Eric Atreides

House of Gucci | MGM | November 24, 2021 | Lady Gaga stars | Ridley Scott directs

4 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

I thought the Actress Wars last year were obnoxious, and that was really just Carey Mulligan stans going at Vanessa Kirby and Viola (they never really saw the Frances win coming).

On top of all the big name ACTRESSES (and their fans) going at it this year, the last time Gaga was in the Best Actress race, you even had some Madonna stans trying to stir up negativity against her ("Madge said 'there can be 100 people in a room' first!", Jon Peters got MeToo'd!). And it's not like Madonna was going to get nominated instead, it was just pop gurl rivalry nonsense. This year will be wild, but watch Olivia Colman win again.

The trailers have been fun but the editors didn't exactly tax themselves finding musical cues...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Ridley Scott is a marvel. At his age to still be churning out interesting movies at the pace he does them is still amazing. His quality has dipped but who else is making interesting adult dramas with stars at the pace he does? Lets hope he can keep it going a few more years and the "Ridley Scott attached" moniker turns into more actual movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronin46 said:

Ridley Scott is a marvel. At his age to still be churning out interesting movies at the pace he does them is still amazing. His quality has dipped but who else is making interesting adult dramas with stars at the pace he does? Lets hope he can keep it going a few more years and the "Ridley Scott attached" moniker turns into more actual movies.

I remember back in 2014 and early 2015 before The Martian was a smash hit, the internet was saying Ridley Scott is washed up and should retire.   This was after The Counselor and Exodus were such miscalculated misfires on top of a lot of people not liking Prometheus.  He also had Body of Lies and Robin hood before that which a lot of people didn't care for.  With The Martian and The Last Duel, hes still one of today's top tier directors when hes got the right material imo.  Do I dare say The Last Duel is better than Dune without incurring the wrath of dunebros?  Because it is.

House of Gucci doesn't exactly look up my alley, but if Ridley Scott pulls off a goofy epic hit with critics and audiences, that'd be great for him and show more range.  I'm much more curious about the Napolean movie with Joaquin Phoenix and Jodie Comer because its Phoenix playing fucking Napoleon and you already know the Napoleonic era is gonna look really good in a Scott movie.  And Joaquin Phoenix is supposedly really stingy about the screenplays he signs on for so thats a good sign.  After that, make a kick ass western movie and then Ridley Scott can retire.

• Like 1

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I remember back in 2014 and early 2015 before The Martian was a smash hit, the internet was saying Ridley Scott is washed up and should retire.   This was after The Counselor and Exodus were such miscalculated misfires on top of a lot of people not liking Prometheus.  He also had Body of Lies and Robin hood before that which a lot of people didn't care for.  With The Martian and The Last Duel, hes still one of today's top tier directors when hes got the right material imo.  Do I dare say The Last Duel is better than Dune without incurring the wrath of dunebros?  Because it is.

House of Gucci doesn't exactly look up my alley, but if Ridley Scott pulls off a goofy epic hit with critics and audiences, that'd be great for him and show more range.  I'm much more curious about the Napolean movie with Joaquin Phoenix and Jodie Comer because its Phoenix playing fucking Napoleon and you already know the Napoleonic era is gonna look really good in a Scott movie.  And Joaquin Phoenix is supposedly really stingy about the screenplays he signs on for so thats a good sign.  After that, make a kick ass western movie and then Ridley Scott can retire.

I point well made. However I actually quite liked Body of Lies and I am very high on the Counsellor. I know its batshit crazy and Diaz is acting in a different movie but I really dug it. 

I am very interested in the Napolean movie. I mean Ridley was made for this type of movie. Comer after he turn in the Last Duel and Phoenix is just a great mix. I am hoping for something as good as Kingdom of Heaven (directors 4hr cut) which is sublime.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Dunebro here and no wrath at all from me. :)The Last Duel is legit great. Also, its RT average went up to 7.4 while Dune's went down to 7.6 so they ended up very close to each other critically. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Dunebro here and no wrath at all from me. :)The Last Duel is legit great. Also, its RT average went up to 7.4 while Dune's went down to 7.6 so they ended up very close to each other critically. 

that was just me being snarky because I've seen "dunebro" and I think it sounds funny

I dug Dune and that world and I'm really glad Deni is getting to complete his story.  But when it comes to performances, memorable characters, and emotional resonance, Duel is definitely the stronger film imo. 

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

that was just me being snarky because I've seen "dunebro" and I think it sounds funny

I dug Dune and that world and I'm really glad Deni is getting to complete his story.  But when it comes to performances, memorable characters, and emotional resonance, Duel is definitely the stronger film imo. 

Oh I love Dunebros too. Rolls off a tongue nicely. That's Dune fans who gather only in Dune Dom Thread. But the ones who populate Dune OS Thread are DuneCHADS, the higher level of Dunevolution. :shades:

I agree that The last Duel is more of a director and actors movie than Dune which is more of a director and tech movie. Both great, though, so we had strong October, 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

and why the characters are talking in english but with the italian accent when the movie is set in Italy and they are italians?. This choice is so stupid 😅.

To be loyal to the original in italian they should dub it like they are italo americans when they are just italians?

Edited by vale900

43 minutes ago, vale900 said:

and why the characters are talking in english but with the italian accent when the movie is set in Italy and they are italians?. This choice is so stupid 😅.

To be loyal to the original in italian they should dub it like they are italo americans when they are just italians?

Because then you couldn't have in the trailer

"Academy Award nominee Lady Gaga"

"Academy Award nominee Adam Driver"

Academy Award winner Al Pacino"

"Academy Award nominee Selma Hayek"

"Academy Award winner Jared Leto"

They also wouldn't make any money.

• Like 5