TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

If they want She-Hulk in the MCU they better multiverse the John Byrne version in cause no one is paying to see that TV version on the big screen.

I really wish She-Hulk was a more straightforward Ally Mcbeal style legal comedy set in the MCU, like several of the episodic subplots tried to be, without the albatross of the larger narrative.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

And Patton Oswalt is a pretty weak anchor for your argument about a sequel being confirmed.

Yes, an actor in a movie saying there is a sequel in development is news, whether you like the news or not. Multiple credible people have reported a sequel is happening. The producers have said the characters are coming back. It's a pretty reasonable conclusion, even if you didn't like the movie yourself.

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

is that even possible? so many things are already in production, and I wonder if things that are already in pre-production are even "stoppable" at this point

We won't see a change in quality until phase 6 because phase 5 has been planned out and is far into pre-production. If Disney were to scrap parts of phase 5 and start over, the entire saga would be pushed back 3 years maybe...Honestly, that would be a good thing 

Edited by TheFlatLannister

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

yes let’s release a sequel to a badly received   film that flopped more than half a decade later 

Marvel already has worked on at least two follow ups to Incredible Hulk, which came out over a decade ago. Including a possible sequel.

Hell, they followed up on the ABC Inhumans TV series, which lasted all of 8 episodes and Feige didn't even work on.

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes, an actor in a movie saying there is a sequel in development is news, whether you like the news or not. Multiple credible people have reported a sequel is happening. The producers have said the characters are coming back. It's a pretty reasonable conclusion, even if you didn't like the movie yourself.

Actually I greatly enjoyed Eternals. Thought it was a well-paced, character driven breath of fresh air with interesting cosmic concepts. 3rd act was disappointing though when it reverted to a standard MCU cgi mess. Wish it explored the "through the ages" element more.

Patton Oswalt doesn't count as "an actor in a movie". He voiced a dwarft in a post credits scene, which would have taken two hours at most in the recording booth, months and months after principal photography wrapped.

Now if any of the actual top billed actors mentioned a sequel being in active development, that would be another story. Even Kumail Nanjiani, one of said top billed actors, had this to say:

"I don’t think Patton was right. I think that there was a hoax website – one of those where it’s like one letter off from the real one. They tweeted it, and it spread around and I think that’s what Patton saw." (https://theplaylist.net/kumail-nanjiani-has-no-idea-if-or-when-eternals-2-might-happen-but-is-keen-on-a-future-ms-marvel-team-up-20221107/)

There's no sequel currently being developed. Take the loss and move on. I am, as this is the last I'm engaging with you on this subject. Maybe any subject.

16 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

We won't see a change in quality until phase 6 because phase 5 has been planned out and is far into pre-production. If Disney were to scrap parts of phase 5 and start over, the entire saga would be pushed back 3 years maybe...Honestly, that would be a good thing 

I kinda disagree with partly. We will see what the outcome is but I believe that there is possible for them to see the change in Phase 5 just not before next year. The 10 month break after The Marvels kinda is perfect because they´re still yet to start shooting so  many of the Phase 5 movies. A lot of the productions that are ramping up now will have the feedback from the negatives in Phase 4. Less projects will help with quality control hopefully. But for instance on the D+ side they already seem to be ditching the 6 hours movie b.s and moving on to making actual series. Wonder Woman will have reportedly have 10 episodes, Agatha will have 9 episodes and Daredevil with 18. So you can see here that they´re listening to common complaints,

So there is possibly to change things quality wise for the stuff that is in pre-production. Especially because many of the movies have some similar complaints. That said I don´t think Marvel can get to a streak like Phase 6 at the earliest. The ball is in their corner now to prove to if they can do it. I remain hopeful but that is fading fast. However while not 3 years I think pushing back Kang Dynasti and Secret Wars is something they need to do. Give it more space. There´s is no place for a Spider-Man movie or DS3 that is apparently getting fasttracked without making like 5 movies a year.

• Like 1

The news that Marvel was going to reevaluate what didn’t work in Phase Four and scale things back moving forward came at the end of last year, and none of the films in their 2024 slate have begun filming yet, so maybe they’ll have the chance to turn things around. I don’t know how likely that is, but at least they’re apparently trying. 

It should also be noted that I think Chapek being CEO didn´t help. The report of him making thing harder for creatives and meddling with BW release and all that. We will see how true it is if things suddenly becomes better under Iger again.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I'm always reading that things are building to this Young Avengers movie and I always roll my eyes. I'm truly fascinated by the idea that would be a big hit cause it sounds terrible. 

They won´t do a Young Avengers movie. At least not use that name. It´s to valuable of name to throw away for that kind of movie. Also I don´t really get this Young Avengers hype within the fandom. There have been nothing hinting to it at all. Introducing characters that were apart of Young Avengers in the comics doesn´t automatically mean that´s the direction they will take in the MCU

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Or hell, just go antihero with it. Wanda can have changed as a person but not be forgiven yet for what she did to Westview.

That is the way to go with Wanda: make her main motive a search for redemption.

As for Avengers 5, the main charecter does not have to be the leader of the Avengers.

The other day I was with my brother as I had breakfast and he put a YouTube video which apparently is from a guy who only uploads *leaks* and rumors from insiders and certain sub-reddit. And yeah; it's not massive but he does have hundreds of thousands of views.

At least within my circle that wasn't a thing even during Endgame. Yeah, leaks have always happened but now more than ever I get conversations with friends who are merely casual audience talking about *leaks* and stuff like that especially after No Way Home.

I think we're also in a stage where people want a faster gratification even with this kind of content. For many people is starting to be like "I would rather know what's going to happen and if there's a surprise appearance for me to see" rather than actually set themselves to just enjoy a movie.

I think more content and insider culture has killed a part of the excitement and interest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

The other day I was with my brother as I had breakfast and he put a YouTube video which apparently is from a guy who only uploads *leaks* and rumors from insiders and certain sub-reddit. And yeah; it's not massive but he does have hundreds of thousands of views.

At least within my circle that wasn't a thing even during Endgame. Yeah, leaks have always happened but now more than ever I get conversations with friends who are merely casual audience talking about *leaks* and stuff like that especially after No Way Home.

I think we're also in a stage where people want a faster gratification even with this kind of content. For many people is starting to be like "I would rather know what's going to happen and if there's a surprise appearance for me to see" rather than actually set themselves to just enjoy a movie.

I think more content and insider culture has killed a part of the excitement and interest.

This is so spot on. This current era is just like that. It´s annoying that it has come to that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

This is becoming an actually major problem in today's world IMO. People everywhere (20 years and younger much more) are becoming incapable of having just a bit of patience, a minimal attention span, ansiety through the roof and all of that stuff. It honestly does not surprise me that movies are suffering with the same thing.

7 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

It honestly does not surprise me that movies are suffering with the same thing.

To me it also explains why people are asking for more interconnected stories and continuous set-ups for future installments yet they fail to make people actually show up. People want to know there's going to be more multiverse but they don't actually care about development.

MCU played straight with nostalgia but will mess up with anything non-related or that merely serves up as a bridge, like this one it seems. 

After Secret Wars this could be just Kevin Feige writing Tik Toks for Michael Peña to narrate and people would see them.

• Like 1

In my opinion the movie is very good. I like the family arc, the Janet and Kang stuff. And well like everyone already said Kang is great. But it also was actually funny and the world building is amazing. For me it’s an A

Edited by lor15
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

This. I think Marvel's content alone has satiated the market. I am perfectly fine with just 2 movies and 1 to 2 series a year.

This year is very CBMs heavy. Last year, we had six movies. This year, we have eight. Nine if we include SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE.

The only months without a CBM opener are January, April, September, and November.