sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

5 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Don't be so sensitive/insecure. Of course you're still a movie buff. Better? 

I didn't say Flanagan was a crappy director. He made a tv show and a tv movie in Gerald's Game. He's not a bad director, but is he great? We know nobody can hold a candle to Kubrick, but the least they could've done is tried to lure an Ari Aster type, somebody with vision. 

Flanagan is competent. He's not the guy you want following up a classic. 

You just took back literally everything you said. And I think people who set the rules on what makes a film buff are the insecure ones.

First of all Mike Flanagan certainly shows his vision in his movies and TV show (he isn't a studio hire like you make him seem) and Aster would have been terrible for the material. Remember this is more an adaptation of Doctor Sleep than a sequel to The Shining. Hell, Aster wouldn't have been good if this was going to be just a sequel to The Shining and not an adaptation of anything. You aren't even giving the movie a chance because liking it probably will make you less of a film buff and you will like something made a TV director. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

That Sleep number though. Mother of all bombage. I hope Warner Bros fire their marketing dept. They have been abysmal off late. Joker did not succeed bcos of its marketing.

No.  Joker succeed because of the marketing dept.  In fact, WB top bosses didn't want to make R-rated Joker, but the marketing dept said that R-rated Joker could make big money, and the top bosses changed their mind.

I like Doctor Sleep, but the film itself  is unmarketable: people are getting tired of old franchises.

1 hour ago, AdamKendall said:

WB killed Doctor Sleep by not promoting it.  I saw little to no advertising on tv.  Between this and their being so slow to begin pushing awareness to big films coming out early next year like BOP and Godzilla vs. Kong is bewildering. 

I'm guessing Birds of Prey is starting late because of Shazam and Godzilla which underperformed because they started too early. On the other Joker's first trailer released 6 months before and Aquaman's was 5 months before. Also GvK is 100% getting pushed. The Scooby Doo movie is getting a trailer this week while GvK still doesn't have one. I have a hard time believing GvK is staying in its spot.

Completely botched the job this year with all their movies except for Joker though. I wonder why put no effort into marketing when you're probably spending the same amount.

Good OD for Midway. But its midpoint at both AMC/Cin was insanely early(like 1130AM !!!!). Also its the 1st time I have seen Cinemark finish ahead of AMC(77K to 67K). Other openers bombed and so its time to move on.

Joker increased around 140% at AMC and dropped around 29% from last week. Mal 2 increased like 155% and is just off 30% from last week. Great day for them and that is expected with epic bombage of sleep and last christmas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Marriage Story is very good. ScarJo has never been better. Driver is like shatteringly good. But the funniest bit was the audience gasping and clapping when Laura Dern first appears onscreen. When did she become THAT BITCH who makes people cheer when she appears onscreen? 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good OD for Midway. But its midpoint at both AMC/Cin was insanely early(like 1130AM !!!!). Also its the 1st time I have seen Cinemark finish ahead of AMC(77K to 67K). Other openers bombed and so its time to move on.

Joker increased around 140% at AMC and dropped around 29% from last week. Mal 2 increased like 155% and is just off 30% from last week. Great day for them and that is expected with epic bombage of sleep and last christmas.

At this rate, joker will have bigger gross than Gravity going into Thanksgiving weekend. 

• Like 1