sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

Is that Sunday drop because of bigger than normal increases or because of some media reports that Trump liked the movie? (I know it's nonsense, but people can't be that stupid, can they?) Motherless Brooklyn has similar increase and decrease, but much lower weekend number for comparison.

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Is that Sunday drop because of bigger than normal increases or because of some media reports that Trump liked the movie? (I know it's nonsense, but people can't be that stupid, can they?) Motherless Brooklyn has similar increase and decrease, but much lower weekend number for comparison.

the sat bump of 69% was much bigger than last 3 sat bumps - 49%, 57%, 56%

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Bigger saturday bump than usual led to bigger sunday drop.

Joker up 69% on saturday, which is quite abnormal as the film compared to its past saturday jump

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I think Banks is getting too much Backlash for her comments. I mean the context of it was not defending the bad box office. From the date of the interview, it seems that she said this as a response to Why The Movie was Made.

Actually I would like to know why this movie was made - why couldn't they come up with a new action movie featuring women instead of relying on the same stale TV show /movies?   I think many people are too young to realize that Charlie's Angels was a hit on TV strictly because of the beauty of the actresses & plenty of T&A - it's just a fact.  And those movies were horrible - so far-fetched I was never able to enjoy them.  Nobody asked for this movie so she should be asking herself why she was so clueless as to what the public actually wants to watch.  

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Of the 17 movies they've put out this year, 7 of them have or will finish with totals of less than $25M (and 3 of them with totals in the single digits). Pretty rough.

They'll write 2019 off as a dud year and focus on 2020 since they have someone new in charge. The slate for 2020 has a lot more promise although more tentpole heavy. 

1 hour ago, Catty said:

know why this movie was made - why couldn't they come up with a new action movie featuring women instead of relying on the same stale TV show /movies?

When this happen:

1200x630bb.jpg

962.2 million USD

The studio will greenlight and shoot every remake that was on the block, from MIB to Bad Boys.

It is not like very old and we would have sayed stale if the execution failed didn't work big time recently, It, Halloween, Jurassic Park, Joker, etc... the execution is a lot to blame here.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nova said:

The fact that Banks can look at an $8M OW domestically and come to the conclusion that men are the reason why it flopped is wild.

Are people serious with this ?

Do people believe she ever said that ? When she would have done said interviews ?

1 minute ago, Jedi Jat said:

It's not really too hard to believe.

Yes it is extremely hard to believe has the interview were made and released before the movie was even in theater, one really need to wrap is brain to achieve to believe that she blamed the movie 8 million opening (that didn't happenned at the time) on anything. It require a brain that will easily fall for fakenews.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

interview

what I meant, that it's not too hard to believe that she would make such comment, or it is a big deal if she made, since 8mn number is out since Friday.

I didn't checked interview, or what time was it done or whether it was an interview, what I saw was a comment which isn't much a big deal. Afterall her film opened to WHOPPING 8mn.

Also, people do/scheduled interviews post film releases, again no big deal.

26 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

FvF 8mn (+240k)

PwF 2.43mn (-200k)

MW 2.33mn (-230k)

CA 1.95mn (-240k)

Lc 1.66mn (-200k)

DS 1.62mn (-150k)

Tgl 1.57mn (-86k)

M2 1.45mn (-290k)

Harriet 1.25mn (-180k)

Vs studio number for Sun in parens. Note that this won’t exactly reflect est vs actual since Fri and Sat also change slightly.   

Looks like a kind of brutal Sunday.

Edited by Thanos Legion

9 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

I didn't checked interview, or what time was it done or whether it was an interview, what I saw was a comment which isn't much a big deal. Afterall her film opened to WHOPPING 8mn

And for that you need to believe some random twitter account with a very strange claim, that a movie clearly targetting women audience hard and didn't count on men to work that fail could have been because of men, very suspiciously without a link to the source, from a filmmaker that had giant success without men's with Pitch Perfect (72% female audience OW).

It is extraordinary enough, from a suspicious enough source to take 10 second look at the interview's (see that they are behind paywall, and why the troll are using them)