sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Are you sure it doesn't ? @Shawn can you confirm if Doctor Sleep previews include Early Fandango Screening numbers. It would be bad if it is. Otherwise the preview numbes are exactly what I expected looking at ticket sales.

I mean it says "Thursday night debut". The Wrap also says thursday night previews and not total previews.

From DL

Lionsgate/AGC Studios’ Midway drew $925K at previews in 2,600 locations. As expected, pic’s Thursday night is being compared to 12 Strong which made $900K from 7PM showtimes and turned in an opening weekend of $15.8M.

Universal’s Last Christmas made $575K last night from 7PM shows in 2,700 theaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

That seems....really bad?

Kinda boggles my mind that they didnt open this before Halloween.

I never understood why they didn't just make October 30 the official opening day when they already had previews for that day. Definitely feels like WB dropped the ball here. I never felt much in the way of buzz for this.

• Like 1

I wonder if releasing another long Stephen King adaptation so soon after It 2 was a factor? It's a good film but I think it'd fared better had they kept it in its original release date. 

That being said, I think it'll have a good future life and I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Flanagan already has his next film lined up at WB.

Shocked by the Midway numbers. Didn’t expect them to be that high especially with reports in the tracking thread and how it was doing locally. But not shocked by Last Christmas numbers. It wasnt doing too hot at theaters around me. 

Edited by Nova

Just now, Jonwo said:

I wonder if releasing another long Stephen King adaptation so soon after It 2 was a factor? It's a good film but I think it'd fared better had they kept it in its original release date. 

That being said, I think it'll have a good future life and I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Flanagan already has his next film lined up at WB.

We certainly have been facing a glut of Stephen King adaptations recently. Not just IT but also Pet Sematary, In the Tall Grass on Netflix, and Castle Rock on Hulu.

Although FWIW The Shining was a movie that was mostly shrugged off when it was released (it was even nominated for a few Razzies) before being considered a classic later on so perhaps it's only natural the decades later sequel also underperforms in theaters.

This result really does put into perspective how massive the It movies were. I get why Pet Sematary and Dark Tower did poorly (they sucked), but this was a well-reviewed follow-up to one of the most iconic King books and horror films of all time, and it's looking to do less than Pet Sematary did. Yeah IT had nostalgia, but it's not like a lot of people didn't watch The Shining in their 20s and 30s in the 80s and 90s through VHS and stuff.

I guess Pennywise really struck a chord with people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

We certainly have been facing a glut of Stephen King adaptations recently. Not just IT but also Pet Sematary, In the Tall Grass on Netflix, and Castle Rock on Hulu.

Although FWIW The Shining was a movie that was mostly shrugged off when it was released (it was even nominated for a few Razzies) before being considered a classic later on so perhaps it's only natural the decades later sequel also underperforms in theaters.

It's basically Blade Runner 2049 all over again. Thankfully unlike that film, they've wisely not given it a huge budget. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Torrance said:

This result really does put into perspective how massive the It movies were. I get why Pet Sematary and Dark Tower did poorly (they sucked), but this was a well-reviewed follow-up to one of the most iconic King books and horror films of all time, and it's looking to do less than Pet Sematary did. Yeah IT had nostalgia, but it's not like a lot of people didn't watch The Shining in their 20s and 30s in the 80s and 90s through VHS and stuff.

It is the exception rather than the norm, after those, the most successful Stephen King adaptation is I believe the Green Mile.

3 minutes ago, Eric Torrance said:

Honestly the crowd that remembers when The Shining came out isn't into horror movies these days, and the movie's probably too long (at 2.5 hours) and appears too "old fashioned" for most of today's horror consumers (another problem that plagued Crimson Peak a few years ago). I suspect its real life will begin when it arrives for home viewing.

It's too bad November is looking to be somewhat of a bust overall unless any of Ford v Ferrari/A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood/Knives Out really overperform. Disney to the rescue once again, I guess.

• Sad 2