sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Surprise Surprise. Midway is overperforming.

Sleep not so good. Last Christmas is catching up to sleep but still not great.

Jokah/Mal 2 holding good.

Will you be posting your friday predictions later, Keyser?

Edited by respmw

Box Office: ‘Midway’ Could Defeat ‘Doctor Sleep’ With $21 Million

Doctor Sleep” is heading for about $18 million at 3,855 locations, coming in well under expectations of $25 million to $30 million. Universal’s launch of romantic comedy “Last Christmas” is in line with forecasts at about $13 million from 3,448 screens, battling for third place with Paramount’s opening of family comedy “Playing With Fire” and its second weekend of “Terminator: Dark Fate.”

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-midway-doctor-sleep-last-christmas-1203398724/

Edited by Alli
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

Box Office: ‘Midway’ Could Defeat ‘Doctor Sleep’ With $21 Million

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-midway-doctor-sleep-last-christmas-1203398724/

The power of the $4 TMobile deals for smallish middling movies:)...

PS - Dr Sleep tried a last minute $5 off 2 Atom tickets yesterday...but that's obviously not as good as $4...

PPS - I feel good that I said the one movie I thought could hit its tracking was Midway (now, I am surprised it's going higher, but I guess subscribers are in for it, too:)...  

Okay last thought - John Cena's appearance on Thursday night football last night must have helped - it was definitely a feel good segment for him, and it must have helped draw some folks in for Playing With Fire...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Midway has been selling really well around me so I can't say I'm surprised it's looking to pull an upset. If the reviews were better (much better) it likely might've opened to $30M+ since there's clearly still an audience for an old-fashioned ensemble war movie.

• Like 1

‘Midway’ Surprise Attacks ‘Doctor Sleep’ At The B.O. With $19M+ Opening

2nd Update: Wow, this wasn’t expected Roland Emmerich’s Midway is overperforming apt to beat Warner Bros. Doctor Sleep, $19.2M to $17.2M. Good for Midway, really bad for Doctor Sleep which cost in the $50Ms. $7M today for Midway, and $6.6M for Doctor Sleep. How bad were Doctor Sleep previews last night? So bad they included cash from the Oct. 30 screening. Pity, because I think it’s a great movie. Others disagree saying it’s slow at 2 1/2 hours with few scares (I beg to differ, but, hey, I’m in the minority).

Universal’s Last Christmas is looking at $13M-$14.6M while Paramount’s Playing With Fire is in fourth with $12M after $3.5M today including $500K in previews. Paramount/Skydance Media/Fox’s Teriminator: Dark Fate drops to 5th place with $11.75M, -59% for a $49.4M 10-day.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2019/11/doctor-sleep-midway-last-christmas-opening-weekend-box-office-1202780077/

2nd Update: Wow, this wasn’t expected Roland Emmerich’s Midway is overperforming apt to beat Warner Bros. Doctor Sleep, $19.2M to $17.2M. Good for Midway, really bad for Doctor Sleep which cost in the $50Ms. $7M today for Midway, and $6.6M for Doctor Sleep. How bad were Doctor Sleep previews last night? So bad they included cash from the Oct. 30 screening. Pity, because I think it’s a great movie. Others disagree saying it’s slow at 2 1/2 hours with few scares (I beg to differ, but, hey, I’m in the minority).

Universal’s Last Christmas is looking at $13M-$14.6M while Paramount’s Playing With Fire is in fourth with $12M after $3.5M today including $500K in previews. Paramount/Skydance Media/Fox’s Teriminator: Dark Fate drops to 5th place with $11.75M, -59% for a $49.4M 10-day.

That 1.5 mil was including October 30 previews... WB did an absolutely terrible job marketing the film. International release also seems fucked. The movie got no marketing where I live and also has low number of screenings. The closest cinema that shows it a reasonable time is an hour away (so I won't be watching it). 

Edited by lorddemaxus

I think early November is just bad horror movie timing...there's been two months of horror build up to Halloween, then usually you have the horror of the elections, and folks start looking for a break for patriotism/unity or thankfulness (aka Vet's Day or Thanksgiving) before wanting Xmas...and that holiday brings horror to some folks, so they are willing to turn back to horror then (that's a joke, but not really:)...

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Wonder why DoctorSleep is under-performing. Hot genre, King's name, connection with Shining - should have done much better. 🙁

Uh, IT was the first film of a King novel to be a big hit in a very long time. For a while in the 90's people were making jokes about this week's flop based on a Stephan King novel. Looks as though if was the exception, not the norm.

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Wonder why DoctorSleep is under-performing. Hot genre, King's name, connection with Shining - should have done much better. 🙁

I think there just wasn't much interest in a sequel to The Shining tbh. That said, the fact it's looking at an opening quite a bit worse than the likes of Pet Sematary or Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is quite baffling.

• Like 1