baumer

The Irishman (2019)

Grade it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The film starts off interesting then it just becomes a film about Old Men just eating and existing and becomes a bore to watch.

There are not real layers to this film and frankly this was better off being a TV miniseries and frankly I see no reason why this was over 2.5 hours long.

I expected much better from a director who hypes him up so much.

C

Started off slow but the the performances put on in the last hour but De Niro, Pesci and Pacino in that party scene and beyond was magnificent. Would've liked to see more of Keitel but always nice to see him in films regardless. Loved the little descriptions that showed how all these important mafia folks met their demise right when they were introduced. This was Scorsese's farewell to gangster films and it was beautiful and depressing at the same time.

Only criticisms would be that it was more performance driven than plot for me personally. Also the de-aging stuff on De Niro didn't really make him look as young as they were trying to portray him. He certainly couldn't move like a young up and coming mafia hitman. 

8.5/10 (A)

Not too sure if this is the popular opinion, but the last 30min really got me instead of all the gangster/mafia part .

I was shocked (but expected) again by the brutality created by Marty but the brutality of ageism and dying portrayed here is even more brutal than the violence. Direction of Marty here simply was, you can kill anyone and escaped from being murdered multiple times but eventually death will catch you.

Again, Marty crafted his rise-and-fall drama with his Marty's formula, Nothing new here to comment as Marty is doing the genre that he most familiar with, along with all the cast and crew that has been his life-time collaborator. I don't expect something new or fresh but Marty still has his touch by keeping me engaged with his long running formula. Fatigue has yet to kick in and I hope to see more from the director. 

i feel the film was quite draggy in the 1st hour. The 2nd hour was great all the way to its greatest moment in the last 30min. Also, I think the film perhaps will work better as 3 lead show instead of DeNiro's character narrate about the plot and serve as an central figure. His character arc was not well-developed throughout the film. In fact, his character was rather a tool to drive the plot in the first half . Hofia and Rusell character was way more interesting and should have been explored more . But I guess Marty doesn't want this to be too derivative of "Goodfellas". 

Besides that, for a film that display flashback in a flashback style, have a entire timeline plot on its own that leading up to the betrayal of Deniro's character to Hofia, the film didn't really highlight well to justify why Rusell and Deniro's character have to give up Hofia. In all the focus on the event leading up to Hofia's murder, the film didn't perform well enough to convince me that Rusell and Deniro's character have suffer enough and Hofia is beyond help.      

Overall 8.5/10. 

Rank of Marty's film (The one I've seen)

1. Taxi Driver 

2. Goodfellas

3. The Colour of Money

4. Wolf of wall street

5. The Aviator

6. The Irishman

7. Gang of NY

8. The Departed

9. Kundun

10. The Age of Innocence  

11. Hugo

This was a great movie. It is a bit slow in the first half, but when it got going I wanted more. Despite its 3.5 hours run time I still wanted more by the end and there is no greater praise I can give beyond that. All the actors give phenomenal performances

B for me.

Just......no human connection for me at all. It's an ongoing issue I have with a lot of organised crime movies, but even though this movie seems to be about much wider aspects of humanity.....it's just got nothing that I immersed myself in or found any connection to, nor anything that seemed to be trying to earn that from me.

From a technical point of view, it is very good outside of the horrible physical effects of the de-aging when young men are moving like grandfathers (as others have pointed out the store owner beatup is the one truly cringeworthy moment), the acting is good with Pesci the standout and there are clear overriding themes and motifs present. I just...didn't care and the film didn't seem to care whether I cared or not. And it wouldn't end.

Decent movie. Huge disappointment.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Yeah I thought this was pretty amazing. It may be long and expensive but it's an intimate movie at heart, and it's never boring. De Niro is terrifically understated and the moments where he shows the tiniest bits of fear and remorse hit really hard. I don't usually get annoyed about award snubs but this was surely worth an oscar nom, for the scene where he calls Hoffa's wife alone. It may be one of the best depictions of a sociopath I've ever seen. Pesci is great too - if this is his last movie it was totally worth it.

This should probably be Scorcese's last mafia movie - it's a perfect sendoff and there's nothing else to really say after this. It's a lonely, un-glamourous life and no amount of cool montages with 70s music can stop what's coming.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

I'll admit I wasn't too engaged with the first half of the movie (not that it's bad mind you) but it seemed like standard stuff I've seen before but yes the 2nd half of the film is what separates this film from others in its genre. A rewatch might help me appreciate the first half more now that I know more where the story went and what the film really is about.