TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

I read somewhere that the scale of this ant-man movie was supposed to be pretty big so I’d expect it to release theatrically.

Tbh, will any marvel movie even make less then 800m going forward? Maybe BW, but only cause of covid and release date I think. Too much money for marvel to throw away to not release theatrically. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

First straight to D+ Marvel movie? Don't see them fitting 5 theatrical releases in a year.

If any of the known films were going to go to D+, this would be the one. With that being said however, it's more likely she just misspoke. 

My current working theory is that by 2024, they will do 4 theatrical MCU films and 1 D+ film a year going forward. Couple all that with the live action seasons (5-6 a year) and you've got MCU canon content every week of the year. This theory doesn't even include animated seasons which I imagine will get up to 3-4 a year by 2025 or things like specials (GOTG Holiday Special) or shorts (I Am Groot). 

30 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I read somewhere that the scale of this ant-man movie was supposed to be pretty big so I’d expect it to release theatrically.

Tbh, will any marvel movie even make less then 800m going forward? Maybe BW, but only cause of covid and release date I think. Too much money for marvel to throw away to not release theatrically. 

I guess Shang-Chi could depending on lingering covid impact, if China hates it.    

Eternals nah, SM3 no frikkin way, DS2 no, Thor4 no, BP2 no, CM2 no. First opportunities would be Blade, AM3, or Fantastic Four in 2023, but unless global BO overall is down (possible) I think all 3 would make it easily with a combination of ATP growth, market expansion, and growth in the MCU overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

First opportunities would be Blade,

I'd honestly be shocked if Blade makes $800m. Even if Covid never happened, I wouldn't see that happening. That's a $450-550m WW film IMO (unless they crossover other heroes into it).

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Occam’s Razor: she misspoke or was misinformed

However, tbh, there’s plenty of room in early September. It’s 2 months after BP2, 2 months before CM2, no big competition issues.

Just saw this on Twitter

15 hours ago, Wormow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I am reasonable Marvel Comics fan from my youth, but not Ant-Man, and I know nothing about what you're talking about, so for general audiences, I'm sure it will work fine!  😂 

18 hours ago, cax16 said:

Fantastic four will struggle to do even 400M worldwide.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

A small-scale MCU movie would have to be exceptionally bad to miss 400M. I mean really, truly putrid. Even in that case it would be dicey. And for F4 it would be even tougher since they are pretty large-scale heroes with lots of action.

Edited by Menor

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

Opening weekend? Probably. 

Worldwide total? Lol. 

The 2005 version made almost $350 million but you’re telling me the 2023 MCU version will struggle for $400m?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Lmao, it’ll probably pass 400 OS-C (unless global theatergoing has collapsed altogether). 

I can’t believe we’re 12 years and 23 movies into the MCU and some people are still utterly clueless about how it works.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Lmao, it’ll probably pass 400 OS-C (unless global theatergoing has collapsed altogether). 

I can’t believe we’re 12 years and 23 movies into the MCU and some people are still utterly clueless about how it works.

Especially considering where we are at in the MCU in terms of hero crossover. Have the FF show up in BP2, or have a major current hero show up in FF, and that’s just gonna add to it. 

Right now, knowing nothing about the film at all but assuming theaters are fully recovered and Disney isn’t doing day and day D+ releases by then, I’d think FF would be good for 2017 MCU money (GOTG2, SM:H, Ragnarok all did around $870m WW).