Last Christmas (2019)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is basically Paul Feig entering Richard Curtis territory, and it's pleasant, if also very slight, in the same way Curtis movies are. Gotta say the twist towards the end fell flat for me (despite it being telegraphed halfway through the movie's trailer alone). But it's got plenty of holiday spirit to go around, there's a good sampling of George Michael's music, and the cast is instantly likable (it's obvious between Me Before You and now this that Emilia Clarke is better suited to lighter fare than Daenerys-esque action roles while Henry Golding continues to solidify himself as a charming leading man). This is unlikely to become a Christmas classic and it's a slight disappointment after the strong run Feig was on from Bridesmaids to A Simple Favor, but as far as throwaway holiday diversions go, you could do much worse than this. B-

It's decent, Emilia Clarke is charming as Kate although it's take time to warm to her as she's a bit of a mess and a jerk at the beginning and Henry Golding is also good as Tom. 

I do wonder if the Brexit references are going to date the film as that was something I get why it was included but seemed a bit out of place in a movie like this. 

Edited by Jonwo

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's decent, Emilia Clarke is charming as Kate although it's take time to warm to her as she's a bit of a mess and a jerk at the beginning and Henry Golding is also good as Tom. 

I do wonder if the Brexit references are going to date the film as that was something I get why it was included, seemed a bit out of place in a movie like this. 

Honestly the 2017 setting just felt like an easy way for them to reference Brexit as well as including that scene where the immigrant couple was harassed by that racist dude on the bus, not just to get some mileage out of Michael's discography given that he had passed on the previous Christmas. The attempts at social commentary here felt rather half-assed and wouldn't have been missed had it been left on the cutting room floor.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1