TMP

Licorice Pizza | Paul Thomas Anderson | United Artists Releasing | November 26 (limited), December 25 (wide) | Bradley Cooper, Benny Safdie, Cooper Hoffman

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

WOM might not be a thing, but reviews for this kind of film still are.

THis film will be a top award contender;with Nightmare Alley getting a likewarm critical reception. Maybe this will be PTA's Oscar film, he is long overdue..which will count in his favor with Academy Voters. Lots of actors and directors get Oscars not so much for what they won for but because they had been overlooked in the past, and voters  felt their time had come. 

Yeah I'm sure it'll be a big contender. It's the best reviewed English language film of the year and as you mentioned, PTA is overdue and this is as emotional/accessible/crowdpleasing as he gets while still maintaining his artistic identity. 

Maybe they'll give him a consolation Screenplay award like they do the cool movies while West Side Story and Belfast duke it out in Picture. Feels like Belfast is fading which I expected so hopefully Licorice Pizza can swoop in over it

With 2000 theaters on Christmas, hopefully it has at least a 1-1.5m opening day

Pretty sure this year we're going to see a pretty big divergence between critics and voters. 

So don't expect reviews to necessarily be a good bellwether, not with grumpy critics mixed on movies like Nightmare Alley, Being the Ricardos, and Don't Look Up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Pretty sure this year we're going to see a pretty big divergence between critics and voters. 

So don't expect reviews to necessarily be a good bellwether, not with grumpy critics mixed on movies like Nightmare Alley, Being the Ricardos, and Don't Look Up. 

I doubt Nightmare Alley is gonna be liked by audiences. If even critics found it boring, audiences definitely will. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dudalb said:

WOM might not be a thing, but reviews for this kind of film still are.

THis film will be a top award contender;with Nightmare Alley getting a likewarm critical reception. Maybe this will be PTA's Oscar film, he is long overdue..which will count in his favor with Academy Voters. Lots of actors and directors get Oscars not so much for what they won for but because they had been overlooked in the past, and voters  felt their time had come. 

The only reason that stopping LP from wining best pic is the movie seem socially irrelevant from the trailers. The scale is simply too small to win. Academy has been voting in favour of a more socially relevant film than a straight and small critically acclaimed fare. Look at Nomadland, Parasite, Moonlight, Spotlight, 12 years a slave etc. 

From the trailers, the movie feel like a Lady bird 2.0. I think the best chance for PTA to win Oscar for himself was there will be blood.     

The thing with the Oscars this year is that there is no clear front runner... at all.

Honestly, I could see it going to Belfast, LP, WSS, Power of the Dog... am I missing something? Maybe even King Richard if it gets some acting wins.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

The only reason that stopping LP from wining best pic is the movie seem socially irrelevant from the trailers. The scale is simply too small to win. Academy has been voting in favour of a more socially relevant film than a straight and small critically acclaimed fare. Look at Nomadland, Parasite, Moonlight, Spotlight, 12 years a slave etc. 

From the trailers, the movie feel like a Lady bird 2.0. I think the best chance for PTA to win Oscar for himself was there will be blood.     

It would be a Birdman or Artist type win. Or No Country/Departed

16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I doubt Nightmare Alley is gonna be liked by audiences. If even critics found it boring, audiences definitely will. 

Lots of comparasions with the 1948 film...and not to the 2021's film advantage.

I think it would have been a hard sell even if it had been a better movie, since it extreme cynicism and dark view of humanity in general have never been crowd pleasers. Molly,,,played by Rooney Mara in current version...is the only halfway decent person in the whole film.

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The thing with the Oscars this year is that there is no clear front runner... at all.

Honestly, I could see it going to Belfast, LP, WSS, Power of the Dog... am I missing something? Maybe even King Richard if it gets some acting wins.

And looks as if Benedict CUmbernatch and Kirsten Dunst are almost certaint to get actor/actress nominations for Power Of the Dog.

Nice comeback for Dunst who has been sort of in the background for a number of years.

Edited by dudalb

Also, I could never PSH out of my head everytime I looked at Cooper Hoffman here. Every single mannerism of his (espescially the hands on the hips lol) just reminded me of him. Haim is totally the MVP here (even would call her the main character of the movie), but Hoffman's performance just made me feel something different.

Also cast members who got a round of applause at the screening when their name appeared in the credits (I've seen applause when a movie ends before but only other time I've seen it happen during the cast names was for Endgame lol) : Cooper Hoffman, Alana Haim, Bradley Cooper, Tom Waits, the Haim parents, and Benny Safidie.

Really cool cameo from a PTA usual here too that got an applause when they appeared on screen.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Christmas expansion reduced:

Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Licorice Pizza,” previously projected to expand on Christmas Day to around 2,000 theaters, will now open at fewer than half. United Artists informed hundreds of theaters this week, including many independents, that availability would be delayed.

Why the last-minute switch? UA president of distribution Erik Lomis is away from his office on a family matter and was unavailable for comment, but precedent for both this director’s films and other top awards contenders suggests this move represents faith in the film.

In the past decade, leading awards contenders that platformed on or around Thanksgiving usually expanded over Christmas — but nothing like 2,000 dates. Films like “The Favourite,” “The Darkest Hour,” “The Shape of Water,” “La La Land,” “Imitation Game,” and “Silver Linings Playbook” played between 734 and 943 theaters Christmas week, then expanded later. That’s the revised range for “Pizza.”

I thought 2,000 theaters seemed like a lot, but it would be different if it they'd never announced that to begin with. Now a cutback seems like they know it will flop with the original plan.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl