Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

There's definitely a difference between the sequels: Frozen 2, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4.

I don't know how the reactions were for when for Frozen 2 was announced, so there's that.

Toy Story 4 was one where people were conflicted, since there were people who enjoyed the way that Toy Story 3 had ended, and thought that a 4th one wasn't needed. It went on to do well at the box office, and outgross the 3rd Toy Story film.

Incredibles 2 was one that people had been wanting and asking for years. Everyone wanted one, and Brad Bird delivered. Plus, there was that 14 year wait, so there was that too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I've stopped taking this board seriously about animated films after a few users bemoaned how Toy Story 4 was going to underperform and not even make a billion.

The weirdest thing is that some people still talk about TS4 saying it underperform.

Not only surpass majority of expectations pre-tracking like some people proof, but also have amazing legs, and surpass TS3 both DOM And WW, without being helped by 3D.

So just wait, Frozen will do 1.4B and in a few months people still gonna say it’s a disappointment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Shrek at its best (1 and 2) it's a franchise that has a pretty unique blend of kid and adult appeal. You have bodily functions humor for the kids and the fresh-at-the-time meta jokes for adults. The subversion of fairy tale tropes was also quite popular. 

I would argue Shrek pioneered the trend of animated movies that also appeal to adults, making certain ones box office juggernauts. I remember my parents having an absolute hoot with Shrek. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I remember legit getting in an argument with someone saying 100+ million opening weekend was a flop. I will never forget that.

This was not the case for TS4, but there are movies getting produced in the modern era where a 120M Ow would be rightfully seen as a fucking disaster. IW, TROS, BP2, etc.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Frozen will do 1.4B and in a few months people still gonna say it’s a disappointment.

Reminds of what happened with Age Of Ultron and The Last Jedi. Both of those films got labeled as disappointing in terms of worldwide gross, but they still did well at the box office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Reminds of what happened with Age Of Ultron and The Last Jedi. Both of those films got labeled as disappointing in terms of worldwide gross, but they still did well at the box office.

Unfortunately F2 has no shot as highest grossing disappointment. Falling from predecessor is  a key ingredient, and if F2 did that wouldn’t be higher than AoU or TLJ.     

Avengers gers 5 is a great candidate to dethrone as highest grossing disappointment with 1.8B or so :ohmyzod:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

both of them WERE disaspointing.

Age of Ultron was helped by huge China bump and Asian markets else it's west drops were big.

Same for TLJ, 1.6mn was minimum it should have gone for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Age of Ultron was helped by huge China bump and Asian markets else it's west drops were big.

Same for TLJ, 1.6mn was minimum it should have gone for.

The Last Jedi also had a huge overseas drop from its predecessor

The Force Awakens Overseas: 1.13B

The Last Jedi Overseas: 712M

2 hours ago, steve141 said:

According to this site Frozen II just had the biggest single day ever in Japan: https://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55322&start=12425

Is this a reliable source?

Corpse actual data is gold standard. he has subscription to Japanese sites and I think works as Japanese translater. You need have subscription to get actuals that she posts almost every week.

Edited by keysersoze123