Eric Atreides

Frozen II (2019)

Frozen II (2019)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

I am a big fan of Frozen 1, this movie reminded me of the golden era of Disney animated movie, the 90s and it was delicious even if Tangled was pretty amazing already.

So yeah I was highly anticipating Frozen 2, even knowing that sequels are rarely as good as the original movie but still, I somehow trusted Disney all along with this and particularly WDAS which never disappointed me. I saw it on November 20 in my current country, verdict!

Is Frozen 2 as good as the first one? I think it is, in some respects it's way better I might say but it's also so different that it's hard to compare as this movie has a darker tone and mostly happens in an uncharted territory: same characters but a completely different environment.

-The animation is definitely superior, the best animation ever seen, it's absolutely gorgeous from beginning to end..They put everything they had in it!

-The movie is funny, serious, magical, sad and full of joy...Many emotions are felt while watching it and it's a real pleasure to have these characters on screen once again! I just can't imagine a world without Frozen 2 because it brings a lot to the mythology with a pretty unexpected end.

-The songs, of course, the songs! There are more of them than in Frozen 1 and beyond the first half this time, the quality is as good as in the 1st movie so it's a real treat. I don't know whether they'll be as catchy as the others for the kids but they're amazing!

It's hard to tell more without spoilering so I will just say it got an A from me, I'm highly satisfied and I don't think a sequel could have been better than that, not much better in any way, they did what they had to do with their usual talent ! I love Frozen 2 and can't wait to see it again!

As for the spoilers:

Spoiler

I've been moved by the death of Olaf, he might be exaggeratly stupid/immature but you still like him in the end, and of course you feel bad for the poor Anna all alone..I had a feeling Elsa and Olaf would be back to life given it's Frozen and all about magic but still as long as you don't know you can't be sure (but yeah, they thankfully came back)...The grandpa being responsible for this I saw it coming so I wasn't exactly shocked. It's slightly sad to see Anna and Elsa separated at the end of the movie but they see each other almost each week so it's not dramatic, glad to see Anna getting the big role as new Queen of Arendelle because yes she's always been my favorite ^^

XdQQ.gif

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

The songs are humongously improved from #1...except, oddly, Olaf's. I may be alone in loving "In Summer", but I do.

Spoiler

I know it's a Disney movie and the entire point of this franchise is "Sisters!!!", but when I had read spoilers, I thought Elsa would have literally died and been reborn as a legit spirit, not just...defrosted and with a new dress. A genuine spirit that hangs out in the aurora, but that's not consistent with the lore of the story, so ok. But she's just human again and abandoned the throne to go walk around in the forest. Ok, it's a nice outfit at least!

If your name wasn't Elsa, you didn't have a thing to do. The first movie is very much Anna's, and this one is Elsa's. Put them both together and maybe you can get a truly great 3rd one.

The bit with the Nokk and the Dark Sea - chef's kiss, the best part of this entire Frozen Franchise. I wanted to like this more than the original (Which I'm only lukewarm on), but I didn't besides the improved environmental animation and music.

I really hope Disney sees sense and doesn't push "Into The Unknown" when "Show Yourself" and "All Is Found" are so much better.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 3

Really enjoyed the movie. Absolutely "feels" like a Disney movie. The film is so "magical" and put a big smile on my face. The songs are great. Definitely a winning soundtrack, although nothing as catchy as "Let It Go".

Funny thing was that I didn't even know what Frozen was, when the first movie came out, until I saw the headlines of it hitting a billion dollars.

Spoiler alert:

People are saying this second movie is the end of the franchise, but I can see them still going on with it. I mean you have two Queens ruling their respective kingdoms now, and one of them just got married. The other is still single. Lots of possibilities...if they really want to make it happen and get it done right.

• Like 3

A bit of a step down from the original since the story is actually more slight this time around and the songs aren't as memorable (although I quite liked "Into the Unknown" and "Lost in the Woods"), but I guess that was to be expected as the follow-up to such a surprise phenomenon. This is still a worthy sequel filled with perfect quality animation, a ton of heart, a handful of laughs (most of which come courtesy of Olaf), and a good helping of that Disney magic. B

The first half is really dull, mostly because the songs are just not good and the male characters get a lot of screen time and add nothing to the film. The "Unknown" song that they blare at us like it's "Let it Go" is awful, and they let that doofus boyfriend of Anna's sing a song too, I almost walked out. Also, Olaf has somehow lost his personality, he's gone from lovable to annoying.

The second half picks up considerably, when Elsa and Anna spring to life. They are still very charismatic characters that chew up the scenery, especially Elsa. And the fire salamander is cool too. Then it feels like Frozen. 

My rating: First half ... C- .... Second half .... B+

Ends on a high note and kids seemed to have fun.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Knock It Off 1

As a follow-up to such a massive pop culture behemoth, Frozen II always had a tough task ahead of it. How do you take a fairly simple yet well-executed concept that blew up in ways no one predicted and make a sequel that lives up to the elevated hype? With Frozen II, the filmmakers fall short of the magic the first film conjured, but they still deliver a solidly entertaining film with some stirring moments and catchy songs. The attempts to continue the world-building are a case of the film biting off a little more than it can chew (and sometimes feels more like a sequel to How to Train Your Dragon than to Frozen), but the returning characters retain much of the charm they had the first time around and the relationships they share with one another are potent enough to make the stakes feel quite meaningful in the third act. There’s no “Let It Go” level phenomenon, but Idina Menzel’s songs – “Into the Unknown” and “Show Yourself” – work very well in narrative context and capitalize upon Menzel’s belting abilities. The other numbers are not as memorable, but they’re composed and performed well enough to click in the moment. Frozen II isn’t special enough to capture the public imagination the way its predecessor did, but it’s a diverting follow-up that will undoubtedly please kids and offer older viewers a solid – if not exactly spectacular – reunion with these likable characters.

B

Stray Thoughts:

- Yeah... I felt the Elsa/Honeymaren vibes in the scene where they talk with one another. There's gonna be sooooo much fanfic about those two.

- Speaking of Elsa: I was definitely a fan of the filmmakers once again using her hair to reflect character development. Here, it's finally all the way down once she has full confidence in her identity. I see what y'all did there, filmmakers.

- Kristof was kinda useless this time around. I was surprised by how well his romantic subplot was folded into the first film, but his involvement in this film usually stops the momentum. I also wasn't the biggest fan of his musical number, though it made me laugh a couple times.

- I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I laughed at Olaf's jokes. After the Olaf's Frozen Adventure fiasco two years ago (though my disdain for that was probably animated by the fact that it delayed the beginning of Coco by 22 minutes), I felt like I was totally done with the character.

12 hours ago, CloneWars said:

One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I'm surprised Disney let this script through. This movie was garbage and that 77% on RT is a complete joke.

My grade: F

I edited, trolling doesn't deserve an answer :ph34r:

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Webslinger said:

- I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I laughed at Olaf's jokes. After the Olaf's Frozen Adventure fiasco two years ago (though my disdain for that was probably animated by the fact that it delayed the beginning of Coco by 22 minutes), I felt like I was totally done with the character.

I hope we officially meet "Samantha" in the inevitable Frozen 3: The Meltdown or whatever they call it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

What a joke (your review, of course) 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'm not joking. This is the second worst film I have ever seen, behind Nim's Island. At least, that's my opinion. I have only ever given an F to two films in my entire life. Usually, I can find something redeeming in movies and at least give them a D grade, but not so in this case. I will be honest, I believe 100% if Frozen 1 never came out and this were the first entry, this movie would have bombed and everyone would forget about it. The reason this is doing well is because of the Frozen name and people convincing themselves this is actually good. Okay, some people might really love this film, but I also think some people are in denial as to how bad this film is. And, it's the scripts fault. This could have easily been prevented with a better script, but what we get is something nonsensical. The male character is turned into a guy who's entire purpose in the movie is to propose to Anna. There is no real villain. I mean to the smallest extent, their grandfather is a villain, but not really. We just learn he's the reason for the enchanted forest. Honestly, not much happens in the film. I guess Anna slightly develops more as she suddenly becomes queen in the end. Also, who the hell is the protagonist in this film? I'm sorry, I found the movie to be a complete and utter mess.

• ...wtf 1

It was ok. The big thing justifying its existence was the expected visual flourishes. Felt like the songs were largely conceived to make up for the thin story and Olaf's charming:annoying ratio was significantly lower than it was in the first movie. If they had to force in a new Pascal-esque "cute" sidekick, I wish they would've done more with him. But I suppose with as big as this will be they can do that in Frozen 3.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Kristoff was pretty much reduced to the background 

I liked that!  Boys should know how it feels to be reduced to the love interests and the sidekick in girls's stories.  I was like, Good Choices Jennifer Lee.  Good choices.  😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 2

11 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I'm not joking. This is the second worst film I have ever seen, behind Nim's Island. At least, that's my opinion. I have only ever given an F to two films in my entire life. Usually, I can find something redeeming in movies and at least give them a D grade, but not so in this case. I will be honest, I believe 100% if Frozen 1 never came out and this were the first entry, this movie would have bombed and everyone would forget about it. The reason this is doing well is because of the Frozen name and people convincing themselves this is actually good. Okay, some people might really love this film, but I also think some people are in denial as to how bad this film is. And, it's the scripts fault. This could have easily been prevented with a better script, but what we get is something nonsensical. The male character is turned into a guy who's entire purpose in the movie is to propose to Anna. There is no real villain. I mean to the smallest extent, their grandfather is a villain, but not really. We just learn he's the reason for the enchanted forest. Honestly, not much happens in the film. I guess Anna slightly develops more as she suddenly becomes queen in the end. Also, who the hell is the protagonist in this film? I'm sorry, I found the movie to be a complete and utter mess.

I wasn’t talking about your opinion of the movie. It’s your words about it that was the joke. And if you can’t take my words about what i just said...then the complete and utter mess (isn’t really this movie (in my eyes) or rather a mediocrity & hypocrisy of a wacko. You actually (Yes, i just said that) Don’t care if you scold me or dumbfoundingly question me for being clueless what i say here, i only speak of what i generally think of overreacting users here). 🙎🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm confused as to what you mean by this.

For me Olaf and his existential panic was waaaay more amusing and relatable than anything else I've seen him in.  It's like they finally figured out how to use Josh Gad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1