sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

While I'm at it, Last Christmas had a pretty good ending (albeit predictable) that tied the rest of the movie together (plot-wise and theme-wise). Problem was the movie took a LONG time to get there, and meandered quite a bit in the meantime and it felt like not much was happening.

Dark Fate had a solid start, but once Hamilton shows up it drags to a halt. Rest of the movie is mindless action. Might have actually preferred Genysis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What bugged me about Midway was that the editing sorta killed it. And the fact that it tried to follow too many characters. Individual scenes were great, some of the most mature stuff Emmerich has ever done. But it jumps around through time periods and through different characters with editing that doesn't allow it to flow properly, and the entire movie fells jarring as a result so you do not get any emotional payoff for any of the characters by the time the actual battle begins.

While this issue is a pretty big one for me, the movie was solidly crafted otherwise. Individual scenes themselves are great, and the battle scenes are very intense, and most of the performers do a good job. However, the editing and attempts to follow too many characters are probably going to relegate this to Pear Harbor levels rather than elevate it to one of the great modern war movies. 

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

While I'm at it, Last Christmas had a pretty good ending (albeit predictable) that tied the rest of the movie together (plot-wise and theme-wise). Problem was the movie took a LONG time to get there, and meandered quite a bit in the meantime and it felt like not much was happening.

Dark Fate had a solid start, but once Hamilton shows up it drags to a halt. Rest of the movie is mindless action. Might have actually preferred Genysis. 

Cool Now give us your hot takes on Playing with Fire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

What bugged me about Midway was that the editing sorta killed it. And the fact that it tried to follow too many characters. Individual scenes were great, some of the most mature stuff Emmerich has ever done. But it jumps around through time periods and through different characters with editing that doesn't allow it to flow properly, and the entire movie fells jarring as a result so you do not get any emotional payoff for any of the characters by the time the actual battle begins.

While this issue is a pretty big one for me, the movie was solidly crafted otherwise. Individual scenes themselves are great, and the battle scenes are very intense, and most of the performers do a good job. However, the editing and attempts to follow too many characters are probably going to relegate this to Pear Harbor levels rather than elevate it to one of the great modern war movies. 

It also started to make points but did not follow up. Like

the US had badly defective torpedos for the first year and half of the war....50% chance of failure to detonate when it hit a ship. A one sentence reference, that shot of the US tropedo not exploding when it hit the Japanese ship ,no follow up.

And the Japanese Captian, watching slaughter of the US Torpedo Planes saying "Brave Men..Bad Planes'.

I am betting there were a couple of scenes shot but cut about the US Navy's Main Torpedo plane on the start of the war, The Devastor, being obsolete and a death trap.The Navy knew this before Pearl Harbor, and was rushing a replacement into production, but the first 6 months of the war the Navy was stuck with a terrible plane.

But still, it was a lot better in the accuracy department then Emmerich's previous historical films, and a few nice touches...having Admiral King say his famous "When things get tough they send for the Sons of Bitches" and showing John Ford shooting the battle of Midway,where he was badly wounded.

And Harrison was much better then I though he would be as Nimitz. The make up department made him look a lot like Nimitz.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Thinking a little under $850K today for Joker, its first day under $1M. 

What. A. Run.

Nah. I am thinking Joker Monday ahead of last monday. Just tad under 50% drop from Sunday. Mal 2 dropping only aboug 38% from sunday and more than 2x last monday !!!. I expect Joker to take the daily lead starting tomorrow.

• Like 4