sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

I do feel like Ford vs Ferrari 10 years ago makes double WW what it will today. There is a notable shift in box office. Production budgets need to be tightened considerably. Look at downtown Abbey. Small budget, and due to that a good success.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

i'm not into horror either, but I feel The Shining is the most mainstream of the old horror movies....the movie everyone knows about. but maybe it's just my perception

I’m in the same boat 

Bale had already established himself as a very good actor long before playing Batman (American Psycho, anyone?) so it's hardly a surprise he's had a terrific post-comic book movie career. It'll be surprising if he doesn't win a second Oscar someday (a Lead one most likely).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Downey Jr is another notable exception. Paul Bettanys career was revived via MCU (love him btw super underrated). Chris Evans will do fine as well 

Like Bale, Downey Jr had a career before MCU revived it. But he was an Oscar nominee so legit talent that fell by the wayside career-wise. I don't think that Evans, Pratt, Hemsworth, Rudd etc are up there. They will be fine but they are not top tier for they are old enough and nothing they did points at being that level. However, RDJ doesn't want to do stuff that's his level of talent anymore. I understand why (doesn't want to risk slipping into his old habit). 

Ruffalo and Johansson also had careers before Marvel and continued to have them during their Marvel stint. They are up there too.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Can't wait for the excuses for why Charlie Angel's bombed so bad, I'm sure to blame streaming will be the popular one

Yeah, that's because it's obvious that streamings hasn't hurt moviegoing experience, especially this year where we had several hits outside of the big IP franchises. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

DiCaprio has a ton of range as well. Phoenix I like a lot but I don't put him up to that level. I feel like he has that potential obviously and executes on it just not as frequently. All 3 are great.

It's all highly subjective. 

Another matter is that as Hollywood "It boy" since nineties DiCaprio has constant access to best material and directors in the town.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

bad marketing for Ghostbusters is surely the reason why every movie with McKinnon flopped. :sarcasm: People simply won't admit that some actors are turn offs. And yes, there was no demand for CA or GB so that's the root of the problem but some actors don't help the matter. Didn't polling show that Fassbender was a legit put-off? Some actors just are. Also, just because an actor and actress play superheroes, it doesn't mean public wants to see them in everything including reboot of a dead franchise (Hemsworth and Thompson). I don't think either is a turn-off just a shrug type. 

Not sure why this response or an attempted sarcasm was to me? I was just stating things about marketing I have no interest in conversation about some actors being 'turn offs' because I don't think is something you can state, things are just weird. Hemsworth is so likable and everything he is in flops. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Like Bale, Downey Jr had a career before MCU revived it. But he was an Oscar nominee so legit talent that fell by the wayside career-wise. I don't think that Evans, Pratt, Hemsworth, Rudd etc are up there. They will be fine but they are not top tier for they are old enough and nothing they did points at being that level. 

Ruffalo and Johansson also had careers before Marvel and continued to have them during their Marvel stint. They are up there too.

Evans isn't up there but he is damn good. His portrayal of CA is better than anyone else except Iron Man. It's like RDJ, Evans then a big chasm.

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

DiCaprio has a ton of range as well. Phoenix I like a lot but I don't put him up to that level. I feel like he has that potential obviously and executes on it just not as frequently. All 3 are great.

This is blasphemy. Can you see dicaprio doing the joker performance? his acting stretching is The revenant....boooooring

Joaquin>>>>Di Caprio without question

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, harlequinade said:

Not sure why this response or an attempted sarcasm was to me? I was just stating things about marketing I have no interest in conversation about some actors being 'turn offs' because I don't think is something you can state, things are just weird. Hemsworth is so likable and everything he is in flops. 

No sarcasm at you. Sorry if it came of that way, it was just general sarcasm for we have actors and actresses with a series of flops and yet it's taboo to say they are part of the problem (even if they are not the main problem). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

It's all highly subjective. 

Another matter is that as Hollywood "It boy" since nineties DiCaprio has constant access to best material and directors in the town.

One would suggest he has access to the best material and director because he is so damn committed. 

I like bale above both by a lot. Watch Equilibrium with anyone else. Movie probably sucks.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Evans isn't up there but he is damn good. His portrayal of CA is better than anyone else except Iron Man. It's like RDJ, Evans then a big chasm.

Yes that's what I'm saying. Some actors are really great in their respective SH roles but not that great outside of them.  They are not bad, just not as good as in that one particular role. 

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

This is blasphemy. Can you see dicaprio doing the joker performance? his acting stretching is The revenant....boooooring

Joaquin>>>>Di Caprio without question

DiCaprio was better in the revenant imo. Bale is better than both.

6 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Mother! OW was not shocking lmao. That movie is a total love or hate. I loved it imo. 

doesn't matter much in ow with popular cast/crew if marketing's good.

was tracking for 11 (like CA's 12-13). Opened to 7.5, 31% below an already lowly tracking.

Paramount also has the Darren Aronofsky genre twister mother! starring Jennifer Lawrence in 2,368 theaters today... Tracking has the film opening around $11M.