Jamiem

Frozen II 971m OS 1.44B WW

6 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Definitely. People talk of 1.6 like it's easy for animated films to achieve. I predict nothing beats Frozen 2 for at least 5 years if not closer to a decade.

2018 and 2019 warped perspectives of many. 2020 will help bring some back to reality.

Honestly me someone who thought it had the potential to hit 1.6m never said it was going to be 'easy' so that totaly misspainting it. And I agree that nothing in the comming 5 years will cross it unless an animation movie hits very big in china and even then $1.5B seems extremely hard to get. Frozen is by far the most popular animation franshise atm, that why it had a shot at $1.6m because of the brand name, hype, enthousiasme around it.

And to say people who thought 1.6B was an option for this movie have to return back to reality is bs, both @Arendelle Legion and me have been realistic through out the years. I think just because we believe F2 had the potential to get $1.6B (9.25% higher than what it will end up doing) we are somehow unrealistic.

• Like 4

Wasn’t sure if I should respond to the bait, but Pepsa nailed it. Yes, no other animation is likely to live up to this level any time soon. Frozen is the Avengers of animation, it has more potential than anything else so of course it will be judged by its own standards. Endgame doing 1.8B would have been rightfully seen as disappointing, even though possibly nothing would touch that for years to come. 1.45B here isn’t disappointing, but it’s not some mind blowing result either. People need to realize that “this is a really good result, but not exceptional given the context” is a measured perspective, not a warped one.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 6

Maybe I shoudn't have responded tbh 😛

Can we just agree that 1.45B is great, it's a sequel it increased over it's hugely populair orignal movie. The total gross is crazy good for an animation. Some thought it could have gone higher, some think it has done all it realisticly could, both are valid viewpoints are valid and we can all agree that 1.45B in the end is a great total to end on.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Can we just agree that 1.45B is great, it's a sequel it increased over it's hugely populair orignal movie. The total gross is crazy good for an animation. Some thought it could have gone higher, some think it has done all it realisticly could, both are valid viewpoints are valid and we can all agree that 1.45B in the end is a great total to end on.

no @PKMLover knows the truth

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Wasn’t sure if I should respond to the bait, but Pepsa nailed it. Yes, no other animation is likely to live up to this level any time soon. Frozen is the Avengers of animation, it has more potential than anything else so of course it will be judged by its own standards. Endgame doing 1.8B would have been rightfully seen as disappointing, even though possibly nothing would touch that for years to come. 1.45B here isn’t disappointing, but it’s not some mind blowing result either. People need to realize that “this is a really good result, but not exceptional given the context” is a measured perspective, not a warped one.

Even with the outstanding success of the first Frozen, we couldn't possibly know if it was an outlier never to be matched by a sequel or just the start of something big. There is some precedent for sequel increasing from breakout original, but not on this level of success. Incredibles 2 is probably the only comparable example from the 2010s, but that had 15 years between the two installments.

So while the potential was certainly there for F2 to make even more, we can say that it has already exceeded most expectations and it is rightfully considered as one of the big success stories of last year. I think we and most people here can agree on that. To be honest I don't think your and @cdsacken's opinion is that different on this topic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pepsa said:

Honestly me someone who thought it had the potential to hit 1.6m never said it was going to be 'easy' so that totaly misspainting it. And I agree that nothing in the comming 5 years will cross it unless an animation movie hits very big in china and even then $1.5B seems extremely hard to get. Frozen is by far the most popular animation franshise atm, that why it had a shot at $1.6m because of the brand name, hype, enthousiasme around it.

And to say people who thought 1.6B was an option for this movie have to return back to reality is bs, both @Arendelle Legion and me have been realistic through out the years. I think just because we believe F2 had the potential to get $1.6B (9.25% higher than what it will end up doing) we are somehow unrealistic.

You 2 are not the folks I'm referring to. I'm referring to the 5b Avatar 2 folks, those who think End Game did poorly because it's legs were short etc. 

Growth of cinema matters but too many ignore horrible exchange rates and their impact of world wide totals. Shattering the old record is awesome. Not perfect but awesome

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Bad comparison. What you mean to say is End Game doing 2.4B would have been disappointing and absolutely a quarter of the board would have thought that. Insane but true. Infinity War did over 2 billion.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

30 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Even with the outstanding success of the first Frozen, we couldn't possibly know if it was an outlier never to be matched by a sequel or just the start of something big. There is some precedent for sequel increasing from breakout original, but not on this level of success. Incredibles 2 is probably the only comparable example from the 2010s, but that had 15 years between the two installments.

So while the potential was certainly there for F2 to make even more, we can say that it has already exceeded most expectations and it is rightfully considered as one of the big success stories of last year. I think we and most people here can agree on that. To be honest I don't think your and @cdsacken's opinion is that different on this topic.

That is perfect. I think some feel attacked when it's not aimed at them. I'm talking about 5 billion group, 1b Pokemon group, 4 billion dune group etc.

Frozen 2 with a catchier song and perhaps more luck in Japan may get another 200m maybe. However same can be said for most movies. 

9 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That is perfect. I think some feel attacked when it's not aimed at them. I'm talking about 5 billion group, 1b Pokemon group, 4 billion dune group etc.

Frozen 2 with a catchier song and perhaps more luck in Japan may get another 200m maybe. However same can be said for most movies. 

My bad, I wrongly thought it was about me because we budded heads over this topic over the last few days (not in major way but still :) ) so sorry for miss interpretting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pepsa said:

My bad, I wrongly thought it was about me because we budded heads over this topic over the last few days (not in major way but still :) ) so sorry for miss interpretting.

If I did then my bad as well. It's perfectly reasonable to say it could have got there with a perfect storm but the existing outcome is awesome. 2b for any film is hard even End Game. I actually hope Avatar 2 hits 3B but the wrath of the stans will be mighty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pepsa said:

Nah, you couldn't do that because you love being baited 😛

Doing F1 international release calendar .... they tried to optimize it with the best windows in the cinemas for an animated film.
Doing F2 international release calendar..... they tried to optimize it with the best windows for Christmas gift purchases.

Their goal was not to repeat the mistakes of 2013, when the demand for related products was 10 times higher than availability. In this way F2 had lost something at the box office as the early (and more frontloaded) release hasn't permitted a strong Christmas-effect and is cutting hard its legs in January, but it has gained much, much more in the shops.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, edroger3 said:

Doing F1 international release calendar .... they tried to optimize it with the best windows in the cinemas for an animated film.
Doing F2 international release calendar..... they tried to optimize it with the best windows for Christmas gift purchases.

Their goal was not to repeat the mistakes of 2013, when the demand for related products was 10 times higher than availability. In this way F2 had lost something at the box office as the early (and more frontloaded) release hasn't permitted a strong Christmas-effect and is cutting hard its legs in January, but it has gained much, much more in the shops.

I think that the underperformance of TROS, cats and spies in desguise, and to a certain extent jumanji, compesated it. Otherwise if one of those movies would have overperformed, especially overseas, frozen would have made just 1.2 B

Edited by Mau