sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

CA prod budget and P&A

Sony claims the budget is $48M net, we’ve heard in the mid $50Ms. 

I heard that a $100M global P&A was first planned on Charlie’s Angels with the studio now reducing that overall cost greatly to around $50M and pulling back on expensive ads. 

https://deadline.com/2019/11/charlies-angels-bombs-at-box-office-reasons-why-1202787938/

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alli said:

lol  I'm telling you, the general audience doesn't like KStewart's acting. She turns people off. Even her indie movies are flops.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This failure goes beyond KStew but alright then.

This flop goes beyond Stewart BUT as has been alluded in this thread, there was nothing carrying this film in terms of leads. I haven’t had a chance to look and with BOM changing things up, I do wonder how the rest of Stewart’s films have done outside of Twilight. They’re mostly indies for the most part so it’s hard to gauge their box office but god damn if that opening for CA isn’t down right embarrassing and makes you wonder if Stewart was the correct choice to front a potential franchise reboot. 

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

NO.

Tomb Rider is the same situation.   First movie a success, second flopped way bigger than the second Charlie's Angels.  And yet the reboot with Alicia Vikander managed 23M OW. Face it, this Charlie's Angels is a mega bomb and KStewart is anti charisma. This flop is on her.

Whatever helps you sleep, I guess.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Bale is one of the most versatile actors I've seen. Not surprising at all. He's been so damn good in so many movies. 

One of the best working. I'd say him, Phoenix & DiCaprio are the best of that generation

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

NO.

Tomb Rider is the same situation.   First movie a success, second flopped way bigger than the second Charlie's Angels.  And yet the reboot with Alicia Vikander managed 23M OW. Face it, this Charlie's Angels is a mega bomb and KStewart is anti charisma. This flop is on her.

:thinking: 

It's fascinating that when one doesn't like an actor when a film bombs it's all their fault.  While when loves an actor their film bombing is the fault of everyone else.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

we have the further breakdown of cinema IP in Sony’s Charlie’s Angels reboot which is tanking with a God-awful $8.2M opening

https://deadline.com/2019/11/charlies-angels-bombs-at-box-office-reasons-why-1202787938/

this exactly explain why it couldn't even have cinemascore.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Since KStew is the only prominent name in the cast, part of the blame is with her casting. Someone thought she would attract audience in this role. That didn't happen. Someone thought Jennifer Lopez would attract audience in a stripper role. That was on the money. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I just don't understand why they thought KStew would be a draw in a kiss-ass role. Everyone on this forum could tell them she wouldn't be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking: 

It's fascinating that when one doesn't like an actor when a film bombs it's all their fault.  While when loves an actor their film bombing is the fault of everyone else.

I’ll have you know Ansel Elgort is a bonafide movie star and you’re just jealous! 

• Haha 5

Recent low opening shockers with notable actors/actresses

ow * multi = dom

5.5 * 2.2 = 12.2 The Kitchen

7.5 * 2.4 = 17.8 mother!

9.0 * 2.3 = 20.5 The Circle

2.2-2.4x with 8-8.5 ow gives CA 17.5-20.5 dom

Frozen2 is around the corner followed by 3rd weekend screen loss so I would bank on the lower-end of that range.

Edit:  Also 2.7 * 2.0 = 5.3 Goldfinch in it's own league

Edited by a2k

Just now, Eric Plus said:

Ewwwwwwww

Look, I can't stand American Hustle but it was still a big hit. Ditto Silver Linings. If nothing else it won't lose an assload of money like Vice did lol

I'm surprised Russel is still given such big projects though, sounds like a real asshole. Especially with how he treated Tomlin and Amy Adams, and those allegations from his niece. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

Since KStew is the only prominent name in the cast, part of the blame is with her casting. Someone thought she would attract audience in this role. That didn't happen. Someone thought Jennifer Lopez would attract audience in a stripper role. That was on the money. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I just don't understand why they thought KStew would be a draw in a kiss-ass role. Everyone on this forum could tell them she wouldn't be. 

But the flop doesn’t just fall on Stewart. And we don’t know for sure had they gotten bigger names what the end result would have been. Yes her name didn’t help the film but there are so many other factors that led to the movie bombing. Stewart is at the bottom of the list. That’s the point. The movie was poorly marketed. Didn’t sell its strengths. The trailers were weak. So on. 

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

Face it, this Charlie's Angels is a mega bomb and KStewart is anti charisma. This flop is on her.

Did she slap you in person or something? Lol. 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Stop reboot stuff or franchise, try some new original standalone film. 

Luckily here comes Frozen 2, Jumanji 3!and Star Wars 12 to save the box office. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

But the flop doesn’t just fall on Stewart. And we don’t know for sure had they gotten bigger names what the end result would have been. Yes her name didn’t help the film but there are so many other factors that led to the movie bombing. Stewart is at the bottom of the list. That’s the point. The movie was poorly marketed. Didn’t sell its strengths. The trailers were weak. So on. 

No, not on KStew. The main blame is with the franchise revival despite no demand. That's the basis of all trouble. The rest is just a pile on including casting director picking the wrong big name in order to create hype. People say actor is to blame but actors don't cast themselves. 

IMO, this is like Solo. There was no demand for that movie and that was the main problem, which Disney doesn't want to admit. So we get BS excuse such as fatigue. But the main thing is that people simply didn't care about seeing a Han Solo movie. Picking an actor who is the polar opposite of Ford was just an icing on a shitcake as were all other backstage problems. It all really begins and ends with lack of demand.