*0.40 = 114.5 theatrical returns on 275 ww

It seems to be doing poorly everywhere 

I would say about 200m ww

2 hours ago, cedec0 said:

I am probably one of the people you consider "man-children", which is fine (better than some of the other names going around).  I just wanted to add that most people, when they complain about movies being "woke", aren't complaining about diversity or female empowerment.  They are complaining about the bait and switch that always seems to come with it.

Examples of "Woke" Bait and switches

Wreck it ralph.  I watched the sequel on a plane ride and I couldn't finish the movie.  They made Ralph, the fun character I wanted to see more of, into the villain of the sequel (because of "Toxic Masculinity"). 

Lego Movie.  On the same plane, I tried watching the lego movie sequel and half way through I realized it is the same thing.  They take the male protagonist of the first film and turn him into the villain of the second.  I don't watch sequels to see characters that I love turned into bad jokes.

Star Wars.  I went to see TLJ in theaters based on the promise of the return of Luke Skywalker.  What I got was Luke throwing away his light saber and drinking green milk (that scene was absolutely disgusting and unnecessary).

Last season of game of thrones. 

Terminator Dark Fate.  Can't say anything here because of spoilers, but it definitely fits the list.

ETC...

I have started to think of all this as DFC (diversity-flavered cr@p).  That  it makes clear that It isn't the diversity that is the problem, it is the stuff that always seems to come with it.

If you want to know why "woke" movies are starting to bomb harder and faster at the box office, this is the reason.  There is only so many times you can pull off a bait-and-switch before people get wise to you. 

source.gif

• Like 1