Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

But what about

I saw that when I was 10 and thought it was a real cartoon, so when I found out the movie was gonna be an 18 and I couldn't see it a week later I was so confused

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

again, i don't think "this looks too woke" was the problem here. 

in fact this thread, today, is the first i'm hearing that this new terminator was trying to be "woke". like... ok? are we just gonna do this for every movie with a female lead from now?

Exactly the point of my wall of whining that somehow didn't land. That's what I'm saying. People who are sick of "woke" movies are really sick of pre-release marketing acting like every movie with a female lead is discovering fire. That happens all the time and it's stupid because it's a normal thing now, no need to virtue signal like "hey, look, we made a Terminator movie with a female lead! How progressive!" since Terminator movies always had a female lead, lol. 

@NamakFiskKa and they are now united in ignoring this crap. A historical day for Twitter. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

In general some people here (imo) tend to overthink how so called "politics" affect a movies box office. The vast majority of the GA is not on Twitter. The vast majority of the GA coudnt care less about what is defined as "woke" or whatever word you want to use. They look at the movies that are playing in town and then decide: "Looks interesting, ill see it" or "Nah, that looks like trash".

Terminator Dark Fate, The Predator 2018, Dark Phoenix, Mortal Engines and so on ... all of them looked just so bland. Thats the main reason they underperformed/flopped.

If your movie isnt part of some big franchise where the people will come no matter what or your brand has only a niche fanbase, you need to make your product as appealing as possible. If you fail at that ... sure, you can complain on Twitter about the woke culture but you should know that your missing the point completely. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

In general some people here (imo) tend to overthink how so called "politics" affect a movies box office. The vast majority of the GA is not on Twitter. The vast majority of the GA coudnt care less about what is defined as "woke" or whatever word you want to use. They look at the movies that are playing in town and then decide: "Looks interesting, ill see it" or "Nah, that looks like trash".

Terminator Dark Fate, The Predator 2018, Dark Phoenix, Mortal Engines and so on ... all of them looked just so bland. Thats the main reason they underperformed/flopped.

If your movie isnt part of some big franchise where the people will come no matter what or your brand has only a niche fanbase, you need to make your product as appealing as possible. If you fail at that ... sure, you can complain on Twitter about the woke culture but you should know that your missing the point completely. 

This I agree with completely. most people aren't on Twitter, most people aren't on social media talking about movies. People online need to stop being so annoyed with pre-release interviews that are used to promote the movie. If you don't like the interviews then don't watch them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I didn't think the film would do well. Genisys being terrible killed any interest in the series. Funny how all of you guys whining about Captain Marvel didn't effect its box office one tiny bit. And your side addressed being wrong by claiming that Disney bought 100's of millions of dollars worth of tickets. 😂

Because guys flocked to CM, lol. A guy bragged about seeing the movie 110 times lmao! No woman ever bothered with such a thing. Women are not stupid. Remember that guys made 64% of CM audience on Women's Day. :rofl:

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 3

I haven't talked to anybody over the past week who has said, "I'd love to go to that new Terminator movie, but man...it just sounds so damn woke."

I've talked to a lot of people who have said: "They're making another Terminator movie?" which is usually followed by a WTF shrug.

That's why we're getting a sub $30 opening.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

I'm a little worried about the politics in the upcoming Avatar movies, if they can strike a balance that would ignite debate pro & con on both sides that would be ideal, if Cameron decides to hammer in one specific direction only there could be a problem. The world of 2019-2021 is quite different from 2009, everything has been social media weaponized and balanced/rational discourse has been tossed out the window in favour of grade school insults and a us vs them mentality, right or wrong be damned along with truth and hard facts. 

I mean, Avatar was HUMANS BAD for two and a half hours plus, I don't see much "both sides" to be had. Besides, the people who whined about it in 2009 will whine about it in 2021 regardless.

Edited by cookie