Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

19 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Will Mal 2 even lose money after you factor in video and digital sales? Funny thing is even when Mal 2 and Dumbo lose money, it's still less expensive than Netflix spending $200 to make movies.

Because Netflix doesn't earn anything in digital? 🤔

And actually, if MAL2 goes to Disney+ it won't make that much in "digital sales". It is a new world.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Just wondering about this - if they decide to make another Terminator movie 5 years down the line, will they use the “we are continuing from T2” thing that T3, Salvation, Genisys and Dark Fate have all used?

Genisys resets the timeline tho. It deletes all previous movies from it. 

Also, wasn't Salvation a direct sequel to T3? I admit I don't remember nearly anything about it.

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Genisys resets the timeline tho. It deletes all previous movies from it. 

Also, wasn't Salvation a direct sequel to T3? I admit I don't remember nearly anything about it.

Yeah it is. John’s wife who was introduced in T3 is in it . Though it’s a loose sequel overall 

12 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think Top Gun 2 is going to flop. Curise only brings in the big bucks when he is playing Ethan Hunt and i don't see Top Gun 2 doing as well as that godawful Mummy movie overseas.

I also wonder if the zeitgeist is wrong for TG2. This is not the Reagen era, and after 18 years of war, I think people are simply not in the mood for a rah rah gung ho contemporary war movie.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

Don’t see how Dark Fate has bad marketing.  They various promotional partners. If anything they might have spent too much 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-dark-fate-markets-a-terminator-franchise-reset-1251181

Just spending money on marketing wild do not good if the marketing itself..commericals, trailer, etc, are not well done.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Well Maleficent 2 cost $185m and had a huge global marketing campaign on top of that. 

Netflix doesn’t have any marketing costs for 99% of their films. 

And Netflix spends 200m just to stay alive. They are in serious trouble. Cost to buy other content is sky rocketing. I love Netflix but they have to do this just to be competitive.

Apple streaming is free for Apple cult fans. $5 a month or $50 a year otherwise. Hell I probably will buy Apple TV for $50 a year.

Edited by cdsacken

2 hours ago, TMP said:

The big Netflix movie that opened this weekend is gonna be a huge Oscar player though, and it's tied with Parasite as the best reviewed film of the year.

Good I want Netflix to stay alive. I have 2 years of service prepaid.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Woof both Joker and Mal 2 are having sensation day. Sub 40% drop from last saturday for Mal 2 and Joker is probably looking sub 25% !!!! But this is just AMC.

I did not bother to track Terminator. Movie is DOA.

How about Harriet 

52 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Woof both Joker and Mal 2 are having sensation day. Sub 40% drop from last saturday for Mal 2 and Joker is probably looking sub 25% !!!! But this is just AMC.

I did not bother to track Terminator. Movie is DOA.

So IF AMC generalized exactly, this would be something along the lines of: 
J 8.186*.76=6.2M (+62%)  

M 8.27*.63=5.2M (+66%)  

I assume the bumps from Friday won't be as close in the national actuals, but never know for sure I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

J 8.186*.76=6.2M (+62%)  

M 8.27*.63=5.2M (+66%)  

I assume the bumps from Friday won't be as close in the national actuals, but never know for sure I suppose.

I think Mal 2 will go higher. That is base. May be 35% week on week drop only. Let me update after 10PM PST.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

J 8.186*.76=6.2M (+62%)  

M 8.27*.63=5.2M (+66%)  

Dang that would translate to like 14M for Joker (27% drop!!!) and 12M for Maleficent for the weekend, right?