charlie Jatinder

South East Asia Box Office Thread.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Naa this is South East Asia thread. GvK was last one to release all over.

Ah okay. I skimmed through the topic.

Anyway - Singapore loves MCU; top 5 highest grossing films in history are the Avengers films and Iron Man 3. 😅 

Shang Chi will do well even if word of mouth is terrible, let alone if WoM is average / good. 

Plus Singapore's roll out of vaccinated halls came in the last two weeks which really increased the capacity.

On the other hand; other parts of Southeast Asia waiting for a pirated copy. Haha.🤫

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

@charlie Jatinder@Gavin Feng@john2000

Hong Kong reviews also tanking per HKmovie9 app - 3.3 / 5 out average of 17 reviews.!

Recent release - Free Guy and Raging Fire both are at 4.4.

See whether it stabilises and goes above 4. 

well i dont know how good the translation is......but from what i saw it seemed to me that there were a decent amount (not all of them ) of reviews that seemed as people didnt even see the movie.More particularly the reviews that i am talking about seemed to be identical to ones which someone can find on imbd (when people give low ratings for the sake of it) ,anyways  lets see how it goes if its mostly review bombing it will start rising at least by a little (not for certain though ,captain marvels scores didnt increase at all in the us sites) and it will probably have decent legs.We shall see

Edited by john2000

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

@TigerPaw  

3,7 now..good

Let’s see where it goes. Read some reviews and I can understand why some are mixed - to be honest, a lot of us in Asia, Chinese speaking countries watched Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen films growing up. They are legit martial artist, and I mean I haven’t watch the movie but at least to me and my friends I spoke to - the clip of the bus scene looks weak in comparison to fight scenes done by the 3 legends (sorry Tony Leung, as much as I love you - you are not in the same league) I name above. 

But this may be different compared to the West who doesn’t have that much exposure to Wuxia / Kungfu films and they find such fight scenes “amazing”, “refreshing”.

let’s see how the plot / storyline stacks up and whether the scores in Asia will improve. Let me check whether Taiwan has any scores up yet.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Let’s see where it goes. Read some reviews and I can understand why some are mixed - to be honest, a lot of us in Asia, Chinese speaking countries watched Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen films growing up. They are legit martial artist, and I mean I haven’t watch the movie but at least to me and my friends I spoke to - the clip of the bus scene looks weak in comparison to fight scenes done by the 3 legends (sorry Tony Leung, as much as I love you - you are not in the same league) I name above. 

But this may be different compared to the West who doesn’t have that much exposure to Wuxia / Kungfu films and they find such fight scenes “amazing”, “refreshing”.

let’s see how the plot / storyline stacks up and whether the scores in Asia will improve. Let me check whether Taiwan has any scores up yet.

I have been suspecting that this might happen for a while. Probably will not do that well in Asia. But hopefully the scores improve and my fear is unfounded. 

35 minutes ago, Menor said:

I have been suspecting that this might happen for a while. Probably will not do that well in Asia. But hopefully the scores improve and my fear is unfounded. 

Scores will definitely improve - been looking at these sites for years; such low scores at the start actually help keep expectations in check which then allows later audience to have pleasant surprise and then good reviews will come in after.

Seen this happened for quick a few films.

I think it will stabilise at around 4.0 at least.

Plus it is a MCU film, MCU fans will easily give it a 4.5 or 5.. haha. If BW gets a 3.9, don't think this will end up lower.

Edited by TigerPaw

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I heard that Malaysia cinemas may reopen at 50% capacity for fully vaxxed individuals starting from 9th Sept.

Waiting for official announcements.

Seem like the first batch of movies welcoming moviergoers back after nearly 5 months closure would be those "old" movies like BW, AQP2, F9 and TSS. SC would likely land 4 days holiday weekend next week. 

The reopening announcement come as a surprise to all because the country  is largely still under phase 1 lockdown but based on the initial blueprint, the cinema was supposed to be the last sector to be re-opened by Phase 4. So the "cutting the line" treatment raise some eyebrow out there. 

Still, given that nearly all cinema in Malaysia are embedded within shopping mall and cinema operator has been consistently one of the top tenants for retail space. A dying cinema will be big blow to property market which Government cannot accept, not to mention millions footfall from cinemagoers bring to shopping mall everyday. The chain effect of the cinema to retail property segment is just too big for government to ignore, therefore they are willing to risk it and give them a premium lane.   

• Like 1

Shang Chi Singapore

Week 1 - S$2.61M

Week 2 - S$2.00M (-23%) 

3rd Weekend - S$786K (-52%)

Total - S$5.4M (US$4M)

3rd week should end at S$5.7M. Probably another S$0.7M next week, and then will drop a bit due to NTTD. S$6.75M (Us$5M) final possible.

Indonesia releasing today. Let's see how it does. Pre-sales are strong.

Shang Chi as on 3rd October

Singapore - S$6.4M ($4.74M)

Indonesia - Rp29.17B ($2.05M)

Malaysia - RM1.70M ($0.47M)

Total - $7.26M

Thailand release on 13th October. Black Widow opened to $223K last week, can expect Shang Chi to open may be $1M+. Whole SEA region can reach $12M excluding Philippines and Vietnam.

No Time To Die opened $1M in INDO and $813K in Singapore. Can reach $5M+ in these two. Thailand opened yesterday.

Venom 2 will be first major release, hopefully will try $20M+ in the region and Eternals may try better if situation improves. No Way Home should reach $35-60M depending on how situation improves.

• Like 1