baumer

Ford vs. Ferrari (2019)

Discuss  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Loved this. James Mangold has delivered the kind of crowd-pleaser we rarely see anymore, and proves why these types of movies deserve a comeback. The 2.5 hour running time zooms by (wink wink), and it works as both a racing movie and as a feel-good tale about the friendship between two different men. Matt Damon and Christian Bale are both at the top of their game here, and they have such an easy chemistry between them that one wonders why it's taken so long for these two certified leading men to share the screen together (too bad the trailer ruined the best scene in the movie, when they fight outside Bale's home while his wife just pulls up a chair and watches). There's nothing about this that'll reinvent the mainstream sports/friendship movie, but when the results are this well-done in every way, who is gonna complain? A-

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

James Mangold has delivered the kind of crowd-pleaser we rarely see anymore, and proves why these types of movies deserve a comeback.

This This This.  I appreciated how it felt Made For Adults without being Pretentious.  My whole crowd ate it up.    

42 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

This This This.  I appreciated how it felt Made For Adults without being Pretentious.  My whole crowd ate it up.    

I also loved that this wasn't at all afraid to fully embrace comedy at times. Not only just because of the aforementioned fight scene (which honestly might be the funniest movie fight scene since Amy Adams vs. the sisters in The Fighter), but also Tracy Letts' entire reaction to the little "joy ride" Damon takes him on after locking Josh Lucas in his office. 

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

also Tracy Letts' entire reaction to the little "joy ride" Damon takes him on after locking Josh Lucas in his office. 

That was my favorite scene in the movie.  I loved the comedy into him crying cause of the speed then crying into "I wish my Dad was alive to see this".  Just really nice scene.

We in the Telegram were talking about how the movie was just like a well-made car. 😉 It wasn't enough to break my AEG/CM/Judy/Blinded By The Light STANNING but it definitely felt like Top 10 (5-10) material depending on how the rest of the year goes.

The one "Meh" I had about the movie was the historically accurate ending of them all crossing the line together.  My brain just could not accept that horseshit.  Even if you had him slow down and still "bring in the Fords together" a NASCAR-esque tali to tail finish would still have been iconic and still let Miles win.  I get that it's historically accurate.  I get that it was BB just trying to fuck Miles over.  But I was like... this is so stupid.  Why are men so stupid..  

• Knock It Off 1

Ford v. Ferrari delivers upon the promise of its premise in exciting ways. Though it ultimately checks off many of the inspirational sports movie boxes, it does so in an exhilarating manner that keeps the proceedings highly intriguing. The racing sequences are exciting and very skillfully assembled on visual and aural levels, fully earning what will surely be numerous fist-pumping moments from its audience. The script is also clever and does such a solid job of developing its characters and establishing personal and corporate stakes in the climactic race that the build-up to it is never even remotely boring. In front of the camera, the talented ensemble works up to the level of its collective talents. Christian Bale once again buries himself in his role and is tons of fun to watch as methodical racer Ken Miles. Though the performance isn’t as showy as Bale’s more heralded roles, he taps into the dedication that drives Miles and the volatility that sometimes threatens to derail him. Matt Damon is also reliably solid as car developer and former racer Carroll Shelby, as he plays well off of Bale and subtly but effectively works in a sense of disappointment with his past as a motivating factor for succeeding in his new endeavors. The supporting cast is solid across the board, with Tracy Letts as the standout in a fun, commanding performance as Henry Ford II. As is the case with many of the other works in his filmography, director James Mangold crafts a superior piece of entertainment with Ford v. Ferrari: a highly-effective crowd pleaser with plenty to enjoy.

A-

18 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

The one "Meh" I had about the movie was the historically accurate ending of them all crossing the line together.  My brain just could not accept that horseshit.  Even if you had him slow down and still "bring in the Fords together" a NASCAR-esque tali to tail finish would still have been iconic and still let Miles win.  I get that it's historically accurate.  I get that it was BB just trying to fuck Miles over.  But I was like... this is so stupid.  Why are men so stupid..  

It's how Le Mans finishes pretty much every year if there is more than one car from a manufacturer at the finish. 

I adored this movie BTW, the only thing I wish they'd have done, and it's the same complaint I've had a lot this year, its that they should have ended it earlier. Having Ken Miles drive off in to the sunset around the track after Le Mans would have been a much better ending than actually seeing him be killed and have a moping Shelby after. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW

I didn't know the story that this film was based, and so I enjoyed it more. I know that this film did an impressive job capturing the southern accents, the acting was spot on. I just found the film to drag on a bit too much without really raising the stakes. And it didn't really have the sports' victory ending that makes this sort of film satisfying. It was a well crafted work, and I did enjoy it.  

Hi everyone. I've got a task to write a review for the recent movies and I decided to write about this movie. I ahve already wathced it and I am impressed with Christian Bale game and I like thei actor at all. But I need to write an informative movie reveiww that is aabsed on critics feedback as well as well as ordinary viewers and compare their thoughts with my own. I have not written such reviews before and it is not excluded that I'll use such services as  edusson.com But I really wnat to try to write it by myself. Can you help me?

All I need is to hear your opinion about actors, director, plot of the movie, which aprt of film impressed your more and with which aprt you are dissapointed. Just a few sentences will be ok. And if you do not mind I'll use some thoughts alredy writen in this post. Thanks. 

This was pretty paint by numbers and mostly a bore. Editing and Bale were the best parts and some nice looking camerawork but I couldn't get into the movie at all. Some tense moments towards the end but that was it. Others seemed to enjoy it though. Probably didn't help that I watched Hustlers and The Irishman the previous days and also watched Knives Out just an hour before.

5/10

Edited by lorddemaxus

the buddy chemistry between Bale & Damon is definitely better than Leo & Pitt in OUATIH.

Bale was fantastic in the movie. Wonderful car racing sequences & sound design.

However, it is an emotionally unsatisfying experience considering what happened to the Bale's character. Clearly the emotional built-up was dull and looked like they don't know how to handle it.

It is enjoyable crowd pleaser but why they named it Ford v Ferrari when i can't feel the tension between two brands throughout the film .  

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

It is enjoyable crowd pleaser but why they named it Ford v Ferrari when i can't feel the tension between two brands throughout the film .  

They likely figured that was the most attractive title to American audiences. FWIW it is called Les Mans '66 in certain overseas countries.

Might be my favourite movie of the year.  Stunning and exciting and entertaining as hell.  I thought both leads were incredible but for me this is Damon's movie.  He just owns every scene he's in.  And with it being based on a true story, it is kind of sad.  I agree with Schu when he says that the film should have ended  earlier.  

9/10

• Like 2

This film is embued with a fantastic sense of energy. James Mangold does a great job directing, and the runtime, though definitely long, never drags. Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Caitriona Balfe, Josh Lucas... Yeah, I think the whole cast is great in this film. I heartily recommend this film to everyone. A