sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

To be fair, from at least the trailers, Kristen Stewart looks like she's having way more fun in this than she's ever done in other roles. Like, she's actually got some emotion to her (and yea I get that you can chalk it up to the characters she's played in the past) but I've never seen her "have fun" before. 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Naomi Scott was one of the leads of Aladdin and Elizabeth Banks isn't an unknown either.

I know who Banks is obviously.  But big deal that Scott was the lead in Aladdin.  I don't think that gives her name recognition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It's odd that Charlie's Angels has flopped but Ocean's 8 which was a spin-off of the Ocean's Trilogy was fairly successful. 

Not strange at all.  That film was loaded with name actresses.  

• Like 4

The Cinemascore for Ford v. Ferrari is going to be very high as it is a crowd pleaser of maximum order. I will be very surprised if it is not at least A and an A+ would not be a surprise at all. This film is going to have some tremendous legs over the next few weeks.

• Like 2

An adult non action movie opening with 28-30 million is a solid opening but only solid because of the big 100mil budget. It's going to need legs and decent international numbers. Charlie's Angels is flop city.

Charlie's Angels could never get any buzz for that trio, they just didn't look interesting together enough for audiences. It was never going to open with the 40mil the original did but for them to not be able to open up the Charlie's Angels movie with 20-25million is an embarrassment for Sony. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

An adult non action movie opening with 28-30 million is a solid opening but only solid because of the big 100mil budget. It's going to need legs and decent international numbers. Charlie's Angels is flop city.

Charlie's Angels could never get any buzz for that trio, they just didn't look interesting together enough for audiences. It was never going to open with the 40mil the original did but for them to not be able to open up the Charlie's Angels movie with 20-25million is an embarrassment for Sony. 

And adjusted, OG CA opened way bigger than 40m.

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

The Cinemascore for Ford v. Ferrari is going to be very high as it is a crowd pleaser of maximum order. I will be very surprised if it is not at least A and an A+ would not be a surprise at all. This film is going to have some tremendous legs over the next few weeks.

My crowd ate this shit up.  Wasn't even a packed theater and there was tons of audible laughter

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

To be fair, from at least the trailers, Kristen Stewart looks like she's having way more fun in this than she's ever done in other roles. Like, she's actually got some emotion to her (and yea I get that you can chalk it up to the characters she's played in the past) but I've never seen her "have fun" before. 

but no one wants to see kristen stewart have fun. if you go see a kristen stewart movie, you go to watch her glare at people and look miserable and be sarcastic. no one wants to watch pamela anderson play a serious academic. 

Charlie’s angels (2000) also came out during the time of Austin Powers so people were into spy comedies but I don’t think it’s a beloved property with a dedicated fanbase. The marketing seemed confused from the beginning about what it was trying to sell- silly comedy or serious action. They should have gone with one or the other. Also they should have cast more well known leads if they didn’t want to bring back Diaz, Barrymore or Lui. 

• Like 2