Jamiem

Frozen II 971m OS 1.44B WW

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There is no better release date than what Frozen 2 had already.

Depending on Dec strength I think the F1 date can be slightly better. But basically agreed, despite not being the best for LA or Japan holidays if you have to day and date it late Nov is a great spot to be.

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It made more money due to the fact, there was Christmas in its run.

And bc spies in desguise/cats underperformed and Star wars and Jumanji did ok. Had at least two of those films overperformed worldwide frozen would have lost so many screens and momentum. 

Edited by Mau

Just now, PKMLover said:

Keep the same release date in the rest of the world, just change the release date in Japan to the same period as Frozen 1.

I don't think it would have mattered much. Frozen 2 enjoyed a huge week in form of Christmas & New Year week. It's just that film was average in content.

39 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think it would have mattered much. Frozen 2 enjoyed a huge week in form of Christmas & New Year week. It's just that film was average in content.

Not much but I think it still matters. $130M+

Spring break at the start, then create momentum to go to Golden week, then can continue to create momentum to go on to Summer break,  Obon week.

Frozen 2 was too far away (6 weeks, more than one month) from its first holiday week, (so it already lost some momentum when it got there) although it is animated movie which was supposed to work well on holiday period

Edited by PKMLover
  • Like 2

Just now, PKMLover said:

Not much but I think it still matters. $130M+

Spring break at the start, then create momentum to go to Golden week, then can continue to create momentum to go on to Summer break,  Obon week.

Frozen 2 was too far away (6 weeks, more than one month) from its first holiday week although it is animated movie which was supposed to work well on holiday period

Maybe if frozen 3 takes place in  spring/summer or something related (fire power villain?) it could be released during spring break or summer. 

49 minutes ago, Mau said:

And bc spies in desguise/cats underperformed and Star wars and Jumanji did ok. Had at least two of those films overperformed worldwide frozen would have lost so many screens and momentum. 

Nah. Those didn’t really matter for Frozen at that point. Very small % effect

• Like 1

One thing that I have noticed:

Aren't Frozen and Frozen II now technically the highest grossing movies with no male lead characters / only female leads?

Because all movies that have grossed more than Frozen/Frozen II have either both male and female leads or only male leads.

I guess Kristoff could be counted as a lead character in Frozen, but he definitely played second fiddle to Elsa and Anna in the sequel, so it would still apply to Frozen II

Edited by Feanor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Feanor said:

One thing that I have noticed:

Aren't Frozen and Frozen II now technically the highest grossing movies with no male lead characters / only female leads?

Because all movies that have grossed more than Frozen/Frozen II have either both male and female leads or only male leads.

I guess Kristoff could be counted as a lead character in Frozen, but he definitely played second fiddle to Elsa and Anna in the sequel, so it would still apply to Frozen II

I would say Anna is the solo lead in Frozen as she has double the screen time of both Kristoff and Elsa.

In Frozen 2, Anna and Elsa has more or less equal screen time.

Isn't Rey kind of the main character in TFA though? You can make a case for Finn but overall he doesn't have as much importance to the plot.

• Like 3