Eric Atreides

House of Gucci | MGM | November 24, 2021 | Lady Gaga stars | Ridley Scott directs

31 minutes ago, AJG said:

Just got this Ad on twitter. Either Universal jumped the gun or home release imminent 

Screenshot-20211223-205423-Twitter.jpg

Makes sense I guess, week 5. I think “Old” was the only one they left for ages before hitting digital for some reason. 

Looking forward to seeing this again.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

$125.7m worldwide now and still going internationally. 

Looks like it’ll pass $50m domestic too. 

I hope so too! 50M dom and 130M WW would be really nice rounded numbers. :)

I think that dom theaters cut it too early. New movies (Matrix, Nightmare Alley) didn't perform while Gucci obviously still has some gas in its tank. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 11:08 AM, Krissykins said:

Makes sense I guess, week 5. I think “Old” was the only one they left for ages before hitting digital for some reason. 

Looking forward to seeing this again.

M. Night Shyamalan asked for a 90 days window, that is why.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:12 AM, titanic2187 said:

They could have try one last expansion before the movie completely out from theater. But considering they didn't do this with NTTD, unlikely HoG will get one. Luckily the movie still get 3x multipliers (thanks to thanksgiving opening) to 50m total

They reexpand HOG to more 700 location this weekend, total count >1300

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

why do gaga stans act as if this movie is a hit?? it has done, at best, ok numbers

I don’t think it takes a Gaga fan to measure the success of this film versus all the other adult drama failures last year. Pretty evident this was the ONLY film to drag certain demos out of hiding and to theaters in moderate fashion during the pandemic. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, harry713 said:

I don’t think it takes a Gaga fan to measure the success of this film versus all the other adult drama failures last year. Pretty evident this was the ONLY film to drag certain demos out of hiding and to theaters in moderate fashion during the pandemic. 

Which, to me, suggests it probably could've broken even if it wasn't for the pandemic.

• Like 1

The 20th biggest movie in 2021 made $61M. In 2019, the 20th biggest movie of the final year before everything in life was upended made $142M. Given how rough the recovery has been for anything that isn't in the comic book or horror genres and/or having immense appeal to the 18-34 male demo, $50M+ for a 2.5 hour drama that was hardly a critical favorite and isn't expected to be a major awards contender beyond acting at most (even before the pandemic, movies of that sort were becoming lucky if they even came close to approaching that number) has to be considered some sort of minor miracle.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 35MM-18 said:

Which, to me, suggests it probably could've broken even if it wasn't for the pandemic.

it's at 134M WW after last weekend, with some big markets opening this week, and then there's re-expansion dom. Since 2 x budget = break even, 2 x 75M = 150M. It's 16M away from that goal. Even if it doesn't quite hit the mark, it'll come very close which is success all things considered and suggests it would have been bone fide profitable w/o pandemic.

• Like 1