Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

3 hours ago, cedec0 said:

I am probably one of the people you consider "man-children", which is fine (better than some of the other names going around).  I just wanted to add that most people, when they complain about movies being "woke", aren't complaining about diversity or female empowerment.  They are complaining about the bait and switch that always seems to come with it.

-----------------------------

Examples of "Woke" Bait and switches

Wreck it ralph.  I watched the sequel on a plane ride and I couldn't finish the movie.  They made Ralph, the fun character I wanted to see more of, into the villain of the sequel (because of "Toxic Masculinity"). 

Lego Movie.  On the same plane, I tried watching the lego movie sequel and half way through I realized it is the same thing.  They take the male protagonist of the first film and turn him into the villain of the second.  I don't watch sequels to see characters that I love turned into bad jokes.

Star Wars.  I went to see TLJ in theaters based on the promise of the return of Luke Skywalker.  What I got was Luke throwing away his light saber and drinking green milk (that scene was absolutely disgusting and unnecessary).

Last season of game of thrones. 

Terminator Dark Fate.  Can't say anything here because of spoilers, but it definitely fits the list.

ETC...

I have started to think of all this as DFC (diversity-flavered cr@p).  That  it makes clear that It isn't the diversity that is the problem, it is the stuff that always seems to come with it.

If you want to know why "woke" movies are starting to bomb harder and faster at the box office, this is the reason.  There is only so many times you can pull off a bait-and-switch before people get wise to you. 

Maybe all of these movies are addressing toxic masculinity for a reason? Yeah, I completely don't understand your grievances so I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree because I don't want to screw up this box office thread. I mean I do think Wreck-It Ralph 2 sucks so I agree that that particular film is not good.

I personally liked Luke Skywalker's arc in The Last Jedi but I don't think that The Last Jedi is a perfect movie and I completely understand why a lot of fans didn't like the arc. That wasn't a bait-and-switch though because Luke Skywalker ended up like all the other Jedi ended up which was bitter and alone. That's where Obi-Wan and Yoda ended up after all. "It's like poetry it rhymes."

• Knock It Off 1

I am probably one of the people you consider "man-children", which is fine (better than some of the other names going around).  I just wanted to add that most people, when they complain about movies being "woke", aren't complaining about diversity or female empowerment.  They are complaining about the bait and switch that always seems to come with it.

Examples of "Woke" Bait and switches

Wreck it ralph.  I watched the sequel on a plane ride and I couldn't finish the movie.  They made Ralph, the fun character I wanted to see more of, into the villain of the sequel (because of "Toxic Masculinity"). 

Lego Movie.  On the same plane, I tried watching the lego movie sequel and half way through I realized it is the same thing.  They take the male protagonist of the first film and turn him into the villain of the second.  I don't watch sequels to see characters that I love turned into bad jokes.

Star Wars.  I went to see TLJ in theaters based on the promise of the return of Luke Skywalker.  What I got was Luke throwing away his light saber and drinking green milk (that scene was absolutely disgusting and unnecessary).

Last season of game of thrones. 

Terminator Dark Fate.  Can't say anything here because of spoilers, but it definitely fits the list.

ETC...

I have started to think of all this as DFC (diversity-flavered cr@p).  That  it makes clear that It isn't the diversity that is the problem, it is the stuff that always seems to come with it.

If you want to know why "woke" movies are starting to bomb harder and faster at the box office, this is the reason.  There is only so many times you can pull off a bait-and-switch before people get wise to you. 

I take it you hate Joker too? Since that touched on toxic masculinity as well

10 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

@IronJimbo and @Deuce66 would like to have a word with you.

Leave me out of this, I have no problem criticizing Cameron when it's warranted. Dark Fate is enjoyable enough however it could've been so much better if they spent more time developing the story and using WETA for the CGI. 

2 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

Harriet gets an A+ cinemascore and 99 user rating on RT. Have a feeling strong legs are in store.

It's my impression that 2019 is now the A+ record holder among all years of Cinemascore operation

2 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

Harriet gets an A+ cinemascore and 99 user rating on RT. Have a feeling strong legs are in store.

that cinemascore for Harriet is surprising, maybe Cynthia Erivo awards chances aren't as dead as they looked after the TIFF premiere. 

Gonna post something positive for Paramount...

I don't think the Top Gun 2 sequel was a good idea to greenlight...but...

There is at least a zeitgeist they can catch - military movies (even recent ones) which hit it can go really high.  Dunkirk, American Sniper, etc - plenty of examples.  But, it's gonna be a "thread the needle" type of balancing act.  Can you take an almost outdated military concept with the rise of UAVs and still make a thrilling action-packed movie?  Looking at the trailer, I'm getting "Star Wars ANH taking out the Death Star" vibes...and those aren't bad vibes:).

And Tom Cruise is a global star.  If he looks good in the military uniform and smiles (and in the trailer, well, he does both), he's good for some world wide cash.  At least probably the value of all of T6's current WW prospects,  I mean, he didn't fail in Top Gun or A Few Good Men:)...

PS - And it also seems like the swan song for Cruise, that we won't get Top Gun 3 for him...so fans know this is a one and done (at least for Cruise), so it's way more likely to draw them in for a try...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Tim Miller Says ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Will ‘Scare the F*ck’ Out of Misogynistic Internet Trolls

Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, and Natalia Reyes are front and center in Paramount's upcoming "Terminator" reboot.

Zack-Sharf.png?resize=96%2C96&ssl=1

Zack Sharf

Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm

@zsharf

•  

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/tim-miller-terminator-dark-fate-scares-internet-trolls-1202156922/

“If you’re at all enlightened, she’ll play like gangbusters. If you’re a closet misogynist, she’ll scare the fuck out of you, because she’s tough and strong but very feminine,” Miller said. “We did not trade certain gender traits for others; she’s just very strong, and that frightens some dudes. You can see online the responses to some of the early shit that’s out there, trolls on the internet. I don’t give a fuck.”

:hahaha::wintf::redcapes::apocalypse::gold::sparta::insane::hahaha:

Oh, my sweet Tim, I don't blame you.

It s not your fault.

How do you know social engineering worked ?

When people are convinced their ideas are their own.

Pavlov would be so proud of these Hollywood type progressists, they have been well trained.

GET WOKE

GO BROKE

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 1

Terminator Dark Fate is a cautionnary tale for Avatar 2.

Dark Fate shows ealry signs of senility and Dementia from Jim Cameron.

Avatar 2 under Spiderman Far From Home Dom & WW ?

Sounded like a joke 8 days ago before I saw Dark Fate, now it is a tangible possibility.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

.  If he looks good in the military uniform and smiles (and in the trailer, well, he does both), he's good for some world wide cash. 

I have not seen the first movie, just clips, but to me it looks like Cruise played it cocky. In the sequel he looks dour

Edited by Alli

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think Top Gun 2 is going to flop. Curise only brings in the big bucks when he is playing Ethan Hunt and i don't see Top Gun 2 doing as well as that godawful Mummy movie overseas.

The original movie was big overseas for the time

even American  Sniper got close to 200m overseas 

• Like 1

I don't see how Emmett's the villain in Lego 2. The movie is more critical of Wyldstyle's own internalized misogyny and the effect it has when she tries to force it on Emmett, leading to the creation of Rex Dangervest. Normal Emmett is only just as dumb and easily misled as he's always been.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Tim Miller Says ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Will ‘Scare the F*ck’ Out of Misogynistic Internet Trolls

Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, and Natalia Reyes are front and center in Paramount's upcoming "Terminator" reboot.

Zack-Sharf.png?resize=96%2C96&ssl=1

Zack Sharf

Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm

@zsharf

•  

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/tim-miller-terminator-dark-fate-scares-internet-trolls-1202156922/

“If you’re at all enlightened, she’ll play like gangbusters. If you’re a closet misogynist, she’ll scare the fuck out of you, because she’s tough and strong but very feminine,” Miller said. “We did not trade certain gender traits for others; she’s just very strong, and that frightens some dudes. You can see online the responses to some of the early shit that’s out there, trolls on the internet. I don’t give a fuck.”

:hahaha::wintf::redcapes::apocalypse::gold::sparta::insane::hahaha:

Oh, my sweet Tim, I don't blame you.

It s not your fault.

How do you know social engineering worked ?

When people are convinced their ideas are their own.

Pavlov would be so proud of these Hollywood type progressists, they have been well trained.

GET WOKE

GO BROKE

Get Woke, Go broke is 100% untrue. The very premise of the argument NEVER is backed up with any proof. It is a childish cry from insecure men and "pick me" women. If get woke, go broke was a real thing then Terminator and Terminator 2 would have flopped. Salvation was starring a screaming Christan Bale and Sam Worthington and flopped hard.

i mean this isn't really true. "woke movies" is a pretty vague and broad term these days i'd say they have a 50/50 hit rate like anything else that broad. and it's probably pretty low on this list of reasons dark fate is a flop if it even is one.

I really don't get the problem with having women in action movies. We had plenty of examples of movies being great with women leads. More recently Edge of Tomorrow, Emily Blunt was awesome and she gets to shoot the lead. I dont think people complained. Maybe the director/leads didn't scream to the press about misogynistic audience that's why Emily Blunt is beloved in the role.