Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Also a non-insignificant amount of kids are off school next Monday. Thinking more like 40m -25%.

Yup, past years show its between 25-27% on average, was just using a rounded number to show a "bad" hold still gets it over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

Why does it drop so harsh on sunday? This movie is backload, right? 

See my last post :)

Generally a -30% would be expected during the school year at a minimum for family skewing flicks.

Pre Thanksgiving weekend - which is when a lot of kids start school break on monday or Tuesday - generally results in slightly better holds. 2018 and 2017 show that a -25% would be reasonable and normal.

Given the size of the film its totally possible that it holds even better, but again, its unknown territory since the last time a film opened this large in November was 2004 (granted some such as Grinch came close LOL.)

Unbeknownst to all of us on this site, Frozen II could very well be the monster that blows by expectations that some thought it would be, just that the audience habits are different. That is to say, the audience that's missing from making this a $160M+ mega opener is sitting tight to watch it this week or next weekend. It's like Christmas in a way. Despite the fact that time of year is made for people to fill up the multiplexes on an opening weekend, it's equally - if not more - made for audiences to be more choosy about when they see the movie, which is why most Christmas time opening weekends are actually depressed (IE. Star Wars: The Force Awakens could have very been even more crazy on opening weekend if it didn't open during Christmas holidays, or Aquaman might have approached $100M OW).

In a nutshell, the final total is going to be what it's going to be, and there are different avenues for getting there. It doesn't always have to start with the absolute biggest opening weekend possible for it. I realize what I'm saying is kind of basic, but it's also something we (I, for sure) tend to forget sometimes. If this wasn't opening on the date it is, I'm positive a huge chunk of people who will be seeing it in the coming week to two weeks would have seen it on opening weekend instead and we would have seen the kind of mega opening some of us were anticipating. Either way, it's the same result.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

This. I still remember the meltdowns over TS4 OW and then it went to outgross TS3 worldwide. Unfortunately, people still haven't learned their lesson from that.

I remember legit getting in an argument with someone saying 100+ million opening weekend was a flop. I will never forget that.

30 minutes ago, Menor said:

Damn, it's going to be really close with Finding Dory for the #2 animated OW. That should keep tomorrow quite suspenseful.

Why? With 95 already in 2 days, Sunday shall be 40+ easily.

Edit: just realised Dory is 135, I was thinking more like 120.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tupek said:

This was never going to get Incredibles 2 sized grosses. Some people thought this was the most anticipated animated movie of all time and whatnot

I think pre-Holiday factor is really coming in play. Totally expecting 10 days to be in similar range.

In rest of world its totally blowing past Frozen 2, not just markets F did well.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tupek said:

This was never going to get Incredibles 2 sized grosses. Some people thought this was the most anticipated animated movie of all time and whatnot

Imo Shrek 2 has a good argument for most anticipated animated movie. Opening was insane for the time. Would have broken OW record if it had an FSS release.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Unbeknownst to all of us on this site, Frozen II could very well be the monster that blows by expectations that some thought it would be, just that the audience habits are different. That is to say, the audience that's missing from making this a $160M+ mega opener is sitting tight to watch it this week or next weekend. It's like Christmas in a way. Despite the fact that time of year is made for people to fill up the multiplexes on an opening weekend, it's equally - if not more - made for audiences to be more choosy about when they see the movie, which is why most Christmas time opening weekends are actually depressed (IE. Star Wars: The Force Awakens could have very been even more crazy on opening weekend if it didn't open during Christmas holidays, or Aquaman might have approached $100M OW).

In a nutshell, the final total is going to be what it's going to be, and there are different avenues for getting there. It doesn't always have to start with the absolute biggest opening weekend possible for it. I realize what I'm saying is kind of basic, but it's also something we (I, for sure) tend to forget sometimes. If this wasn't opening on the date it is, I'm positive a huge chunk of people who will be seeing it in the coming week to two weeks would have seen it on opening weekend instead and we would have seen the kind of mega opening some of us were anticipating. Either way, it's the same result.

It's gonna have a big Thanksgiving, that's for sure.