sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

Last Christmas

Universal’s holiday comedy romance added 11 markets this session for $8.6M from 21 so far. The like-for-like debuts are 11% above Me Before You and 25% ahead of Yesterday. The international cume is $13M to date for $35.5M global. The UK naturally led play with a $3.4M No. 1 start. This was director Paul Feig’s second best Friday bow, fractionally behind Bridesmaids. The Emilia Clarke-starrer also outpaced Ford V Ferrari which was a new opener. In the UK, Last Christmas is tracking in line with The Fault In Our Stars and ahead of other comps.

Germany was a No. 2 bow with $1.58M on par with TFIOS, Yesterday and The Intern. Australia was the top hold with $3.2M to date and a solid 25% drop in weekend 3. There is plenty of overseas play to come with France, Brazil, Spain, Russia, Korea, Mexico, Japan and Italy counterprogramming through late December.

Source: Deadline

Edited by respmw
  • Thanks 1

Last Christmas should have easily been an Hit domestic but with  mediocre reviews and not so good word-of-mouth really messed it up. Still don't understand how you can have Emma Thompson writing the screenplay and Paul feig directing and still make a mess of a film.

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Last Christmas has a prod budget of 25-30 and it's gonna be very profitable with a leggy run.

US/Can is not it's home market and could do 40 there.

UK debut was 3.25-3.3 usd if I am not wrong @Krissykins. Grinch has nearly 6x multi last year and Last Christmas could do 20 UK am guessing.

Couple of musical friendly markets could break-out big. Wonder if 200 ww is feasible. (edit: 150 ww maybe, if 200 is too optimistic)

It'd be a success if it did the same total as Yesterday, another Universal backed British romcom which was $151m  although that did have a higher domestic OW and total. 

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope LC legs it out everywhere and become profitable, Emilia deserves at least a mini-hit after one two punch of Solo bomb and GOT assassinating her character. 

Emilia Clarke was one of the best things about Solo. She almost made Alden Ehrenreich seem interesting. Almost.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

Last Christmas should have easily been an Hit domestic but with  mediocre reviews and not so good word-of-mouth really messed it up. Still don't understand how you can have Emma Thompson writing the screenplay and Paul feig directing and still make a mess of a film.

Well, from what I heard she wrote rather shit script. 

4 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

Yikes at that CA number.  I wonder how a reboot with the original cast would have done?  I have a stupid amount of nostalgia for those movies. They were in on the joke and had fun with it, and I really enjoyed that.  As much as I liked those and in general like Elizabeth Banks, the new movie looked terrible.  Like they forgot that this whole thing is ridiculous, fantasy fun.  

Well, given that the most famous member of the original cast is no longer with us.....

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I hope LC legs it out everywhere and become profitable, Emilia deserves at least a mini-hit after one two punch of Solo bomb and GOT assassinating her character. 

Didn't know an Emmy nomination and record ratings counted as a "punch". :monopoly:

Interesting article about Warner Bros' mid budget misfortunes:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/warner-bros-flops-doctor-sleep-goldfinch-1203400046/

TBH I don't think this year's misfires will stop WB green lighting mid budget films, they will either be more prudent with the number of them and their budgets or anything they're not too confident will quietly moved to HBO Max. I would probably say the 2019 flops that stung the most for them due to both having good reviews were Doctor Sleep and The Lego Movie 2. 

I will be interested to see how Richard Jewell fares, it's premiering next week at AFI so we'll get an idea if it's good or not. 

Edited by Jonwo

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think Ford is looking at high 20's % drop. So it should go up from estimates.

Nice. 

I wonder if Ford v Ferrari can have a drop good enough next week to where it can still get $20m in its 2nd weekend. It would need to a drop of a little less than 40%. Possible, right? That would be fantastic for it, as the week after will be a minimal Thanksgiving drop

Edited by Pinacolada