Eric Atreides

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Whenever I see people talk about what is adult stuff and kids/childish stuff, I am tempted to post that CS Lewis quote I posted in the Fanboy Wars thread. 

Haven’t seen that post but pretty sure I still know the quote :) 

This is my issue with this discussion.  Yes,  Frozen can be enjoyed by kids, families and even adults without kids, etc.   It can be enjoyed by everyone.  

However,  a movie like Frozen or any Disney property really is not going to touch on a lot of adult issues that children simply cannot comprehend and that's why there is a need for studios that WILL produce that kind of content.  

People who act like "nobody" wants adult themed films are out to lunch..  there is obviously an appetite for it and Joker was just one example of that this Fall.  

So please...  miss me with this idea that because a movie isn't four quadrant that it shouldn't be made and if you don't think that's what you are saying,  that is essentially what you are saying by attacking people who want those types of movies and less Disney.   

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

Im a 22 year old straight male who has opening night tickets to Frozen 2.

I’m not a kid. Nor am I a female.

Bite me. 

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’m a 23 year old straight male who would have opening night tickets to Frozen 2, except I currently reside in the middle of nowhere. But still, opening weekend at least.

I’m not a kid. Nor am I a female.

Bite me. 

Welcome to Elsa’s kingdom boys! 
OrganicShortGrouse-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

I've never seen frozen.

Bite me.

Also some November animated Friday openers and some others that may be more or less related.

Th Fr Wkend Th:Fr Th:Wkend Fr:Wkend
2011 Happy 2 Feet -- 5.85 21.2 -- -- 3.62
2012 Wreck It Ralph 0.38 13.51 49 35.55 128.95 3.63
2014 Big Hero 6 1.4 15.81 56.2 11.29 40.14 3.55
2015 Peanuts -- 12.08 44.2 -- -- 3.66
2016 Trolls 0.9 12.37 46.6 13.74 51.78 3.77
2018 Grinch 2.2 18.64 67.6 8.47 30.73 3.63

2016 Zootopia 1.7 19.5 75.1 11.47 44.18 3.85
2016 Storks 0.44 5.8 21.3 13.18 48.41 3.67
2016 Dory 9.2 54.7 135.1 5.95 14.68 2.47

I'm not suggesting F2 will be anywhere close on the thursday ratio as these, but $9m may not be as bad as it seems. In fact I'm leaning towards F2 at least matching Dory's IM, 15+

Interestingly, the Friday:Weekend ratio is pretty consistent for Nov animated movies with or without previews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

This is my issue with this discussion.  Yes,  Frozen can be enjoyed by kids, families and even adults without kids, etc.   It can be enjoyed by everyone.  

However,  a movie like Frozen or any Disney property really is not going to touch on a lot of adult issues that children simply cannot comprehend and that's why there is a need for studios that WILL produce that kind of content.  

People who act like "nobody" wants adult themed films are out to lunch..  there is obviously an appetite for it and Joker was just one example of that this Fall.  

So please...  miss me with this idea that because a movie isn't four quadrant that it shouldn't be made and if you don't think that's what you are saying,  that is essentially what you are saying by attacking people who want those types of movies and less Disney.   

Literally no one even tried making this argument so I’m not sure where this is coming from. The discussion was whether Frozen II/animation films are strictly for kids or not. Not whether adult films should stop being made in favor of four quadrant films. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I'm 30. I'm male. I absolutely love the first movie to the point that I create a sort of shrine for it every Christmas.

You can bet your ass I just saw it tonight, wearing a Frozen shirt and I loved every minute of it.

And this was my most anticipated film of the year.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 10

Posting here again for easy reference.

F2 Previews Update

MTC1 - 120155/434131(2506 shows) +15589 for about 4hr 20min
MTC2 - 113563/412974(2794 shows)  +16105 6 hours

So its at 233.7K. I will again check in couple of hours but 250K looks tough. I would say 240-245K. My range for previews would be 8.5-9.2.

Also MTC1 was trailing MTC2 most of PS but took lead just this evening. But still the ratio is still way off.

Comparisons

Mal 2 previews my final update

MTC1 -  40347/207294(1101 shows) 740PM

MTC2 - 31733/193916 - 750PM

My final number was taken around similar time. So that ratio puts F2 even lower at 7.5m. But I will go higher as bigger movies tend to play wider.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Also MTC1 was trailing MTC2 most of PS but took lead just this evening. But still the ratio is still way off

Is it possible that your scrapper isn't covering usual ratio of shows in MTC 1 because, if this is actually the position, chains data will be fun to watch.

40 minutes ago, Nova said:

Literally no one even tried making this argument so I’m not sure where this is coming from. The discussion was whether Frozen II/animation films are strictly for kids or not. Not whether adult films should stop being made in favor of four quadrant films. 

Attacking people who don't care about Frozen and pointing to how it's four quadrant is a roundabout way of saying adult movies don't belong in theaters. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 4
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Is it possible that your scrapper isn't covering usual ratio of shows in MTC 1 because, if this is actually the position, chains data will be fun to watch.

I think so. Also looking at same for D1 to D3 I am seeing huge show counts. Just that preview numbers are lower. Anecdotally I am seeing lower shows at major plexes in NYC/LA/SF. It also did not get so many PLF screens that other blockbusters got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Tell us!!

So, um...

Spoiler

• Elsa is so pretty and pretty much as gay as they make her knowing that China and Alabama exist
  • The animation is GORGEOUS.  My GAWD.  
  • < SPOILER > and < MANDALORIAN SPOILER > need to have have Cute Off or a Disney+ Series
  • Anna, Olaf and Kristoff got MAJOR upgrades
  • It's a very different story than the first one; for better and for worse.
  • I love that it's a more complex and mature story. It reminds me a bit of how Toy Story 3 is a children's Pixar film, but it was also made for all the 20-somethings that were Andy's age at Toy Story 1 and are now Andy's age in Toy Story 3.  It feels like it was made to grow with its audience.
  • For all this talk about "kid's movies" and "kids stuff" this film doesn't shy away from mature themes or complicated issues.
  • Lost In the Woods is a STAND OUT.  Show Yourself probably's taking home the Oscar.  It is also going to be sung at every High School musical audition from here to eternity.  
  • It somehow feels both like ten minutes too long and fifteen minutes too short.
  • I can't wait to watch it again
  • ELSA IS SO PRETTY.  A+ Character Design.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Plus said:

You have some very confusing logic there.

There's been a lot of "kids movies"/Disney talk on here lately since the Scorsese comments and people coming out of the woodwork to defend those types of family films pointing to the reason why there aren't more "Irishman" type movies in wide release is because "nobody" wants to see them...   

Besides the fact that I think The Irishman would have done well,  it's not even as easy to just boil it down to four quadrant and "adult.." because there's many other factors at play.  I remember when Tarantino had a deal to play The Hateful Eight in L.A. and Disney came to the theater and said no, we want you to play Star Wars through the holiday season and if the theater did not give into the demands then no theaters in the arc chain would be able to play Star Wars..  these are the types of practices that have gone on and made it harder on other types of films.