sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

https://deadline.com/2019/11/ford-v-ferrari-charlies-angels-weekend-box-office-1202787070/

2nd Update, Friday Midday: Early midday estimates, and these could change.  As expected, 20th Century Fox’s Ford v Ferrari is off to a smooth start with $10M today (including last night’s $2.1M) and an anticipated $28M opening. It would be great to see if the non-frequent moviegoers come out. Expect this $96M production to be great counter-programming for guys in a Frozen 2 Thanksgiving marketplace.

As expected, Charlie’s Angels is tanking big time with an estimated $4M today (including $900K from last night) and a $10.5M opening, which is below what Sony was seeing at $12M-$14M. The pic reportedly cost $48M with co-financing from Perfect World and 2.0 Entertainment; we’ve heard more in the mid $50Ms.

Below Charlie, it’s a dog of a weekend with Lionsgate/AGC Studio’s Midway at $8M, -55% for a 10-day of $34.4M.

Warner Bros.’ Doctor Sleep in weekend 2 is seeing $6.25M -56% for a 10-day of $25M.

Universal’s Last Christmas also in weekend 2 is eyeing $6.2M, -46%, for a 10-day of $22.1M.

Paramount’s Playing With Fire in weekend 2 looking at $1.4M today, $5.2M down 59% for a 10-day of $22.1M

New Line’s The Good Liarco-financed by Bron Studios which has a 25% stake in the $10M, is also not working with $1.2M today and $3.8M for the weekend. This film’s audience won’t come out after 8PM, so expected matinees tomorrow and Sunday to be primetimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Oof, The Good Liar. Don’t see much point putting  a lot of stock in Deadline holdover Friday noon nums.     

@keysersoze123, how would you say FvF true Friday is looking?

Looks good. Its ticket sales have doubled since yesterday night by noon time. If it can persist the momentum it will finish ahead of Dark Fate. We have to wait and watch. I would prefer to wait until evening before making a call.

$28m is ok for FVF, but considering the star power, reviews and $100m budget, it had a ways to go and needs to perform overseas. 

Solid for Last Christmas but it started too low and released too early. 

Really bad for Charlie’s Angels, a shame. 

Dreadful for Good Liar. 

And bad for the rest of last weekends openers. 

• Like 1

Ford V. Ferrari needs holding power not a blockbuster debut. Fox needs something to do well this year.

Charlie’s Angels looked fun. But the reboot from the 2000’s had a more attractive lead cast, and was more marketed as an action comedy(similar to 21/22 Jump Street). 

Holdovers just look dead. I’m back to follow the weekend box office. I’ve stopped following Box Office Mojo, The Numbers are better now in my opinion.

I”ll do a few more postings and then take another break I guess. Frozen II’s weekend needs to come sooner, this box office needs some resurrection. 

There's a realistic chance of CA's total dom ending up below FVF's ow.

CA needs a WWW thread. It's just the 3rd movie of a successful franchise and not messed around as much as say Terminator. Prod budget is very reasonable. The stars were likeable (imo) and Scott had a big breakout in Aladdin.

CA should have at least matched Tomb Raider's boxoffice from last year. Wasn't tough at 23.63 ow followed by very average 2.47x legs for 58.25 dom.

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$28m is ok for FVF, but considering the star power, reviews and $100m budget, it had a ways to go and needs to perform overseas. 

Solid for Last Christmas but it started too low and released too early. 

Really bad for Charlie’s Angels, a shame. 

Dreadful for Good Liar. 

And bad for the rest of last weekends openers. 

Fvf will have awesome legs and it will do good internationally. Mild profit. Charlie's angel had a reasonable budget yet still will lose money. I mean we're looking at what 25-28m domestic total?

Ouch at those Charlie’s Angels numbers. But I really just don’t get it? People online complain that there aren’t enough action movies starring females and yet when a female fronts an action film people let it flop. And before anyone says anything about quality....CA has decent enough reviews so it’s not like it’s getting panned. Which shouldn’t even matter considering male led action films that have bad reviews have been successful in the past.  The only real exception to this was Atomic Blonde and years ago Lucy but damn that’s 2 out of dozens. 

I’m guessing in this situation the marketing failed the film but damn it’s just been disheartening to see female action film after another just flop at the box office :( 

Edited by Nova
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Ouch at those Charlie’s Angels numbers. But I really just don’t get it? People online complain that there aren’t enough action movies starring females and yet when a female fronts an action film people let it flop. And before anyone says anything about quality....CA has decent enough reviews so it’s not like it’s getting panned. Which shouldn’t even matter considering male led action films that have bad reviews have been successful in the past.  The only real exception to this was Atomic Blonde and years ago Lucy but damn that’s 2 out of dozens. 

I’m guessing in this situation the marketing failed the film but damn it’s just been disheartening to see female action film after another just flop at the box office :( 

Reviews aren't even bad. Way too soon for a remake and it seems like a lock it won't be better than CA1. I still can't wait to see it....on streaming. 

I see so few movies that aren't kids films. Like 90% kids movies :(

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nova said:

Ouch at those Charlie’s Angels numbers. But I really just don’t get it? People online complain that there aren’t enough action movies starring females and yet when a female fronts an action film people let it flop. And before anyone says anything about quality....CA has decent enough reviews so it’s not like it’s getting panned. Which shouldn’t even matter considering male led action films that have bad reviews have been successful in the past. 

Should i state the obvious...why Charlie failed? everyone is thinking it...

Most people think KStewart acting sucks. This flop is on her. Even Tomb Rider with unknown Alicia Vikander opened with 23M. People simply dislike KStewart as an actress, especially when she's supposed to play a charismatic lead.

Critics try to prop her up, but people aren't buying it

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

the reviews surprised me for sure. if there's a fun movie in there the trailers have done an excellent job of hiding it.