sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

Sunday drop for Ford v Ferrari looks a little on the high side compared to other movies in the top 10. So it's final number should go up tomorrow. 

Why does it seem like Disney is such a big fan of underestimating their Sunday estimates?

4 hours ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

How much money is Sony going to lose on this? It has to be at least 50m

Apparently on a deadline article this was heavily co-financed by at least 2 other major partners and they slashed down the planned 100M P&A

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Anyone know how Knives Out is tracking? 

Knives Out has two early access nights this coming weekend on Friday and Saturday, and then it opens normally on the following Wednesday with Tuesday night previews. Good luck to anybody trying to decipher any sort of numbers out of that jumbled mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Apparently on a deadline article this was heavily co-financed by at least 2 other major partners and they slashed down the planned 100M P&A

People were giving WB slack in articles for co-financing Joker as it means a reduced share of profits but isn't it basically standard practice for most studios to co-finance. Even a surefire bet like Downton Abbey was co-financed by Perfect World and that cost $15-20m. 

• Like 2

I haven't seen Charlie's Angels -- and maybe that's the problem.  I'm 100% the target demo: female, Millennial, fondly remembers the 2000s version, super gay.  I really should be all over this film.  I probably will drag myself to it out of some form of solidity for Elizabeth Banks.  I hope that the trailers are wrong and it's a good movie.

But the trailers looked more like the pilot of a new series than a movie, and not all the jokes landed.  The fun thing with the 2000s version is how GOOFY it is.  It's always ahead of the audience and in on the joke.  I don't get any of that from the trailers.  I think the marketing really tanked this one.  It didn't help the song was a flop compared to Independent Woman Part I either.

I think better leads would've helped.  One of the trailers starts out with a Janelle Monae song -- and I spent the rest of the time wishing she was in the movie.  

I don't know who posted this, but I saw something about "taking it back for the female audience" -- the original was produced by Drew Barrymore who had a huge say in the film.  I remember it getting "negative" press because she made the decision to not have the Angels uses guns, and that messed up the iconic pose.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Warner Bros will be having second thoughts about The Six Billion Dollar Man which like CA and Shaft is a 70s TV show adaptation. 

TV show adaptations have been fizzling for a while now (see also: The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Baywatch). Mission: Impossible is lucky that it's been around for so long as a movie franchise that no one sees it as an adaptation of a TV show anymore, while the Jump Street movies earlier this decade were completely different from the show and stood on their own as Hill/Tatum buddy comedies.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How is it that everyone knows that movies like Charlie’s Angels and Dark Fate wpuld bomb except the people that made them? 

Many similar situations happened in China. I heard some executives from local studios could get rewards as long as a project have greenlight. I guess that's why so many bad movies come out even though they know they would lose money. 

• Like 1