Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

No initially the studio prediction was 100m. They could have rather said $0. Zero chance of disappointment.

Disney rep exclusively to Deadline "I don't know, people may watch it if they want. There will be strong competition from that Charlie's Angles remake in it's 2nd weekend so there's that. Women may catch multiple helpings of that movie before they turn up for us, if at all. We have to be patient yes. First one definitely surprised doing what 400m, and that song by Adele Dazeem, but this time we are not sure. Lighting in a bottle thing. We just want to enter double digits you know. We have JJ's SW coming up anyway so that will keep us busy. We will be happy with double digits, rest will come from Japan."

• Haha 3

I am sitting comfortably in my 140m chair like I have for a long while. Anyone disappointed with the number just again shows the lack of understanding and forethought needed to actually grasp box office and how it changes over seasons. 

Expecting the film to play like a summer movie, forgetting to account for it being female led, and ignoring the fact that its an animated film are all points that lead to people making a wrong assumption about its OW potential and its legs.

Thanks to Keyser for all the data, keeps this looking fun! 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, a2k said:

Disney rep exclusively to Deadline "I don't know, people may watch it if they want. There will be strong competition from that Charlie's Angles remake in it's 2nd weekend so there's that. Women may catch multiple helpings of that movie before they turn up for us, if at all. We have to be patient yes. First one definitely surprised doing what 400m, and that song by Adele Dazeem, but this time we are not sure. Lighting in a bottle thing. We just want to enter double digits you know. We have JJ's SW coming up anyway so that will keep us busy. We will be happy with double digits, rest will come from Japan."

This sounds kind of off. They should be happy with single digits and expecting maybe 20M from Japan, where, after all, people might decided to watch Terminator holdovers instead since Terminator is big in the market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I am sitting comfortably in my 140m chair like I have for a long while. Anyone disappointed with the number just again shows the lack of understanding and forethought needed to actually grasp box office and how it changes over seasons. 

Expecting the film to play like a summer movie, forgetting to account for it being female led, and ignoring the fact that its an animated film are all points that lead to people making a wrong assumption about its OW potential and its legs.

Thanks to Keyser for all the data, keeps this looking fun! 

a5854d0739a676060535350bab2a4871.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

how is 8.8-10m better than 13-14m !!!!. that is shitty number for a movie starring Black Panther and produced by Avengers directors. No Avengers boost for this one.

Hanks has been a non-entity BO wise for a while and this movie will at least have amazing legs thanks to amazing reviews and probably oscar play. 21 B has rotten reviews and will disappear soon after OW especially with Knives out next week having universal acclaim and is also a crime thriller.

Sully / The Post were both post 2015.

I imagine 21 Bridge comparable was that 12 Strong and Den Of Thieves duo (around 30M, rotten, one from STX etc..) both did really well and achieved 15M+ and the more deceiving Miles 22 ($13.7M debut) and american assassin ($14,84M).

8.8-10 would definitely be significantly lower than those comp but at least, holiday weekend coming up right away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Awesome for FvF

Is it "awesome" for Ford v Ferrari? I think if it can hit $18m 2nd weekend that would be awesome and set up for a great run over Thanksgiving, but $16m is just ok I think

Edited by Pinacolada

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Was just thinking about that. You deserve big kudos on having great temperament to handle an event film like this.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

This sounds kind of off. They should be happy with single digits and expecting maybe 20M from Japan, where, after all, people might decided to watch Terminator holdovers instead since Terminator is big in the market.

that's more like it :lol:

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sully / The Post were both post 2015.

I imagine 21 Bridge comparable was that 12 Strong and Den Of Thieves duo (around 30M, rotten, one from STX etc..) both did really well and achieved 15M+ and the more deceiving Miles 22 ($13.7M debut) and american assassin ($14,84M).

8.8-10 would definitely be significantly lower than those comp but at least, holiday weekend coming up right away.

Sully was clint's next after American Sniper. Dont think Hanks was responsibile for the opening. Post was not a big opener. But you have a point that he was in movies that did well in BO. Just dont rate him as a huge BO star who have big opening OW.

I agree 21 bridges is a disappointment. No other way to spin it. Plus its bad reviews wont help either.

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jesus Christ, just saw that the Frozen soundtrack opened at #15 on Billboard with only 26k in sales. This is fucking brutal, after the first sountrack went to score 7xP you would think it actually built a fanbase. 

Pretty darn normal for the way this stuff goes. Rarely does a films soundtrack go huge immediately without other elements. The unexpected nature of the first could never be repeated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Pretty darn normal for the way this stuff goes. Rarely does a films soundtrack go huge immediately without other elements. The unexpected nature of the first could never be repeated.

When the first movie was released, it was an unknown property, now, it is one of the biggest IP in the world, and the main aspect when it comes to this franchise is their music. I'm not saying it should've opened with 1M in sales, but a debut in the Top 3 should've been the minimum considering it is the direct sequel to the biggest soundtrack of the decade. 

5 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

When the first movie was released, it was an unknown property, now, it is one of the biggest IP in the world, and the main aspect when it comes to this franchise is their music. I'm not saying it should've opened with 1M in sales, but a debut in the Top 3 should've been the minimum considering it is the direct sequel to the biggest soundtrack of the decade. 

Sounds like a lot of reasons to not come close. Not saying it makes sense, just saying its normal. Also full album sales are no where close to selling in the same ballpark as even 6 years ago. I get what you are saying, but historical data (look at other movie soundtrack releases with sequels) would show you that falling with part 2 is normal.