TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean yeah fair enough if you count those I guess, but counting blade/f4 is cheating. Deadpool wasnt really MCU either before but I guess we can count it since atleast it is the same cast (this obviously will increase huge with Hugh, super safe prediction, could even be a billy grosser perhaps). Thunderbolts and BW as same franchise seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Thunderbolts is BW sequel in disguise.

https://thedirect.com/article/black-widow-2-sequel-upcoming-marvel-confirms

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

think most people in some parts of Asia prefer Eternals over Shang Chi.

Shang Chi's 3rd act was atrocious..

This. Eternals is mostly "meh", overlong, over-stuffed with characters still being introduced/explored around the 2 hours mark, but it looks pretty and is consistently bland. Shang Chi was genuinely fantastic for the first two acts and the third is one of the worst of any superhero flick. Like, not only is it bad, on a 2016 Suicide Squad level, but because of the squandered potential built up with the first two acts, it's somehow worse.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This. Eternals is mostly "meh", overlong, over-stuffed with characters still being introduced/explored around the 2 hours mark, but it looks pretty and is consistently bland. Shang Chi was genuinely fantastic for the first two acts and the third is one of the worst of any superhero flick. Like, not only is it bad, on a 2016 Suicide Squad level, but because of the squandered potential built up with the first two acts, it's somehow worse.

Exactly. 3rd act was terrible..and I got reminded of how bad it was when I saw the new Shazam 2 trailer.

Plus in Asia, we watch Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen movies growing up; fight scenes in Shang Chi are meh.. from our PoV. But understand why it could be considered refreshing in the West.

19 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

SC's problem going forward is that its most popular character won't be in the movie. Tony Leung carried the first movie, that's a stone cold fact. Eternals was a mistake, period. It felt disconnected from the rest of MCU yet it was part of it and it didn't fit. The explanation that they couldn't interfere unless re: Decepticons or whatever their name was laughable. That's on top of the blandest characters this side of that Amazon cotton candy vomit, and ridiculously serious tone that produced unintentional camp (atomic bomb :hahaha:nuff said). Givng this movie a sequel would be vanity not a sound business decision. Move on. Keep Harry Styles if you must cause he appeared only in closing credits but forget about the rest especially Cersei. I still like Kingo for what it's worth. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Which parts? Even in Asia, every audience score I've seen has Shang-Chi ahead of Eternals. 

Hong Kong; we use HKmovie6 app to see reviews. Shang Chi is at 3.7, Eternals at 3.8

(out of 5).

China Douban; Eternals score dropped a little, it was slightly above 6. Now 5.8, SC is 6 but very close.

Yahoo Taiwan Movies as well in 2021 and Singapore Golden Village reviews but i can't access now... those pages have expired.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I've just checked. ANT-MAN AND THE WASP opened with $66.7M in China. 🤯

Yeah it won´t even get close to that during it´s full run. It is what it is. Whatever it gets while horrible compared to it´s previous MCU China movies it is still a boost to the BO. Just not as big as maybe one would have thought

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thajdikt said:

Yeah it won´t even get close to that during it´s full run. It is what it is. Whatever it gets while horrible compared to it´s previous MCU China movies it is still a boost to the BO. Just not as big as maybe one would have thought

Depending on Marketing costs there, there may be gross revenues but many studios actually lose money if the films don't do well there. But if it is about bragging rights, then yeah always good to have China. 

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Depending on Marketing costs there, there may be gross revenues but many studios actually lose money if the films don't do well there. But if it is about bragging rights, then yeah always good to have China. 

Yeah I was simply looking at the bragging rights part in relation to numbers. People are very obsessed with raw numbers these days without focus on costs and all that.

29 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I agree. I wonder, though. Will China still be its top overseas market despite the drop in numbers?