Eric Atreides

Corona/Streaming: The End of Box Office As We Know It?

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Looking forward to discussing as I think not enough of a discussion is being had on it.  

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, since so much of the conversation around streaming services is about whether they'll eliminate the multiplex or not

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, since so much of the conversation around streaming services is about whether they'll eliminate the multiplex or not

I meant more of the logistics of it, not the actual overall "will theaters be eliminated" part.  

The other factor that is killing movie theaters, especially smaller and independent ones, is that Disney has almost fully pulled the Fox catalog.  

No more filling theaters with Die Hard during the Holidays.  No more sold out theaters of Moulin Rouge on Valentine's week.  No more Sound of Music on Mother's Day.  Many more examples of how much this hurts theaters that depended on that 10%-15% of their business that often filled lonely Tuesday or Wednesday nights during slow times.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It'll get to the point where only the big franchise type movies are released in theaters. Everything else will go to home video.

I truly believe it will be a modified version of that with everything being available on both streaming and theaters day and date or as close of a window to that as possible.  The best NATO can hope for is maybe they can preserve a 2 week or 4 week window.  

13 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Studios wasting their time on big budget failures. Netflix overcoming theaters because Disney taking over theaters and theatrical studios are getting pussified little ass bitches 

None of this language is needed. Thank you. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

No more filling theaters with Die Hard during the Holidays.  No more sold out theaters of Moulin Rouge on Valentine's week.  No more Sound of Music on Mother's Day.  Many more examples of how much this hurts theaters that depended on that 10%-15% of their business that often filled lonely Tuesday or Wednesday nights during slow times.  

The price to pay for X-Men in the MCU...

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The other factor that is killing movie theaters, especially smaller and independent ones, is that Disney has almost fully pulled the Fox catalog.  

I agree this practice is bogus, and the wrong call. I hope Disney reverses it. That said, it wasn’t like Fox owned every movie ever made. Can’t show Die Hard? Show White Christmas or It’s A Wonderful Life. Can’t show Moulin Rouge? Show West Side Story. Can’t show Sound of Music? Show Step Mom. 

That’s why I think the decision is incredibly narrow minded. You’re not gonna stop the process. You’re just going to force The theaters to show different films. The real issue will be if Warner Bros. follow suit once HBO Max exists.  That’s the real danger. That Disney is setting a precedent. 

• Like 5

I think the problem is with franchise films too. They are sucking up the conversation from other films. We've had some of the biggest original hits of the year one months with no superhero movies (OUATIH in August, Hustlers in September, FvF and Midway in Nov). The fact that we are getting 8 MCU and DC movies (and of course all those Disney+ MCU and HBO Max DC shows so that we can be reminded that these franchises exist every day of our lives) in 2021 just sounds awful to me.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I think the problem is with franchise films too. They are sucking up the conversation from other films. We've had some of the biggest original hits of the year one months with no superhero movies (OUATIH in August, Hustlers in September, FvF and Midway in Nov). The fact that we are getting 8 MCU and DC movies (and of course all those Disney+ MCU and HBO Max DC shows so that we can be reminded that these franchises exist every day of our lives) in 2021 just sounds awful to me.

The DC shows won't make a big impact; none of Berlanti's stuff's ever captured the Zeitgeist. We're still getting 8 MCU projects and 3 DC films that year though. Talk about over-saturation