Eric Atreides

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's a Saturday in November during a holiday week folks. Going to be a real nice increase today IMO. 

Beautiful Day needs to leg it out to at least 50m domestic. 21 Bridges marketing was everyyyyywhere here, a high concept action movie with star power and big marketing should be able to do 15m+ OW, very bad number for that.

21 Bridges should've kept its September release, or STX should have at least pushed it to something like March. This wasn't the time of year for a film like that. Did STX think it was gonna become the next Collateral with critics and audiences? Seriously, that September release was perfect, especially since The Hunt cancelled its release and the only other newcomer was Abominable. If they couldn't afford to release the movie that badly, they should've done a bunch of Chick-fil-A fundraisers or something. Ridiculous release date fumble.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's a Saturday in November during a holiday week folks. Going to be a real nice increase today IMO. 

Yup. It should also be in for a huge gross over the five-day Thanksgiving frame, so I don't see any reason to worry about what's actually a pretty solid opening day.

• Like 1

Oh the forums have full screen adverts now to go along with the adverts after every post. 🙄

oh and the ads with random pictures but thread titles from the board at the bottom of the page. 

It’s getting silly now, a bit overload is it not? 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

Damn... Rougher drop than hoped/expected for Ford v Ferrari. Hopefully it can at least come below a -50% drop this week and hit at least $16m. Frozen 2 coming out and stripping its Dolby and IMAX showings definitely hurt. 

Hopefully over next week (Thanksgiving) it can have a very minuscule drop (like a Murder of the Orient Express, which had a -5% drop ) and get back on its feet. Maybe even a slight increase, who knows. If that can happen, the legs for FvF can still be good. Hopefully Knives Out won't hurt it too much. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I still think people should wait until Saturday's number. It's increased massively in OS markets so the same might happen in the US.

I said this yesterday, I don't know why people were expecting huge numbers for a cartoon on a school day.

Saturday should be huge because parents will take kids to matinees and early evening showings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh the forums have full screen adverts now to go along with the adverts after every post. 🙄

oh and the ads with random pictures but thread titles from the board at the bottom of the page. 

Adblocker is your friend

• Like 1

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood isn't a Christmas movie but it FEELS like a Christmas movie, because Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers is kinda like Hallmark became a person. That could help it. It's why I'm personally waiting till next weekend, tbh. With Last Christmas flopping this will be my "get in the holiday mood" movie.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There’s a sale on gold accounts this week

40 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I still think people should wait until Saturday's number. It's increased massively in OS markets so the same might happen in the US.

Of course we should.  It's a family film released on the weekend before Thanksgiving week.  Sat should have a big increase and Sunday will have a smaller drop than normal because many kids are out next week.

However some of the weekend viewings will be shifted to the holiday week.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Yes but people also should keep their expectations under control. It's a strong possibility that people may have overestimated this movie based on pre-sales while tracking has been seeing a 110 to 125 opening all along. We also have to keep in mind that this probably will not have the WOM of the first one so we are not sure how legs are going to play out. Animated films have been underperforming all year and Frozen may not be an exception to some extent.

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curtis1986 said:

This might sound crazy but could Disney Plus be a harm to the box office as well. I can definitely see family staying at home in the Comforts of their own living room watching Disney Classics versus going out to a crowded theater. 

With the newness and enormous launch among Disney fans, that's very possible...

Weirdly, prior to open, Verizon (the phone which gave a year of Disney + to its customers) was giving free 4 packs of tickets to select subscribers...it got overloaded on the deal, but just seeing the deal last weekend said to me maybe Disney wasn't trusting the presales number to deliver the sky high number they were hoping for (aka - for example, they could have seen the presales were HEAVY subscriber base, light walk up base...which doesn't bode as well for an actual open)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Tbh I would rather have a Disney+ series. Frozen II does a a lot of world building that really deserves more than a 1.40 sequel run time. 

I remember when the Frozen sequel was announced, I thought that there was better potential quality and worldbuilding-wise in a television series, similar to Aladdin. Haven't seen the movie yet, but reading some of the reviews for the movie makes me feel like it kind of proves my point tbh

• Like 3

Update on Dolby Fan shows.

F2 Fan Shows - 13688/20759

i am surprised it did not sell more considering it was set for saturday for a reason and Premium Dolby should have sold out. Plus most of the sales happened very early. Last update probably a week ago already was around 11K tickets if I am not wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

$130 million for F2 is decent to good.

$125-$129 million is sort of okay for F2 but somewhat disappointing.

$120-$124 million for F2 is not that good, very disappointing

$115-$119 million for F2 is just plain BAD and depressing.

Less than $115 million OW is devastating. No sugar coating that.

Unless it makes $30-$35 million Saturday, I don't see how on earth it makes less than $120 million OW. That means it makes the same on Saturday as the true Friday when people were at work and school. That's pretty sad. Then another $30-$35 million Sunday.

Or it makes $40-$45 million Saturday and $23-$28 million Sunday. Seems like the folks at BOP and other sites can't even use a calculator.

• Like 1