charlie Jatinder

South East Asia Box Office Thread.

South East Asia 

330px-Southeast_Asia_(orthographic_proje

Thread for South East Asian Countries Box Office.

Highest Grossers in Indonesia

Spoiler
  1. Avengers: Endgame - Rp497B
  2. Spider-man: No Way Home - Rp352B (4th Weekend)
  3. Avengers: Infinity War - Rp352B
  4. Captain Marvel - Rp276B
  5. Warkop DKI Reborn: Jangkrik Boss! Part 1 - Rp274B
  6. The Fate of the Furious - Rp266B
  7. Dilan 1990 - Rp259B
  8. Aladdin - Rp259B
  9. Aquaman - Rp246B
  10. Furious 7 - Rp229B

Highest Grossers in Malaysia

Spoiler
  1. Avengers: Endgame - 87M
  2. Avengers: Infinity War - 68M
  3. Spider-man: No Way Home - 60.5M (5th Weekend)
  4. F7 - 58.3M
  5. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 57.6M
  6. Jumanji 2: The Next Level - 56.4M
  7. The Fate of the Furious - 53.8M
  8. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 52M
  9. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 51.2M
  10. Jurassic World - 48.5M

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

This is the thread for South East Asian countries Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. Didn't find any.

@titanic2187 @newbie BO buff @dada @RthTIFF please keep this going 

There was an Indonesian thread  created by @catlover for Indonesia. 

On separate note, I think it is quite safe to say that Endgame is on top of all time chart in every countries of south east asian like a clean sweep with huge margin . 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

There was an Indonesian thread  created by @catlover for Indonesia. 

On separate note, I think it is quite safe to say that Endgame is on top of all time chart in every countries of south east asian like a clean sweep with huge margin . 

It was @newbie BO buff who created it. But now he's busy with his box office related twitter account and his movie-rating application (which also has weekly movie admission numbers). So the thread is not updated, since he's the one who has all the data.

2 hours ago, newbie BO buff said:

Guilty as charged, will try to update here as well.

That's okay. I tried to update the thread with the numbers from your tweets, or at least I was planning to, but then I got lazy, and I wasn't even THAT busy lol.

10 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Maleficent 2 highest grossing Disney Live Action in Malaysia beating The Lion King. Didn't see that coming.

@titanic2187 you gotta say something.

Also If you are aware, why was Dilwale so huge in Malaysia, but none of SRK other films did even 10% of what it did?

It is very hard for me to comment as Malaysia doesn't track box office properly and lack of transparency like markets except for local film, even that was released by government agency on the quarterly basis. Distributor will only announced the number if they break some records. Plus, south east asian never gain any big attention in box office discussion. It is only until IW+EG then some people realise just how big SE market can be.

In the case of Dilwale success, me too wonder how can that film was rivaling SW7 when it was released here in Dec2015 but Indian film can generate quite a big sum here in Malaysia in local scale. One noticeable different is Dilwale receive much bigger marketing push than normal Bollywood film. And SRK is a big star locally, along with Aamir Khan, he is one of few foreigner to receive "Datuk" title (a local prestigious title conferred by royal house). 

Also, Bollywood film are quite popular here, the major TV channel show Bollywood film or any Indian film every weekend. It is to some Malaysian a habit to watch Indian film on TV over the weekend. Don't be surprise if you come to Malaysia only to find out that every TV channel is showing indian film on weekend afternoon. There were many cinema here like exclusively or largely showing Indian film, which can generate big number if distributor is willing to push .

On 11/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, PKMLover said:

What is the buzz for Frozen 2 in Southeast Asian so far??

The buzz isn't strong to be honest and has not been picking up since the first teaser but the upcoming year-end school holiday would certainly help.. Disney princess movie has not been doing great here in SE except maybe Aladdin live action.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

-snip-

My query was that how Dilwale was able to do $3.65mn despite being very average film while the second highest grossing SRK film is $250k only. Even Dangal is $750k only.

Tamil films do well in Malaysia regularly, Bollywood is smaller market. It's an irony that Dilwale, a Bollywood film is at top, only Bolly film in Top 20, all others are Tamil films.

14 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Maleficent 2 highest grossing Disney Live Action in Malaysia beating The Lion King. Didn't see that coming.

Yeah, it's also the 2nd highest grossing Disney live action in Indonesia beating TLK and BatB. Didn't expect that at all. Somehow Maleficent became even more popular than when the 1st movie came out. So popular that people (including local celebrities) dressing as Maleficent went viral on social media.

Aladdin is still the most surprising thing here this year. Followed by Joker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, danhtruong5 said:

I think the whole Asean will be around $30M more than F1 that can help to balance one part of the loss in Japan.

India: +6mn

Indonesia: +8mn I guess

Philippines: +8mn

Vietnam: +4mn

These itself are +26mn. I think adding Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand we may clear 40mn rise perhaps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

India: +6mn

Indonesia: +8mn I guess

Philippines: +8mn

Vietnam: +4mn

These itself are +26mn. I think adding Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand we may clear 40mn rise perhaps.

Indonesdia and Philippines both opened with $6M+, ..... maybe they can pull 2x legs to finish with $12M+

And their lifetime gross for F1 back then are both around $2M..

So maybe both Indonesia and Philipines +$10M

15 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Indonesdia and Philippines both opened with $6M+, ..... maybe they can pull 2x legs to finish with $12M+

And their lifetime gross for F1 back then are both around $2M..

So maybe both Indonesia and Philipines +$10M

@newbie BO buff told in Indonesia thread that perhaps 10-11mn from here.

6 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

@newbie BO buff told in Indonesia thread that perhaps 10-11mn from here.

Even if FROZEN II has the customary 2nd week 60% blockbuster drop, it will get to $9.7M, which makes $10M a foregone conclusion.

And looks like it's not dropping that hard. So $10M on second week is achievable.

• Like 2

so can we make a list about top grossing animated film in all southeast asia country and HK,Taiwan?

I have Malaysia 

Malaysia(RM):

1.Boboiboy2 29.6m

2.up&skin 25.28m

3.Incredibles2 21.1m

4.BH6 20.5M

5.How to train your dargon3 20m

6.Kung Fu Panda2 18.3m

7.Boboiboy1 15m

8.Frozen1 15m

9.Kung Fu pander3 14.85m

10,The Angry bird 13m